IGNORED

Combat Redux Design Contest

Albert

Combat Redux: One would select Variation 1 (Tanks, Open, Guided Missiles), and then one of seven playing fields for that category of play.  

vs  

Combat: One would select Variation 1 and play whatever playing field that variation is set to and hope for a good time.

Right! :thumbsup: In Combat there are only 1 open maze, 1 easy maze, 1 complex maze, and 1 one set of clouds. In Combat Redux there are 7 of each.

Combat Redux: In all, seven different variations and seven different playing fields per the category, making for 49 different possible gameplay scenarios per category. 196 different gameplay scenarios possible.  

vs  

Combat: Three different playing fields in Tank, two in Clouds. Seven variations of play per each of four categories. Ehh.. I'm not sure exactly how to calculate the different gameplay scenarios possible, so I'm not going to try. Significantly less.

:? Not sure what you mean by seven variations per category. It's best to think in terms of variation number and group number. By group I mean a set of four playfields, one from each category. Combat has one group, and Redux has seven. With 27 variations and 7 groups, there are 189 scenarios.

Take a look at the variation table below. Each variation is set to a category, as you can see in the rightmost columns. When you choose a variation, you can then choose a group, and the playfield from the appropriate category will be selected.

post-2163-1074657246_thumb.jpg

Great submissions, everyone.

However...

I haven't seen many open mazes. There are a few that qualify, but we need more. The basic idea of an open maze is that there is a lot of space to move around in. There should be only a few small obstacles, if any at all. I'd encourage everyone to try designing mazes with less obstacles, and even with none. Try experimenting with altering the outside border.

Happy designing!

Zach

Great submissions, everyone.

However...

I haven't seen many open mazes. There are a few that qualify, but we need more.  The basic idea of an open maze is that there is a lot of space to move around in. There should be only a few small obstacles, if any at all. I'd encourage everyone to try designing mazes with less obstacles, and even with none.  Try experimenting with altering the outside border.  

Happy designing!

Zach

Just tell us how many you want.

We'll be sure to keep Al busy. : )

Jeff

I have put up more contest submissions, as well as a more formal page where they can be viewed. Additionally, all the binaries for the games have been posted, so you can try out the various entries using an emulator. You can view the entries here:

Combat Redux Contest Submissions

There's also a zip file containing the binaries for all the submissions to date (over 200!) Remember, the contest ends Sunday night at 11:59pm, so if you haven't submitted any playfields, you only have two more days to do so!

..Al

(Edited some Typos.)

I probably should have made some notes of problems and gameplay I found when making my own submissions... didn't think of it until now, though.

Like...

The minimum space between obstacles for tank movement is two blocks, however getting between those two blocks cleanly is not particularly easy, and generally unreliable in a heated game. So, three blocks is good between objects, because they're far enough apart for minor turning and easily guiding the tank through without bumping the wall and getting bounced back.

Highly "crenellated" walls, will be strange for the Pong Physics missiles, causing some erratic bouncing that could negate some of the strategical element. However, a few "raised" areas or extensions on the wall could be beneficial.

The after-being-shot Tank Bounce. After getting shot, there's a good chance the shot tank is going to bounce or slide around somewhere else on the map, to give it an opportunity to regain its footing before the opponent tank opens fire again. In a map with a decorative lean, one must be careful not to make an inescapable enclosed area should a tank be bounced into it.

Long Corridors are more Traps than Corridors, especiall if they're narrow.

Ideal Wrap-Around paths are even, and if they open into corridors in a maze, the walls must be far enough away from the edge of the screen to allow the tank to cleanly come around.

And these are just a few of the things I encountered when coming up with designs.

Anyone else find anything else interesting?

I probably should have made some notes of problems and gameplay I found when making my own submissions... didn't think of it until now, though.

These are good design tips, and in hindsight we should probably have covered issues like this on the contest page. I noticed some of these issues when testing some of the maps, although I certainly haven't tried out all of them (nearly 300). Ahh, well, hindsight is 20/20. :)

..Al