IGNORED

Good places to find classic games?

Bob Bytchin

Other than the obvious answers like classic gaming shows or Ebay, where are the other good places to find classic video games? I've had good luck at pawn shops (found a place that was selling old Atari 2600 games for $0.50 each. I have hit some garage sales and flea markets as well. I got a box of games at one garage sale for $10...there were over 90 games in the box...not many gems, but hey, it was only $10.

Any other ideas?

Hey Bob, have you checked out any thrift shops?

I have found a number of goodies at the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores here.

Other than that, look in the classifieds in your local paper, you'd be surpised what shows up occasionally.

Good Luck!!!

I hear ya. I'm going to go to an auction one of these days and purchase and arcade machine or two. Maybe even a pinball machine.

I currently live in El Paso (not by choice) and they have an auction here every weeekend. I have a friend that bought an Eight Ball Deluxe pinball machine for $50. It was in really good condition, so I'm thinking that $500 or so should get me something even better.

I just love collecting games. LOL

ps. An arcade that was just around the corner from my house as a kid seemed to get all of the latest and greatest games. I played Major Havoc there as well as Cloak and Dagger. I used to love that place...for $5 you could get 40 tokens...and on Saturday nights it was 80 tokens for $5.

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: Bob Bytchin ]

Well, I went to that Salvation Army. I didn't find any prototypes, but I did find 4 boxed TI games. They're all commons (Car Wars, Subtraction, Chisholm Trail, Indoor Soccer), but I needed them and the price was right ($1 each).

I'm guessing they were cast aways that someone didn't need because the woman said they just sold a bunch of stuff like that. Oh well, I'll take leftovers for $1.

Tomorrow I hit the big flea markets, usually I find good stuff there. It's been a while though, I hope my hidden stash isn't picked over.

Tempest

I love garage sales/flea markets. I've built up my massive game collection quite a bit thanks to them. A good portion of my games are PC games, but I do have a lot of C-64 games as well as a decent sized collection of classic systems/games. I still have all of my original systems/games from my childhood...2600, 5200, ColecoVision, Intellivision; along with a decent collection of games for each. Nothing really spectacular. I also have my original NES, Genesis, SNES, PSX, N64, DreamCast, Gameboy, and Atari Lynx. I'm just now getting into collecting as a hobby...before it was just a game collection, but now it's becoming something more for my wife and I. This weekend I am going to catalog my collection of video games, so that I will know which games I still have to find (which is quite a list).

Thanks for the tips on places like the Salvation Army and Goodwill...I now have a huge list of places to cover in the coming weeks and months.

The Salvation Armies around here (Michigan) have really dried up lately. I'm going to hit a few on my way home from work today bcause I'm in the mood. Wish me luck (come on prototype, I know your in a box somewhere!).

Tempest

Was Paper Boy even planned for the 5200? I know Major Havoc was started, but not by much. I'd love to see anything from that proto (even just a title screen would tide me over). Major Havoc (along with Cloak & Dagger) are my two favorite games. Too bad the 5200 didn't do as well as Atari hoped.

Tempest

Gotta agree with you there. If the 5200 had come with different controllers, it would have done much better. But with the ColecoVision as it's competition, it didn't stand much of a chance. Don't get me wrong, I love Atari, but some big mistakes were made.

A friend of mine worked for Hilton hotels back in '90/'91 and when the hotel closed down, he asked his boss what they were going to do with the Major Havoc arcade machine they had in the rec room. His boss had no idea, so my friend just took it home with his boss's approval. If only I could get so lucky. LOL.

I saw one Major Havoc machine in my entire life. It was at Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor Michigan. One week it was there (in almost mint condition) and the next week it was gone (along with the cockpit Sinistar and cockpit Starwars machines). I'm guessing some collector bought them. I can't believe it was just coincidence that all the best and rarest machines dissapeared one week,

I also saw a Cloak & Dagger machine once at a mini-golf place. Same deal though, one week it was there then wham! It was gone.

Once I move and get some more room I may get an Arcade machine or two. In my current place I simply don't have any room.

This tune is on my webpage, recognize it? http://www.msu.edu/user/reicher6/havocm2.au

Tempest