IGNORED

To 3DO or not to 3DO? This is the question....

I just purchased a Goldstar 3DO with one controller and two games(Space Ace and FIFA Soccer) for 30 dollars. I thought I had done well, that is until I hooked it up and realized the controller was meant for the PC and not the console. :x :sad: I also noticed that there is only one controller slot so I guess I'll have to pay more for a controller tap. I put in the cds and noticed that they do load properly and they look a little better than Sega Cd quality. So many questions crashing around in my mind and I'm not sure if I did okay with my purchase. It is pretty neat that it has S-video outputs for such an old system. What are the games that are worth keeping my system for? Interested in the best in each game genre. I would love to have a good golf game. I have asked one other person about my purchase and he recommended I get Street Fighter and Star....something....II. :ponder: I'm upset that I don't have a controller and now with the extra time to think about the entire system I welcome the pro's and con's of the system; is it a fun/worthwhile system or just interesting to look at?. :?:

I consider it a fairly okay system since I picked up a FZ-1 for $60 with 15 brand new games - I would have been upset if I paid the original ($599?) price tag back in the early 90s :) Most of the games that I've gotten are either FMV type games (like many SegaCD games) or some early polygon type games. The wife plays Twisted on it occasionally (game show type game), and I might play a round of Lemmings or some Theme Park on it.

BTW, you don't need a team-tap, each controller plugs into the previous one - daisy chain type.

Is it expensive to get the connection to play VCDs? Too bad it wouldn't be able to play DVD. It must have been pretty novel at the time though; actually it still is or I wouldn't have purchased it. ;) I've found that the games are quite cheap too. I'm starting to form a better opinion. I saw on ebay that they have ten controllers in one auction! What is the largest multi-player game for the system. Thanks for letting me pick your brains. :)

I had one and found it rather 'blah'. I quickly sold it. As far as the better games in the library go, I already had a lot of those (Amiga ports)games for my Jaguar, some of the other good games like Battlesport (?), PO'ed, Starfighter, Return Fire, they can found for the PS and/or Saturn cheaply and are usually the superior versions. There were a few still 3DO exclusive games that looked interesting that I owned like Paatank and that game where you fly around the city with a propeller backpack on. Paatank was a game that was better on paper than it's actual execution and the other 3d games will make you puke they're so choppy and they have the ugly, lo-res, primitive texture mapped look(headache inducing). Your not missing much.

well atleast you got the Goldstar system which has the easiest and cheapest VCD adaptor to find and purchace, i got mine for $35 boxed off ebay and ive seen them go alittle cheaper then that (for the other 2 - 3do consoles your looking at $75+ loose)

and the game is Star Control 2 , the controllers connect into each other and i think the game Twisted and Zhadnost can use up to 5 players or 6 im not sure but i know 5 will because i had 5 people playing it once :)

and here is some good reading on 3do stuff from AA :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...7&highlight=3do

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...0&highlight=3do

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...0&highlight=3do

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...4&highlight=3do

Thanks Lemmi!!  All of the links are appreciated. :thumbsup:   I was looking for the Street Fighter, but it's only in PAL countries.  I picked up two controllers with shipping including for 10.50 so I can start playing the games I have in a few weeks. :)

all 3do games will play on all consoles, there are just a few from japan that wont play on US systems