IGNORED

Climber 5 Beta test

DEBRO

Hi all,

I'm just about done with this game. I've put a freeze on game features. Now I'm focusing on bugs, play mechanics, and sound. You'll notice that I took the walking sound out. It's out temporarily as I experiment with other sounds in an effort to have a better walking sound.

These ROMs though are ready for testing (minus the sound).

Included in the zip are NTSC and PAL versions of Climber 5. I've also included a cheat version for both so you can play without worrying about getting hit by the girders or falling objects. I've also included instructions to explain the game play. Let's hope that you don't really need to read this :)

Tell what you think. I'm curious as to how it plays and looks on you VCS.

EDIT:

RC #5 contains Thomas' reported bug fixed and PAL color changes for level 3.

climber5_rc04.zip

climber5_rc05.zip

I can see it now...

Climber 5 (Dennis Debro 2004) F

I cannot reiterate how horrible this game is. From the title screen, you see a logo that closely resembles the Citroën logo. big blocky letters fill the screen. choose a level, even though they're all easy. then you're sent to a construction site that reminds me of donkey kong.  the gameplay could be described as donkey kong meets donkey kong Jr. your goal is to go to the top left of the screen and grab a baseball. you climb ladders (a la DK) to grab the ball.  the speed is unbearable. he moves too slow. it's hard to dodge girders on a ladder. your feet will get kit by the girder and you'll fall. Not Fun! Check for "Climber 5" on Ebay

:P

I can see it now...

I cannot reiterate how horrible this game is. From the title screen, you see a logo that closely resembles the Citroën logo. big blocky letters fill the screen. choose a level, even though they're all easy. then you're sent to a construction site that reminds me of donkey kong.  the gameplay could be described as donkey kong meets donkey kong Jr. your goal is to go to the top left of the screen and grab a baseball. you climb ladders (a la DK) to grab the ball.  the speed is unbearable. he moves too slow. it's hard to dodge girders on a ladder. your feet will get kit by the girder and you'll fall. Not Fun! Check for "Climber 5" on Ebay

:P

:ponder: as well. electrictroy really was your role model was he not?

Question: what does Original mean? Was this an actual game that you re-created?

This was to be the closest I could get to the A8 version.

In that version to increase the difficulty they had the climber increase in speed. By the time you got to board 7 (IIRC) he moved at blinding speed. I couldn't (and didn't want to) do that on the VCS. As you know, Ron, it's a little easier to do this on the A8 as you can increment the speeds via a DLI. I'm so busy in keeping a stable picture on the screen I can't do this on the VCS. Again, though, he moved so fast it made it a bit unplayable.

My college roommate and I would just take are chances when we got that high and just pushed the joystick up. At that point it became who was "lucky" enough to advance to the next stages :D

I like the items that fall! (_)3

I thought you would ;)

I had to learn some interesting tricks from Thomas to get that to work.

Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I like it so I'm satisfied with the outcome (except for adding sound). I feel good about how Thomas, Manuel, and Al kept pushing me to my limits. I learned a lot over the past 2 years.

BTW, Thomas found an interesting/funny bug in this version. If you are climbing a ladder and press RESET, the climber will climb in thin air on the next game :lolblue:

There was a previous bug that got me laughing that was reported on [stella]. If you timed it just right, you could do a suiside and go to the next level (losing a life of course).

This game is superb! :-) The different variations really add to the replay value of the game. The title screen logo and colors look much better since the last version I tested. Bravo!

If you are considering suggestions for sound, I had a couple of ideas. Had you thought about using some sort of ditty for the walking effect? I always liked the way that DigDug music began and seized as you controlled the character. Also, I was thinking that you might shorten the death sequence/music... or maybe just speed it up a little bit. I find myself getting just a bit impatient to get back into the game! :-D

Great job on this one. I can't wait to see this game finished!

I was joking. I think the game rules.

Thanks, that's nice to hear. I know I can't please everyone though and I'm okay with constructive criticism. It helps push you to do better next time.

As for the speed...it is suppose to be faster than the PC demo I did last year. Manuel hit me up on that one :D

So it looks like Climber 5 will make PC5. The question is: Can you make it?

No, sorry but PC5 falls on a very important date for me...my wedding anniversary. Maybe we can arrange something with AA. The problem is I don't want to get them in a crunch. I'd hate for them to be manufacturing carts the night before the show. I'll talk to Al and see what we can arrange.

I can't wait to see this game finished!

Me too! No one wants this game done more than me :D

I feel good about how Thomas, Manuel, and Al kept pushing me to my limits. I learned a lot over the past 2 years.

Yup, you have been an excellent student. :thumbsup: :)

Thank you Master Teacha :D Now I guess we move onto the next lessons.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to run on the Mac version of Stella. :sad:

Oops, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that. Climber 5 uses illegal opcodes so until Stella gets updated, it won't work.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be working on another release that corrects Thomas' bug and some PAL colors. If this is a light day then I'll post today. If it's a real light day then maybe I can get some sound in :roll:

So it looks like Climber 5 will make PC5. The question is: Can you make it?

No, sorry but PC5 falls on a very important date for me...my wedding anniversary. Maybe we can arrange something with AA. The problem is I don't want to get them in a crunch. I'd hate for them to be manufacturing carts the night before the show. I'll talk to Al and see what we can arrange.

No, don't worry about it. I know how much work goes into getting ready for PC5 for you and Al. If you had been able to make it, getting an autographed copy would have been relatively simple (provided someone had a sharpie.) As of now, it would just mess it up and make more work for all involved.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to run on the Mac version of Stella. :sad:

Oops, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that. Climber 5 uses illegal opcodes so until Stella gets updated, it won't work.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it wouldn't anyway...since the game has no profile (right?). How do you make profiles anyway?

No, don't worry about it.  I know how much work goes into getting ready for PC5 for you and Al.  If you had been able to make it, getting an autographed copy would have been relatively simple (provided someone had a sharpie.)  As of now, it would just mess it up and make more work for all involved.

Maybe we could get you to autograph a copy for getting past level 5 in the original mode :D

I'd hate to sign the cart and destroy Jason's great artwork. Maybe he needs to sign them. Speaking of Jason...wait till you see what he has in store for Climber 5. :thumbsup:

Definatly a great game, I'll be sure to buy a copy. I'm confused though isnt this on the Activision Anthology for GBA?

You're not confused. The version that was shown at PC4 is on the Anthology. This one has more features.

Really enjoying it! A wonderful game! Can't wait to see the final version at Philly!

Thanks! I can't wait for it to reach Philly. I wish I could be there in case you do the award show there.