IGNORED

N64 Roms

Rocko

I don't think either of the Al's would approve of this. If you have a local Gamestop or other used game stiore, try them. I've seen complete N64 set for under $40, which is not bad. Just make sure it comes with warranty since well used N64 controller may have a bad analog stick. If you have the option of choosing N64 system, try to look for one that still has a 4MB expasnsion pak inside. It is required with 2 games and works with many more or you could sell it for around $20 on eBay. :D

I doubt there are any web site that has any Nintendo ROMs so you may need to try one of the alt.binaries.emulator group or on a P2P server.

I don't have any ROM as I still prefer to the real N64.

look for one that still has a 4MB expasnsion pak inside.  It is required with 2 games and works with many more

It could be argued that it's required for 3 games... Perfect Dark doesn't technically require the expansion pak, but even the game's box tells you that only 35% of the game is playable without it. You can't even play the single player missions without the pak.

As for N64 roms, look on the newsgroups... they're easily the most reliable place.

--Zero

Why does everyone get bent out of shape about roms? This *is* the emulation forum correct? I understand if someone is asking for gameboy, ps2, xobox, etc...but the n64 is dead....dead....dead. Is Nintendo still selling and supporting the N64? Are there companies producing, marketing and selling NEW games?

I'm sure the Al's don't love the idea, but if they were dead against roms and rom requests, they would remove the forum and ban the topic. Without rom files, there's no point to emulation now is there?

Why does everyone get bent out of shape about roms?  This *is*  the emulation forum correct?  I understand if someone is asking for gameboy, ps2,  xobox,  etc...but the n64 is dead....dead....dead.  Is Nintendo still selling and supporting the N64?  Are there companies producing, marketing and selling NEW games?

I'm sure the Al's don't love the idea,  but if they were dead against roms and rom requests,  they would remove the forum and ban the topic.  Without rom files,  there's no point to emulation now is there?

I agree 100%

My local video stores are selling off their N64 games now. (I'v bought a lot of them ;) )

in my mind that means it ceases to be a modern console.

but like I said, N64 emulation still has a long way to go. I wouldn't waste my

time on it ..... plus the consoles are dirt cheap. ;)

The problem is Nintendo could go postal on any site that offers any ROM for *any* Nintendo systems including the long dead NES.  So it's a good idea to discourage anyone from asking for Nintendo ROM here.

Same thing with Sony and Microsoft.

Thank you.

I don't know if I would post links for the N64 roms.  Nintendo really doesn't take to kindly to people offering their roms.

I think that we all know that they are out there and if someone wants the roms they aren't too hard to find.

They are pretty hard to find, most of them are just keyword spammers.

The problem is Nintendo could go postal on any site that offers any ROM for *any* Nintendo systems including the long dead NES.  So it's a good idea to discourage anyone from asking for Nintendo ROM here.

Much like Atari could do the same with a site that offers Atari roms for their long dead systems?

:roll:

Please do not post links to ROM sites containing ROMs for newer systems like the N64. Nintendo has a well-established history of going after sites that post binary images of their games. Most of the companies that produced games for classic systems have turned a blind eye to the distribution of games for those systems, although it remains to be seen how much longer that lasts.

..Al

Most of the companies that produced games for classic systems have turned a blind eye to the distribution of games for those systems, although it remains to be seen how much longer that lasts.  

..Al

With every second company selling classic compilations it may not last as long as we would like :(

Much like Atari could do the same with a site that offers Atari roms for their long dead systems?

:roll:

Well, they still can try. So far, Activision is the only one that got AA to remove all Activision ROMs (as I understand, it was a request that Al complied). Most other ROMs are abandoned and a few still retain copyright (like Atari games) but no one's taken any action to get AA to take them off.

At one point in time, I actually had a near-complete collection of N64 roms. From what I remember, the only games that I was missing were a handful of European-only releases, and I didn't bother with multi-region releases (if there were Jap, NA, and Euro releases, I grabbed the NA one). I leeched all of this from the newsgroups, since there were N64 floods all the time.

I burned a set of three CD's for my brother, and I intended to do the same for myself once I "finished" the set... but I never did. Eventually I realized that the vast majority of the games just plain sucked (games based on Rugrats and such), and aside from maybe 4 or 5 games, I already had legitimate cartridges for all the good ones (I can't remember off-hand when I bought my N64, but I think it was sometime after I had started this collection of roms). Plus, my computer is really too slow to do good, full-speed N64 emulation anyways. So I unceremoniously deleted about 3 gigs worth of roms. Good riddance.

--Zero