IGNORED

Programmable Atari 2600 carts?

Ian Primus

I have begun to dabble in 2600 programming, and I was wondering if it is possible to create a programmable cart. Perhaps with an EPROM or EEPROM or even flash memory. I would love to be able to test things on the actual console, and it would be nice to have easily eraseable carts. (People would look at me funny if I went into a tanning parlor with a bunch of EPROMs to erase) Does anyone have schematics for such a cart / cart writer/reader? I would think that it would be entirely possible to convert a Pac-Man cart or something. (Unfortunately, Combat is missing a pin on the card edge connector, so I don't think I can use that) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

You are in luck. No need to re-invent the wheel here. There are at least 3 otions for you.

Option 1:

Chad Schell's "Cuttle Cart" aka "SuperDuperCharger. Playloads and plays every Atari 2600 game.

Option 2:

The 7800 Dev kit (Trac-Mar as I call it). Requires modifiying your 7800 and building a ram cart. WIth this setup you can load quite a few Atari 2600 games and many 7800 games as well.

Option 3:

The Starpath SuperCharger will provide similar capability as teh Cuttle Cart, but will not support bankswitched games.

I don't have handy links to the above site, but a search on any of these should yeild the info you are looking for.

Good luck,

-Lee

This may help :

How to build VCS2600 multi-cart : http://members.home.com/rcolbert1/multi.htm

Schematics for building an Atari 2600 Game Recorder : http://www.gamingdepot.com/2600/

these projects seems interesting, anyway I'll be glad to find schematics to build a system with flash memory.

If you know such thing, please let me know !