IGNORED

Combat Redux Design Contest

Albert

I used the clouds mode, but I should have tested it because then I would have realized that the width of the planes are more than the width of one background block.

There are many great cloud designs, it's unfortunate that we'll have to choose only seven of them!

P.S. any word on when I can get a copy of Combat AI Redux+ ?

One thing at a time! :) First we need to get Combat Redux out the door, and lots of work needs to be done there. The label is done, though! Maybe I'll post a picture of it here a bit later.

..Al

Good luck selecting winners from all of the submissions!

Many of the designs are pretty amazing...I certainly wouldn't want to be involved in the decision process!  The selection committee sure has a tough job ahead of them!  :)

Indeed, it's going to be tough. Maybe we will have to do a second cart down the road. Volume 2. :)

..Al

I have posted the last batch of entries and split

Looks like my submissions got lost. Probably they deserved it. :)

Whoops, I see them--will add them to the submissions page, sorry. I need to make another pass to make sure I didn't miss any others. :)

The final tally of entries stands at 282.   :)

This was way too easy. Next time we need a much worse editor. :P ;)

Next time we need an editor that takes the screenshots, properly names the files, makes thumbnails, and updates the submissions page accordingly. :D

..Al

For the record, mine are titled:

Row 1 - "Helms Deep", "Mountain Range", "Mufasa", "Over Seattle"

Row 2 - "Plan Nine", "Ra Cha Cha", "Arena", "Face On Mars"

Would have been nice to include the titles on the Submissions pages, but it was enough work as it was just managing all the entries (and I still need to go back and make sure I didn't miss any before we start the judging). There will be more design contests in the future, with two already on the plate. :)

I forgot to send "Death Star" :(

Very cool, I'm surprised no Star Wars entries made it in. I bet those TIE fighters are indestructible, though. :) Kind of reminds me of Independence Day, with the bi-planes.

..Al

MMF: THANK YOU for making the Ignignogkt, Ignignot or however you want to spell it. Yay for teh Aqua Teens!

Anyways, Looking at them all I see a few different things. Some of them are just for looks, others are.... cofuzing to say the least. Others are meant for play. I'm glad that I decided to pop out a few maps the day the contest ended, they turned out pretty well IMO. (Ryan Winchester, boyeee)

I'm gonna follow Rhindle The Red's example and promote mines :D .

On the first page mine is the Clouds game with a Metroid in it. I know this is supposed to be Atari related but I'm a huge fan of the metroid series.

I love the Metroid entry :)

Three of mine are well-known patterns from the Game of Life.

Thanks to everyone who submitted entries to the Combat Redux contest. :thumbsup: There were lots of great playfields, and narrowing them down to 28 will be a challenge. Albert and I will take some time to look over everything, and we will have Combat Redux ready in time for Philyclassic!

8) 8) 8)

BTW, mine have titles too, I think I had renamed the bin files with them, but whatever. :)

1. - Ms. Tank Man

2. - Hello Sky

(the tank one took forever to get just right, yes, I actually play-tested the entire maze and took the sliding-tanks into account when I decided to make the center solid instead of hollow (and yes, I thought of having an exit at the top, but I prefer having at least 2 ways in/out of any given area...))

BTW, mine have titles too, I think I had renamed the bin files with them, but whatever. :)

1. - Ms. Tank Man

2. - Hello Sky

Sorry about renaming the files, I had to do that to better organize them. They were renamed based on everyone's name (or handle), and appended with the submission number.

..Al

I feel compelled to title mine, now....

On the submissions page, under Mechanized, from left to right, top to bottom...

"Options"

"Obstacles"

"The Haunting" (a less direct tribute to the PacMan Villains)

"Henger" (inspired by Stone Henge)

"Fight!"

"Oddity Upcurrent"

"Cyclones"

"Wine/Face" (based on the illusion)

"Asp Duel"

"Bar Code"

"Rocking the Casbah" (inspired by the Combat Rock hack)

"Confined"

"Amazement"

"Tricky"

"Dedicated to Zach" (after his request for more Open fields)

"Open Fire" (like the above)

Nothing terribly deep, but that's what came to mind.

Anchovies vs Sardines; who would win?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I was wondering if there were plans to update the Contest page?

Last I looked at it, it was still letting us know the contest ends by 11:59PM blah blah.

When I looked, I was hoping to see some new information, like when you guys hope to have all the layouts examined, when you plan to make the selections, how you're going to do it all, when you hope to implement them into the game, how the game will function with the new layouts, when the game will be ready... you know, that sort of thing. (and I mention this not because my hopes were dashed by seeing the same page, but as suggestion fodder.)

We have tentatively chosen all the contest winners, but want to make a ROM of them all before we announce them to make sure there are no problems with any specific mazes. In the meantime, I will share the beautiful label that Dave Exton created. :)

We are going to run a Combat Redux tournament at PC5, this way everyone familiar with the old Combat mazes will have something new to sink their teeth into.

..Al

combatredux_label.jpg

Not to sound bitchy or anything (and I know I will anyway), but I don't think that's a very good label. As a rehash of the original label, it lacks the same level of detail. As a new label it fails to stand out on it's own, like the Miniature Golf + one does.

Just my two cents.

Not to sound bitchy or anything (and I know I will anyway), but I don't think that's a very good label.  As a rehash of the original label, it lacks the same level of detail.  As a new label it fails to stand out on it's own, like the Miniature Golf + one does.

The intention was to make it similar to the original label, but with unique art, since this is simply an extension of the original game. It looks quite good when printed, and stands beside the original well. I believe there will be opportunity to create another Combat-related label in the not-so-distant future..

..Al