IGNORED

Mario Bros. Label

geoffs

Alright, I am an atari infant...i just got a couple of 2600's and one came with a bunch of games...most aren't that rare. However I want to ask about the mario bros. I got. One of them came with the label that is shown in the rarity guide ( http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...areLabelID=286) but the other one has a label similiar to ( http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=541 ) this. With the largers atari logo and a closeup of mario and luigi...perhaps this is a minor variation but I could not find this label. If anyone wants I can scan the label....but not until monday when I am at work.

any info?

While I am here I may as well ask about another oddity...I have a copy of skiing from activision with the standard label...except it is in english and french. So the title reads 'SKIING/LE SKI' didn't see a label for this either...I can once again scan it if anyone is interested.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: geoffs ]

1982 was the year that Atari introduced Silver labels for their games. The Atari 2600 logo appeared in huge font, above a small picture depicting the game. Atari redesigned their Silver labels the following year, expanding the size of the picture while dramatically shrinking the Atari 2600 logo and moving it to the upper right corner.

If your other Mario Bros. looks like the Swordquest Earthworld in your link, then it is the older, original Silver label variation from 1982.

A Red Label variation of Mario Bros. also exists, which came after the Silver label variations.

Your Activision Skiing cartridge is a so-called "International Edition," and was most likely released in Canada.

Ben

Hi Geoffs,

There are quite a few "minor" label variations, especially with regards to the Silver labels produced by Atari. We don't want to clutter up the main database listing with these minor variations, but we do plan on including them in another fashion down the road. Questions like this come up pretty frequently. You might want to check out the Giant List of 2600 Label Variations if you're curious (but be prepared, it's huge!)

..Al

quote:

A Red Label variation of Mario Bros. also exists, which came after the Silver label variations.

I think that variation was PAL only. In addition to that, I know there's at least two variations of that, the standard 2600 red label version, and one with the cart and one piece label of an Activision game.