You win --------- Sie gewinnen

That's probably a but to formal, IMO beter are: Du gewinnst or simply: Gewonnen

Victory --------- Sieg

Doesn't sound too good in German (Sieg Heil!), again you can say:

Gewonnen

Game Over ----- Spiel Rüber

This is wrong, correct are: Spiel zuende, Spiel vorbei, Spielende

Congratulations -- Glückwünsche

Glückwunsch or Herzlichen Glückwunsch is better.

http://babelfish.altavista.com was my friend through my college Spanish courses. It does numerous language translations.

Babelfish sucks. The concept is good...but there are too many details that the program can't derive from a simple sentance (like if you are addressing a man or woman, if it's Tuesday, what size shoe the speaker is wearing, etc.) :P

Did you try going from English to Spanish and then back again? The post above turned into...

Babelfish aspires. The concept is good... but there are also many details that the program cannot derive from sentance simple (as if you it is going to a man or a woman, if it is Tuesday, what shoe of the size the loudspeaker is using, etc.)

Not too bad...but not entirely understandable either.

Try using English to German x2 for even worse examples :lol:

• 8 months later...

The SysTran software as used by Babelfish may not replace a human translator, but IMHO it is the best software translator I've seen so far. Compare to Translation Experts' InterTran etc, and you'll get a good laugh. At least Babelfish tries to have some sense for context and has defined different meanings of a word, while the other software just seems to have implemented one translation for every word, no matter if it can be used in different ways or not.

Anyway, the ultimate victory message has to be "Congraturation! You sucsess!" (sic!) as used in the ZX Spectrum game "Stop the Express". It is supposed to be translated from Japanese.

BTW, the mentioned phrases translated into Swedish would be something like:

You win - Du vann (using past tense, or Du vinner if you always win or is ongoing)

Victory - Seger

Game over - Spelet är över (or Spelet är slut, which makes me think of some private detective story)

Congratulations - Grattis (short for Gratulationer, which would not be used other than in very formal cases, like your 50th birthday or so)

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda on topic:

I have been playing Marathon at http://www.ebaumsworld.com/marathon.html I am stuck on level 25, (cpitbullln)

I used a translator to attempt to read the clue at he begining, it got transated from:

"hebelspass auf alcatraz!

nun gilt es zu ergruenden

wozu diese schlter und knoepfe gut sind."

to:

"Lever joke on alcatraz! Now it counts to fathom why this schlter and buttons well are. " (http://ets.freetranslation.com/)

"lever passport on alcatraz! now it applies to fathom to which this more schlter and buttons is good." (http://www.systranbox.com/systran/box)

I'm stuck on this level and wonder if the clue is any help.