IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

Let me rephrase that...

Hahaha....you got me good!

Programming details! :lust:  Is it going to be turned into a cart?  Is it still being worked on?  Do you need any help scraping up free space?  It's sooo close to being arcade perfect! :love:

Enter 4 0 1 on the title screen to unlock another level on the 5200 version.

Was there a C64 version by DE? I think every other non-Mattel version is on a Z80 platform (CV,TI99,MSX) that wouldn't have been easily converted . . .

Just to be a stickler, the TI-99/4A didn't use a Z80. It used TI's own TMS9900 processor. But all three platforms used the same graphics chip.

Let me rephrase that...

Hahaha....you got me good!

Programming details! :lust:  Is it going to be turned into a cart?  Is it still being worked on?  Do you need any help scraping up free space?  It's sooo close to being arcade perfect! :love:

Enter 4 0 1 on the title screen to unlock another level on the 5200 version.

Err...is that a yes? :?

April 1st makes me so confused :sad:

The scary part is I wrote it specifally for an April Fools release. I started the current version a couple of months ago and spent a large part of my spare time on it (and some full weekends).

Here are answers to various questions/comments:

No free men seem to ever get rewarded. So you are stuck with what you get initially.
Doh, forgot that.

Sometimes the pepper counter will display the wrong digit for a second or two after picking up an item and then correct itself.

I haven't seen this happen? It display a different digit, or doesn't update until the sound completes? The whole bonus pepper object, and earning extra peppers was added very late on March 31st, so the timing, and stuff may be a little buggy.

Only 4 boards then they repeat.
Two more to go. I thought I was running low on space because I was trying to keep it to 16K for an 8-bit computer non-bank switched cartridge, but then realized I over allocated 2K for the fonts, so I have fair amount of space plus the screens could be crunched some. I also, could just allow the 5200, and computer disk images version to have more screens.

Red Cheese slices?
Red tomato slices. There is another object that is white/orangish in the origina..maybe an onion which I do not have and probably will not since I am out of font characters (each object needs 16)

Where is Mr. Pickle and Fry?
Didn't have time to add a pickle image, but should take little effort.

Difficulty never ramps up from initial setting. However I didn't try it under a different difficulty level other than the default of Medium...hmm..I wonder....
wow, thanks ken. Been playing it all day on a 5200 emu, the difficulty doesn't seem to ramp up too much as mentioned
Overall speed "should" increase slightly with each 4 board completed. I need to have it increase the enemy speeds more in relation to the chef's speed which is doable but I didn't have time. Right now it does play too easy.

To Do's:

1. Add pickle shape

2. Display more than 3 enemies at once, which will require some PM multiplexing which will take some work.

3. When you drop an enemy, the pieces should drop farther. This will be a pain to implement but I have some ideas.

4. Work more on the enemy AI (it not great, but much better than it was a couple hours before release).

5. Maybe make having an enemy drop be a little more relaxed. Currently if an enemy is one pixel up or down a ladder they will not drop.

I will also remove the data east copyright, it was just there to confound and confuse. I toyed with using Mattel or M-Network, but figured there would be too much info out there to contradict it...and Donkey Kong (for the computers) says copyright by Nintendo and doesnt even mention Atari if I remmeber right so I didnt think putting the original company name would be too off.

Great game, so was this hacked from one of the other versions of BT for the 8bit or was it written from the ground up?
Written from the ground up, although I did write the 8-bit burger time (a long time ago) that loads the different screen from disk usually seen in ATR's around on various sites. This uses none of the code from that one which was in Action with some ML (for bun drops)

Just in case you don't know. The enemies fall two levels down when on a burger part that is walked over. So they only have to fall one more level I believe.

You asked about the pepper count. Here is what I saw happen once early in the second level when I first fired it up. The pepper counter had been at 4. I used two really quickly to drop an egg and wiener at the same time. So the counter shows 2...correctly. I then ran over and picked up either some fries or perhaps a root beer. And the counter again said 4? But then like a second or two later dropped back to the correct number of 3. This happened again on a much later round after I had turned them over several times. I had 4 and it displayed 6. I stayed there on that run however, and did drop to 5 upon using my next pepper. On that one I am fairly certain I picked up some fries.

Overall, you simply have to complete this. It is nearly arcade perfect minus the chefs hat being way too big and some sounds were slightly off plus the other stuff you already know about. STILL...this is AWESOME work Ken.

If you do complete this, keep the April Fools code in there as your easter egg...hehe...would make for some great history later. How many other games were created initially for an April Fools joke and ended up being complete homebrews?

Thomas's Turbo does't count since he never programmed it to be made into a game and even stated that it would have to basically be rewritten.

8)

Geez! When you do an April Fools joke you really go all out! Had I not been the crazy proto researcher that I am I probably would have fallen for it, but then again 5200 prototypes are my specialty. :)

Great job though, I can't wait to see what it looks like when its finished.

Tempest

All I gotta say is: If you want a legit proto to be taken seriously, DO NOT announce it's release on APRIL FOOLS DAY! Sheesh...

Like I said elsewhere, I think that's the joke. We're all expecting a fake proto to be released today, what with the I Robot and Turbo jokes played in previous years. What better thing to do than release a LEGIT proto on April Fools!

Ah, and you fell for it Inky... errr... Shortly. :D