IGNORED

Comparison with another rarity list

jstefans

Before I started using the rarity list on AtariAge.com I used a list from: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcad...883/rarity.html

I did a comparison to see if they matched and these are the games that the other list claims exist and were not on Atariage's rarity list (19 in all). I'm not advocating his list, I just thought it might be interesting to find out why they made it on one list and not on the other:

Atlantis by Activision, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $15

Demon Attack by Activision, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $15

Moonsweeper by Activision, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $10

Coke Wins! by Atari, Rarity: 10 out of 10, Est. value: $135

Ikari Warriors by Atari, Rarity: 7 out of 10, Est. value: $45

Pele's Championship soccer by Atari, Rarity: 5 out of 10, Est. value: $15

Rescue Bira Bira by Hozer Video, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $20

SoundX (w/dazzle demo) by Hozer Video, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $20

Video Time Machine by Hozer Video, Rarity: 3 out of 10, Est. value: $20

Bogey Blaster by Telegames, Rarity: 3 out of 10, Est. value: $13

Universal Chaos by Telegames, Rarity: 5 out of 10, Est. value: $25

Cabbage Patch kids day in park by Coleco, Rarity: 10 out of 10, Est. value: $125

Cathouse Blues/Philly Flasher by Playaround, Rarity: 6 out of 10, Est. value: $40

Impossible Game by Telesys, Rarity: 10 out of 10, Est. value: $105

Nexar by Spectravision, Rarity: 3 out of 10, Est. value: $7

Rush Hour by Commavid, Rarity: 10 out of 10, Est. value: $500

Snowplow by Sunrise, Rarity: 10 out of 10, Est. value: $165

Space Chase "monogrammed" by Apollo, Rarity: 9 out of 10, Est. value: $110

Stell-a-Sketch by Retroware, Rarity: 3 out of 10, Est. value: $17

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Midnight ]

Hi Midnight,

I'll comment on a few of these and I'm sure Alex will chime in as well.

Atlantis by Activision, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $15

Demon Attack by Activision, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $15

Moonsweeper by Activision, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $10

These we have in our database, they're listed under Imagic instead of Activision:

- Atlantis (blue label) - Rarity 4[/b]

- Demon Attack (blue label) - Rarity 5[/b]

- Moonsweeper (blue label) - Rarity 4

Coke Wins! by Atari, Rarity: 10 out of 10, Est. value: $135

This we have listed as Pepsi Invaders, which I believe is the proper name of this game (this has been discussed before here, I'll have to search for the conversation). It's listed as a prototype since it was never "commercially" released, although it might need some other designation.

Ikari Warriors by Atari, Rarity: 7 out of 10, Est. value: $45

We have Ikari Warriors listed as a European PAL title. We have it listed with a rarity of 7 also. Was it released here in the states?

Pele's Championship soccer by Atari, Rarity: 5 out of 10, Est. value: $15

We do not believe a cartridge with this label actually exists. There are labels with "championship soccer" and "Pele's Soccer", but none that we've seen with "Pele's Championship Soccer".

Rescue Bira Bira by Hozer Video, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $20

SoundX (w/dazzle demo) by Hozer Video, Rarity: 4 out of 10, Est. value: $20

Video Time Machine by Hozer Video, Rarity: 3 out of 10, Est. value: $20

Isn't Rescue Bira Bira a hack? If so, it should probably be added to our new Hacks page. We haven't included hacks in our general rarity guide. SoundX and Video Time Machine I need more information on, sounds like those would be good candidates to be included if they're original works.

Nexar by Spectravision, Rarity: 3 out of 10, Est. value: $7

This is listed as Challenge of Nexar. Rarity of 4.

Space Chase "monogrammed" by Apollo, Rarity: 9 out of 10, Est. value: $110

No one has ever confirmed existence of this title, so we don't have it in our database. We'd love to add it if someone can produce a copy.

Stell-a-Sketch by Retroware, Rarity: 3 out of 10, Est. value: $17

This one needs to be added.

Cathouse Blues/Philly Flasher by Playaround, Rarity: 6 out of 10, Est. value: $40

This is listed as Philly Flasher/Cathouse Blues. Rarity of 5.

Btw, you can search for individual words to find titles more easily. For instance, if you search for "cathouse" the above title will show up in the search results.

Most of the other titles you listed we removed from our database because no one can confirm their existence. Certainly we'd like to be proven wrong on those counts.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Isn't Rescue Bira Bira a hack? If so, it should probably be added to our new
. We haven't included hacks in our general rarity guide. SoundX and Video Time Machine I need more information on, sounds like those would be good candidates to be included if they're original works.

I think I can pretty accurately answer these...

Rescue Bira Bira is indeed a hack, programmed by Chris Cracknell (a.k.a. Crackers). It was released in 1997, and was adapted from the game Jungle Fever -- basically it's a cleaned up version, changing the "adult" theme to one of rescuing the "patron saint" of classic gaming.

SoundX is a demo programmed by Ed Federmeyer waaaaay back when. It is a 1-of-a-kind, programmed from scratch. It's purpose is to demonstrate different sounds available to the 2600 programmer.

Video Time Machine is also a from-scratch project. Bacically a digital clock that plays on your VCS, with different classic game characters making periodic appearances -- it's actually pretty cool, both in concept and design. Again, this one was programmed by Crackers.

Albert answered most of these, I'll answer a few more.

First of all, that list lumps released games, prototypes, PAL titles, and everything else all together. That's fine, but that's why a few of them didn't show up when you look in our list (which separates them by region). Go to our advanced search page and make sure to include all regions.

For example, Bogey Blaster and Universal Chaos are listed under the European region as PAL.

Cabbage Patch Kids, Rush Hour, Snowplow, and Impossible Game do not exist that we know of. They would be prototypes at best (definitely never released), but nobody has announced finding these games before.

Some of the modern titles need to be added, although they aren't really games and it starts to become questionable what we should include. Should we include demos? Personalized carts? Stella Sketch should definitely be added, and maybe SoundX, but I'm not sure about the others. Video Time Machine is an animated clock - neat, but do you guys want it added? It's up to you.

Oh, and Ikari Warriors we have listed as PAL. We need to add an NTSC version, which we had been trying to verify, but it will probably be a 9 or 10. The PAL version isn't too tough to find though, which is probably what he's listing.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Alex ]

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

Some of the modern titles need to be added, although they aren't really games and it starts to become questionable what we should include. Should we include demos? Personalized carts? Stella Sketch should definitely be added, and maybe SoundX, but I'm not sure about the others. Video Time Machine is an animated clock - neat, but do you guys want it added? It's up to you.

I think that if it was produced in cart form, it should be included. Just because a cart's program doesn't fall into a format that can be deemed "game" doesn't mean it isn't still valid software for the Atari 2600. I find these things very interesting -- Diagnostic Carts, Signal Tracing Carts, Video Time Machine, SoundX, Dazzle Demo, other various demos of the system's capabilities, Copy Carts, etc., etc.

As always, this is just my opinion and I can onlt speak from the perspective of the 2600 (I don't have any real experience with other Atari-made consoles) -- I just think that everything has its place. Even if it isn't a "game."

I should clarify my response. I don't mean that non-games shouldn't be included. I'm talking more about demos like the Happy Birthday cart, the sinking ship cart, the Hozer Demo cart. These have been made on cartridge form, but do you guys want these included? In some cases it's just a single screen title or something, not much to it. We're going to add a few more modern titles to the site tonight, so I guess if you see any tomorrow that we're still missing that you think should be included, let us know. We'll be adding Video Time Machine, SoundX, Stella Sketch, and a few others.