IGNORED

Jaguar 9s or Ps?

goatdan

I want to once again bring up the issue of the two Jaguar games that are ranked 9 that I don't believe should be ranked as such. The first is Speedster II and the second is Skycoptor.

Since these games were never produced and released where a person could purchase them over a counter, I feel that they should be ranked as prototype games, if anything.

To draw a comparison, would a N64 collection be complete without a Cruisn' USA game board. The game states that it is running on the Ultra 64 chipset...

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Since these carts ran in actual Jaguar units and were used in a commercial fashion, I don't think they should be classified as prototypes. They certainly are very unusual in that they were used in amusment rides outside stores, but they are Jaguar games nonetheless. Just because you couldn't buy them through normal channels doesn't equate them to something like a "Cruisn' USA" board, in my opinion.

Given that someone produced these carts, they run in a normal Jaguar, and several are floating around, I think classifying them as extremely rare is not inaccurate. I don't really think we should make a special category for oddball games that didn't follow the normal distribution channel. It is important that the game notes detail where these two games came from and that you couldn't just walk into Toys 'R' Us and buy them (Skycopter doesn't have any notes right now and the Speedster II notes need to be rewritten).

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Since these carts ran in actual Jaguar units and were used in a commercial fashion, I don't think they should be classified as prototypes. They certainly are very unusual in that they were used in amusment rides outside stores, but they are Jaguar games nonetheless. Just because you couldn't buy them through normal channels doesn't equate them to something like a "Cruisn' USA" board, in my opinion.

Personally, I think that it equates very much to a Cruisn USA Game board. When that game is in attract mode, it specifically says that it is running on the Nintendo Ultra 64 game system, and these two games do not state that they are made for the Jaguar during their usual play modes.

I think of your lists as the official release lists for any company. Sega has the Dreamcast checklist, and in many ways yours is the Atari Jaguar checklist. Would Atari really have said that those two games were officially released?

Given that someone produced these carts, they run in a normal Jaguar, and several are floating around, I think classifying them as extremely rare is not inaccurate. I don't really think we should make a special category for oddball games that didn't follow the normal distribution channel.

In that case, would my Alien Vs. Predator pre-release demo be a "regular" release? It was produced by Atari and a few of them were circulated amongst people who were interested in programming for the system to show off it's strengths. I believe that I have the only known one right now, but there is a good possibility that another one or two could show up.

It is important that the game notes detail where these two games came from and that you couldn't just walk into Toys 'R' Us and buy them (Skycopter doesn't have any notes right now and the Speedster II notes need to be rewritten).

Might I suggest making a seperate category for games such as this then. They really don't fall in the category of being a regular game, but to the same extent I agree that they shouldn't be classified as prototypes. Perhaps "Uncirculated" would be a better term?

quote:

Originally posted by MattyXB:

I have think about the same by the Lynx game
. That this is maybe too a Prototype? It is never sold official, or I am wrong? It was only a in store Demo. So why it is listed only as 5? Is this so easy to find?

Atari did make a lot of Blue Lightning games, but you are correct in stating that they were never officially sold. Blue Lightning in-store demo is another game that I think could be better classified as "Uncirculated."