IGNORED

Indy 500 XE Track Design Contest - Winners Announced!

Albert

We will start posting entries soon.  :)

Thanks. I forgot that you guys also have to prepare for the PhillyClassic. I don't see how you have time to do it all.

Albert has an army of Lawn Gnomes he brought to life by invoking mystical chants from the Necromicon.

Some days ago I posted an explanation of the lap counter in the Indy 500. The logic in the original game isn´t working very well, you know the cheat for quick laps: http://www.atariage.com/software_hints.htm...ftwareHintID=69

I sure that this "bug" in the game program can be the problem that Prof Procyon has.

So I will make a better document about the way that really works.

It´s a little more complex, because not works the same way on all laps, this permit the mentioned cheat.

Maybe I will need to change that on the final program. :idea:

Anyway feel free to design your tracks, I promese you that the laps will be counted in the right way.

Have Fun...

Gus

I just finished posting the first batch of submissions! There are 68 entries up there now, and a wide variety of very cool tracks. I haven't had a chance to try them all myself, yet. :) Not everyone's tracks are accounted for, there were problems with a few and I will email everyone individually who falls into this category so you can correct the problem(s) and resubmit your tracks.

LincolnBraun_2.pngJeffThompson_9.pngChrisJohnson_5.png

I look forward to seeing more great entries!!

..Al

Thanks. I see that someone did a Yars' Revenge track. Hmmmm. . . I wonder what other HSW game I could use as the theme for a track? Let me think. . . still thinking. . . not there yet. . . I got it! I could make an E.T. track and the Crash n' Score blocks you collect would be the candy from E.T. That might be fun.

These tracks look NICE.  I think everyone's done a great job.  Wouldn't want to be judging. :P

I agree, there are tons of great entries! This is certainly due in part to the great editor Gus put together! Being able save and load your creations, as well as choose the color palette and car starting locations really gives you a lot of flexibility. :)

Btw, I posted another 40+ entries after my last message, so we're now up to 149 I believe. And I have received more since then..

..Al

I didn't know there was an updated track editor that fixed the lap counting bug until a few days after the contest ended.  :(  Otherwise I would have sent in a few more entries. Of course I'm sure Al doesn't mind having a few less entries to post. :)  

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The version 2.1 of the Editor that is online now has the fixed ROM image. BTW I tested all your entries and all works fine !!!

Gus ;)

I didn't know there was an updated track editor that fixed the lap counting bug until a few days after the contest ended.  :(  Otherwise I would have sent in a few more entries. Of course I'm sure Al doesn't mind having a few less entries to post. :)  

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The version 2.1 of the Editor that is online now has the fixed ROM image. BTW I tested all your entries and all works fine !!!

Gus ;)

Gus,

I can't wait to see which tracks you and Al pick to be in the game. :)

Jeff

Waiting patiently for an update.  :ponder:

I am still trying to catch up from everything I neglected leading up to PhillyClassic 5. At the latest, I will have all the entries posted this weekend (probably Saturday). I'm eager to decide the winners, as some great entries have been submitted! And I know everyone wants to see the remaining 130 entries. :)

..Al

Finally! The last 130 entries have been posted to the Indy 500 XE Contest Submissions pages. You can view the thumbs and download the binaries for any individual entries, although the full-size screenshots are not available for the latest additions (I will put them up as soon as Gustavo sends them to me). Many thanks to Gustavo who has helped with updating these pages and much of the tedious work of taking the screenshots and renaming files. :)

With this out of the way, we can now choose our favorites, create a final version of the game (we had a demo version available for play at PhillyClsasic 5) and wrap up the contest!

..Al

Thanks for the update Al. :)

My last three entries aren't there but it's no biggie.

I know there were a heck of a lot of entries to keep

track of!

I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing who the

winners will be.

I can't wait til the next design contest comes along. :D

Jeff

I've put up a ZIP file containing all 271 entries (minus Jeff's last three, which will be added to the page later tonight) that you can download if you want to try out a large number of the submissions.  You can download it here:

Indy 500 XE Submissions (515K)

..Al

Sounds like a good reason to dust off my Cuttle Cart and update my MP3 CD of 2600 ROMs.

BTW: That archive is only 17k if you use 7-zip. (Attached -- trim off the .zip file extension and throw through a 7-zip compatible package.)

indy500xesubmissions.7z.zip