IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

You can have nearly every 2600/7800 title on it at one time with one 32mb MMC card (Except Pitfall 2 I believe).

How many can the other cart hold? And you can't really mix and match stuff, you can only have certain size carts and bankswitcing methods together at one time if I remember right from reading that thread about it.

The CC2 seems much more flexible and capable.

Why is the CC2 so expensive? are the parts really that expensive, or is it mostly due to the labor involved?

The CC2 isn't just for videogames. There's also a special hidden key in it that unlocks the entrance to an ancient secret videogame society. If you hang around here long enough and are willing to undergo the initiation rituals, someday you too may be allowed to enter.

The first rule about fight club is: you do not talk about fight club.

I was really just curious if the parts are expensive or if it's the labor, simply because if it's the labor, I'd be willing to buy the parts from 8-bit and assemble it myself if it were cost effective enough.

sku_u - you owed me that one. LOL.

p.s. all my questions in the falshback 2.0 thread were for not...I gave in and bought ont of these....

post-4769-1111527877_thumb.jpg

The first rule about fight club is: you do not talk about fight club.  

I was really just curious if the parts are expensive or if it's the labor, simply because if it's the labor, I'd be willing to buy the parts from 8-bit and assemble it myself if it were cost effective enough.

sku_u - you owed me that one. LOL.  

p.s. all my questions in the falshback 2.0 thread were for not...I gave in and bought ont of these....

Don't forget that Chad wrote the whole operating system and kernel for the CC2, and that has value beyond the price of the components themselves. It's a great product and I'm glad I bought one. It is, I believe, the only device on which you can play every 2600 or 7800 game, including homebrews, hacks, and prototypes, on original hardware, stored in memory all at once (yes, except for Pitfall 2, but I own that cart anyway).

The only negative for me is that I'm not actually playing the games on my trusty old Atari 2600, which I now have temporarily stored next to all my 2600 carts. I also am painfully reminded that I have to solder in a new reset button on my 7800 one of these days...

I am looking forward to having a lot of new members of the CC2 user community coming on board!

Why is the CC2 so expensive? are the parts really that expensive, or is it mostly due to the labor involved?

Well, for one thing, can't you only have one game on the Kroko at a time? The CC2 has an MMC cartridge slot so you can have them ALL. It also supports a lot more bank switching methods and is probably THE best 7800 dev cart available. And don't forget that it can run 7800 protos like Fractalus.

There are more parts with more labor, and one of them (the MMC slot) had to be chased down to find more so that a second run would be possible.

The dev cart capability was the most important thing to me. With the serial port at max speed, I can have a 15 second turnaround time between changes. I was totally bogged down with my 2600 Red Box code back when I had to program EPROMs for every change, then I got the guts of it working in a couple of hours once I was able to use the CC2.

Well, for one thing, can't you only have one game on the Kroko at a time?

No, you can have multiple games on the Kroko cart; it has a built-in menu system. Having said that, however, this menu system apparently won't work on the 7800; people have said that a Kroko cart plugged into a 7800 will only play one game. See this thread for more details.

My CC2 is also on the way! Woohoo!

It is, I believe, the only device on which you can play every 2600 or 7800 game, including homebrews, hacks, and prototypes, on original hardware, stored  in memory all at once (yes, except for Pitfall 2, but I own that cart anyway).  

Will it play Shooting Gallery?

@Danno--I already own 99% of released Atari VCS games and 100% of the 7800 games. I basically got this so I can play hacks and unreleased prototypes. I had a chance to get one the first time around and passed it up for the same reasons you've given. I didn't realize how bad a decision that was until I hosted a gaming night at my house and got to play games with the CC2 firsthand. :wink:

You can have nearly every 2600/7800 title on it at one time with one 32mb MMC card (Except Pitfall 2 I believe).

How many can the other cart hold? And you can't really mix and match stuff, you can only have certain size carts and bankswitcing methods together at one time if I remember right from reading that thread about it.

The CC2 seems much more flexible and capable.

The Krokodile Cart has 512MB of flash RAM, so it can hold quite a few games when you program it as a multi-cart. And yes, there are restrictions on how the multi-cart mode works. The CC2 is a more flexible device overall, in that it supports removable MMC cards, works with 7800 games (the only such device thus far to do so), supports a few more bankswitching modes, and has a very nice game selection and configuration menu built in. They are both very nice products and a great deal of work was put into both of them.

..Al

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop a quick note letting people know that Cuttle Cart 2's are now in stock and ready to ship. I've opened up general orders.

http://www.schells.com/cc2.shtml

All but the international preorders have shipped. (Well, a few late orders whose payment is still in the mail). International shipments will go out on Saturday. (Post office closes too soon for me to ship on weekdays.) Others will go out when payment arrives and clears.

Enjoy,

Chad

Mine arrived today, and works beautifully. It's great fun playing all these hacks and prototypes I could only play in emulators before.

The only complain I have is that its easy to insert the MMC at a wrong angle and end up with it completely inside the cartridge. So, be careful when you're putting that card in. Otherwise, this thing rocks!

Mine arrived too, and happily displays a "no menu.cc2 file found" or some such.

Next steps are to get all my computers running again to do the interfacing, and figure out how to deal with the software without access to Windows or Linux.

Um, you do have access to SOME kind OS, right? You do know that I recompiled the menu generator for OS X and wrote a serial downloader like over a year ago, right?

And if not OS X, what then? BSD? TRSDOS? Amiga?

Got Mine today! Can't wait to get home from work and try it. :)

Also - Just so you all know, you can't use SD cards; you have to use MMC only cards. The SD/MMC cards are thicker and will notgo in the slot without breaking it.

(I know this was said before, but I wanted to stress this fact)

Just got mine yesterday, and it works great... except I'm having the same problem with Supercharger games that sdamon mentioned last year - they all give me an orange/pink screen. I've made sure they're set to SC bankswitching, and named with two zeros on the end, but no luck. Was there ever a fix found for this?

Just got mine yesterday, and it works great... except I'm having the same problem with Supercharger games that sdamon mentioned last year - they all give me an orange/pink screen.  I've made sure they're set to SC bankswitching, and named with two zeros on the end, but no luck.  Was there ever a fix found for this?

Yes there was. If you go to http://www.schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml and download the SC startup file and ROM and it will probably fix your problem.

I thought I had grabbed all the latest updates to put on the CD. Clearly I was wrong. :(

Sorry,

Chad