IGNORED

Space Invaders Hack Removed!

Saikyo

well in that case the law needs changing so that © are more flexible!

and thats sadly just the plain old truth if © holders dont even have an

entirely full say in what they do with their own © then i believe that they

are victims to lack of resources too! :twisted: :x

not if only the © holders did what they want with it surely

from what im reading is that the company gets a © then

someone does something that the © holders dont like

the fill a lawsuit and the next thing they know they end up

paying more in legal fees than money they recieve so

surely the law of © only helps the developer to maintain the fact

that it's thier property and they can do what they like with it?

as for the idea that they can sue and make money most of the time is

ridiculous! :?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hacked the NTSC version of the game bacause the majority being in NTSC

related areas (yes I did own the NTSC version) and thats why some one

wanted to buy it and I accepted so If you were one of the people who got

the hack you are very lucky

I might try to make another hack soon of another game (I still have the PAL version) so if any one is interested in converting the IPS to PAL format

be my guest! PM me first though! :)

Following my sale of the cart I met the same bloke again today and he is

interested in buying the whole system

At first I said no but now I think about it I desperately need the money

I should know if he wants it sometime on saturday this means I will have to

delete all 25 of my ROMS which means I wont be doing any more hacks after all

Also I will have to tell Ze_ro to remove me from the Hi Score Club! :sad:

(PS should I have posted this in this thread? or a different one?)

EDIT damn that means ill have to break that CD-R i did for my DC as well!

Well you see Vb it's like this I have already said to him that he gets all the games

included so I said give me a price by saturday and Ill let you know, ok

He already has a unit already but wants my one for a spare just incase

the only games he has are

Donkey Kong

Outlaw

and of course

Space Invaders (NTSC) which I sold him but cant play due to Tv restrictions

(He only wanted so he had something different in his small collection)

And this guy is really looking foward to play on River Raid

so I cant really back down (It wouldn't be very manlike if I did)

Any way he might not even decide to get it yet he said "If my money comes in at the right time then Ill have it off you!"

I really know what you mean though it's ashame that i wont be able to play 2600

games again for awhile but still I will always say most Atari games beat most

of the new stuff out there at the moment

and will continue to love the 2600 :)

PS If only © wasn't so strict, Ive heard that in some countries it is actually

legal to have roms that you dont own! Is this true? If it is then when I get older I might live abroad! :lol:

PS If only © wasn't so strict, Ive heard that in some countries it is actually

legal to have roms that you dont own! Is this true? If it is then when I get older I might live abroad!

Umm, how old are you? Also, you make it sound like the cops search your house on a regular basis looking for roms. You seem too paranoid. Are you some sort of Rom NARC trying to get people to confess they have roms they dont own?

Your a strange character.

-Tim :)

@ pmpddytim I am only in my teens and still have to pass my GCSE

and why would you think that I am a rom NARC? I just made a statement

saying that I wish that © wasn't so stringent!

Honestly even I get confused sometimes! :)

@ bjk7382 where did you actually get that information from? I cant find the info on atariage its self

and when I search for similar results on a search engine the only sites I find

tell me this "It is ILLEGAL to download and play the atari roms that you dont actually own"

If this has changed with most of the roms in any way please PM me telling

me where you found the info cuz if it is true then at least Ill be able to play

most of the games without being done

But I really dont think it is so if im right, when I sell it on saturday im afraid I will be deleting the roms forever

PS pmpddytim I know that millions of people are downloading the Illegal rom content

all the while 24/7 so I probably dont need to ask who has them or not

as most people here have probably got them

But still what others do is not my buisness so dont worry ok? :)

ANY roms of copyrighted material which has not been formerly declared public domain are illegal to have on your computer if you do not own the real deal. No exceptions.

* Copyright law in regards to "dead" systems (i.e. software that is no longer sold by the creator) is akin to jaywalking. Everybody knows it's there, but nobody enforces it (unless copyrighted CHARACTERS or situations are also currently being used...see Nintendo). It would simply be more trouble to the owner than it's worth...and they would be the sole loser in prosecuting such a case, even if they won.

But I'm convinced that Atari has no plans to prosecute such a case against AA. If that were true, it would have already been done. AA is not unknown to them. And besides, it helps keep the word "Atari" current :)

Yup, almost everything I am doing (disassembling games, using other peoples ideas for my own games, collecting ROMs on my HD...) is happening in a grey zone.

