IGNORED

2 Activision protos and a ... ???

Spirantho

I now have in my possession 3 prototypes:

Ice Hockey

This seems to be identical but I've not checked very thoroughly. It's PAL.

Robo Tank (Robot Tank)

This is not _quite_ identical - I've noticed the ROM on AtariAge has kind of inverse HMOVE lines on the left side - no such thing on this cart. However, it is PAL so it's probably the same as the released cart over here.

The above two are in standard(?) Activision cases with a red label saying "ACTIVISION PROTOTYPE" in white letters across the front. Pictures will follow!

Perhaps of more interest, however, is a seeming prototype of Space Robot. It's not cased, it's just the PCB, with the EPROM on the front ("SPA/ROB" penned in lightly - faded somewhat), the inverter and capacitor on the flipside of the PCB. The PCB is not a hack job, it has pin holes and PCB tracks for the inverter.

So far it looks like a standard copy of Space Robot, but I've not got an NTSC to compare it with.

@Tempest:

Would you like me to send you these 3 carts for dumping to make sure they're the same as the released version? Obviously I'd want them back! :) PM me if you're interested.

@Tempest:  

Would you like me to send you these 3 carts for dumping to make sure they're the same as the released version? Obviously I'd want them back!  PM me if you're interested.

Well I'd hate to see you have to send them across the pond since things tend to get lost that way. Is there somone closer to you that can dump them? I'd hate to see them get lost in the mail. I'll do it for you of course if you can't find anyone else.

Tempest

Well I'd hate to see you have to send them across the pond since things tend to get lost that way.  Is there somone closer to you that can dump them?  I'd hate to see them get lost in the mail.  I'll do it for you of course if you can't find anyone else.

I've never had anything lost going across the pond yet... as long as it's send by airmail and recorded, it's usually ok. However, if anyone in the UK can dump them for me I'll send the carts to them if it's the same to you.

Just played Space Robot a bit - seems the same as the 'released' NTSC version. Does anyone know who actually programmed it though?

Was there an NTSC version of this? I thought it was a PAL cart only.

While I would love to say that I own the only known NTSC copy of this game, the AA Rarity Guide does list Space Robot as having an NTSC form, and the ROM I used was definitely NTSC. The prototype is also definitely NTSC. What I can't find, however, is who made it - the AA guide just says "Unknown".

there were several PAL versions of space robot by quelle, goliath, dimax, hotshot (raumroboter?). has anyone run clonespy with PAL space robot to see if it is a clone of something?

the NTSC space robot has the same cart label as the zellers ocean city defender, which is a clone of atlantis. but the back of the box (on AA) shows a game that looks more like missile command or missile control than atlantis.

can you post a screen shot of your ROM? does it look like the space robot box back (six bases at the bottom of the screen, waves of attackers dropping from the top)?

can you post a screen shot of your ROM?  does it look like the space robot box back (six bases at the bottom of the screen, waves of attackers dropping from the top)?

It looks and plays exactly like the NTSC Space Robot which is floating around the net - yes, it has six bases and robots coming down from the top.

• 2 weeks later...
A NTSC proto of what is basically a pirate game, probably done in PAL first, and almost certainly a hack . . . I'd bet on it being a Commando Raid hack, if it was one . . .

:idea: Nope, Missile Command!

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

0  Missile Command (CX-80 Trackball) (PAL) (..  · 99 96 97 92 96 71 68 68 59 58

1  Missile Command (CX-22 Trackball) (PAL) (..  =  · 97 96 92 96 71 68 68 59 58

2  Missile Command (CX-22 Trackball) (NTSC) ..  =  =  · 99 96 92 68 71 71 60 60

3  Missile Command (CX-80 Trackball) (NTSC) ..  =  =  =  · 96 92 68 71 71 60 60

4  Missile Command (Amiga Mouse) (NTSC) (200..  =  =  =  =  · 97 68 71 71 60 60

5  Missile Command (Amiga Mouse) (PAL) (2002..  =  =  =  =  =  · 71 68 68 59 58

6  Missile Command (1981) (Atari) (PAL) [!]··   =  =  =  =  =  =  · 97 97 82 82

7  Missile Command (1981) (Atari) (PAL) [p1]..  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  · 99 84 84

8  Missile Command (1981) (Atari) [!]········   =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  · 84 84

9  Space Robot (AKA Robot Fight) (Dimax)·····   =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  · 98

10 Robot Fight (AKA Space Robot) (HomeVision..  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  ·

add MAD by US games to that clone spy comparison and see what the results are.

0  1  2  3  4  5

0 Missile Command (1981) (Atari) (PAL) [!]·················   · 97 82 82  5  5

1 Missile Command (1981) (Atari) [!]·······················   =  · 84 84  5  5

2 Space Robot (AKA Robot Fight) (Dimax)····················   =  =  · 98  5  5

3 Robot Fight (AKA Space Robot) (HomeVision) (PAL) [!]·····   =  =  =  ·  5  5

4 M.A.D. (1982) (US Games)·································   =  =  =  =  · 98

5 M.A.D. (1982) (Carrere Video) (PAL) [!]··················   =  =  =  =  =  ·

Convinced? ;)