As long as I don't harm anybody, that's perfectly ok for me, but legally I am violating some (in my case IMO stupid) laws.

Thought so thanks Nukey what ill do is simply wait for a public response

(even if that takes years) before i know what what the situation of the matter is

So I will only have the roms that are public domain on my PC until i get the originals

then I will get someone to make me a new dumper my old one died 2 years ago so I threw it away (stupidly instead of keeping the spare parts!)

and if no one will do it for me, I forget how to do it myself so ill have to find documentation!

BTW I have heard conflicting reports that these ROM dumpers are also

illegal even if it's only for personal use! Is this true Nukey? :?

@ Thomas using other peoples ideas in games isnt illegal only using the same name

of the game is illegal for example if you wanted to make a Pac-Man style game

that would be ok as long as you call it something different

Think about it if that was illegal then NAMCO would have been sued for making

Tekken when Sega made Virtua Fighter.

The government knows that there isn't any infinite ideas so they overrule

this law (unlike back in the day with the Pac-Man Vs K.C. Munchkin case)

and I really dont understand why dissassembling games is illegal as long

as you dont sell thier modified source code and more developers are learning

that it prolongs thier games and gets more buyers!

soon disassembly will be totally LEGAL! im sure (dunno about roms though!)

PS sorry if this post is too long :ponder:

Thought so thanks Nukey what ill do is simply wait for a public response (even if that takes years) before i know what what the situation of the matter is
Situation of what matter?

So I will only have the roms that are public domain on my PC until i get the originals then I will get someone to make me a new dumper my old one died 2 years ago so I threw it away (stupidly instead of keeping the spare parts!) and if no one will do it for me, I forget how to do it myself so ill have to find documentation!
If you already OWN the carts, it's perfectly legal for you to have a copy of it on your PC...even if the copy came from the internet (it would be a file containing identical data to what you already paid for. Sharing the rom file would still fall into the grey zone, tho. But as stated, companies aren't interested in prosecuting anyone for roms that they no longer have a finacial interest in (whether it applies to the actual code, or just the characters themselves).

BTW I have heard conflicting reports that these ROM dumpers are also illegal even if it's only for personal use! Is this true Nukey? :?
You heard wrong. If you are backing up games that you already own, no foul.

@ Thomas using other peoples ideas in games isnt illegal only using the same name of the game is illegal for example if you wanted to make a Pac-Man style game that would be ok as long as you call it something different
True, but I believe that he is referring to duplicating routines found within those games. Think of it this way, if an author writes a book, no excerpts of that book can be printed in a magazine or newspaper without the author's permission. It's not the entire book, but even parts of it cannot be used. Articles which would be reviewing or analyzing the work would fall within the "grey zone"...it's permitted as long as the original title is referenced and the article isn't intended to be using the parts as part of another work (i.e. mentioning parts of the new Star Wars movie would be OK...making your own story with Star Wars characters would not be).

Think about it if that was illegal then NAMCO would have been sued for making Tekken when Sega made Virtua Fighter.
Not at all. George Lucas couldn't sue you for writing a science-fiction novel...even if you used concepts that he did (like light speed, laser swords, masked villians, etc.). If Tekken were using actual subroutines of the game itself or copyrighted characters, then they could have. You can't copyright the aspect like "fighter"...just like you can't copyright the concept of "science fiction".

The government knows that there isn't any infinite ideas so they overrule this law (unlike back in the day with the Pac-Man Vs K.C. Munchkin case) and I really dont understand why dissassembling games is illegal as long as you dont sell thier modified source code and more developers are learning that it prolongs thier games and gets more buyers!

soon disassembly will be totally LEGAL! im sure (dunno about roms though!)

Disassembling is not illegal...just having the rom is (unless you own it). And posting disassemblies is just as illegal as posting the actual rom. Something for nothing. And while straight disassemblies are not illegal if they remain unshared, disassemblies which have been altered (like modifying it to include labels instead of the values) ARE illegal...the same as if you had altered any byte of the program. Even if you own the game. They sold you the binary...not the source code that creates the binary.

KC Munchkin was an interesting case, because Atari argued that the gameplay and characters mimicked the existing copyright too closely...replicating the game in effect. The courts at the time agreed...only because such a thing was relatively new...and Atari had a lotta big bucks to change their minds :P