IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

I found I was accidently setting the keyboard debounce bit, which maybe could have effect on reading the keys on a 5200?? Here is a new build to try to see if the start button works now on a real 5200. [attachment removed, download later version below]

I found I was accidently setting the keyboard debounce bit, which maybe could have effect on reading the keys on a 5200??  Here is a new build to try to see if the start button works now on a real 5200.

I'll have to try it this weekend when I get home. I'm up at my folks' house and dont have my 5200. (I should have brought it instead of the Gamucube! :sad: )

I found I was accidently setting the keyboard debounce bit, which maybe could have effect on reading the keys on a 5200??  Here is a new build to try to see if the start button works now on a real 5200.

If you set the debounce bit, you'll get no keypresses for some reason. I haven't figured out exactly why.

-Bry

If you set the debounce bit, you'll get no keypresses for some reason. I haven't figured out exactly why.

-Bry

Hopefully it may be fixed now on a real 5200. I actually wasn't setting that bit, but accidently do set it again in some later code I must have accidently copied from something else.

Here's what I think is happening with debounce on the 5200.

There are 6 keyboard counter lines that are used in scanning. Pokey counts from 0 to 63 on these lines, and waits for the condition that causes KR1 to go low. Then you get an IRQ and the count value becomes the KBCODE value unless debounce is on...

When debounce is on, the count value is discarded if more than one count value causes KR1 to go low. Then the value is compared against the last valid value to see if the same key is being held down. Only new keypresses generate an IRQ.

The problem is this: The 5200 doesn't have 2 of its keyboard counter lines connected. This means that a keypress will show up 4 times (with different codes) during a cycle. This is why Atari masks off the unwanted bits - they could be anything, and this is why debounce mode throws all keys away - it thinks you're holding 4 keys down!

Anyway, this makes key reading a bit more complicated on the 5200, and it means that a keypress causes a shower of IRQ's, which is why I prefer to poll for interrupt bits, then read KEYCODE, since it will hold the last count value saved.

-Bry

New Beta version. Pieces now drop multiple levels when you drop an enemy. It still needs to drop the pieces more levels if dropping more than one enemy but it is a start. Also fixed a few other minor bugs here and there. [attachment removed, download later version below]

PLaying on Atariwin800 this was awesome!

I found 2 things though:

1. On some levels I wouldnt get any extra peppers no matter how long I played the level. Then on the next level I would get pepper after pepper

2. I was luring Mr Hot Dog and Mr Egg acroos a bun and when it dropped Mr Egg was just on the edge of the bun. He didnt fall but then got stuck and didnt move almost like he was waiting for the fall :)

Lots of fun - thanks!

I was playing the Atari800 bin version.

Yeap...I can confirm the sprite not falling bit. I haven't had Egg do it..but on the third level I had it happen twice with Mr. Wiener. Basically if you drop one of them on a bun that goes past a lower level that has a platform end just where the bun falls past, this is where they get stuck. I actualy had one fall from the level above, and get stuck on the edge of the platform one level below.

Also, I may have been incorrect in how the buns fall previously. I think if there is only one enemy on the bun when you drop it, it will drop not to the next level but the level right after that. Currently no matter how many are on the bun it will always drop 3 levels and that is too many.

I think you also ramped up the difficulty again from the last release, because I barely able to clear all 4 boards this time on the medium level. I had no problems with that before. As for the better bit, I can't say that I have really noticed any times when no peppers were given. I don't know what you have keying off the bonus items for the better. But I believe on the arcade it was when you dropped enemies on the buns. But I can't recall the exact behaviour of this.

Ehh...nit picky bunch I know...but we wouldn't tell you this stuff Ken if we didn't care. And believe me...we ALL want to see this one on a cart in the future.

Keep up the awesome work Ken!!

:D

Yeap...I can confirm the sprite not falling bit. I haven't had Egg do it..but on the third level I had it happen twice with Mr. Wiener. Basically if you drop one of them on a bun that goes past a lower level that has a platform end just where the bun falls past' date=' this is where they get stuck. I actualy had one fall from the level above, and get stuck on the edge of the platform one level below.[/quote']Does it actually still do that in the current version? I will check it out. I thought I had fixed that problem, but sometimes fixing one thing breaks another

Also' date=' I may have been incorrect in how the buns fall previously. I think if there is only one enemy on the bun when you drop it, it will drop not to the next level but the level right after that. Currently no matter how many are on the bun it will always drop 3 levels and that is too many.[/quote']Are you sure about that. In MAME it seem to drop 3 levels or in general maybe 1 level + 2 times the number of enemies.

I think you also ramped up the difficulty again from the last release' date=' because I barely able to clear all 4 boards this time on the medium level. I had no problems with that before. As for the better bit, I can't say that I have really noticed any times when no peppers were given. I don't know what you have keying off the bonus items for the better. But I believe on the arcade it was when you dropped enemies on the buns. But I can't recall the exact behaviour of this.[/quote'] If anyone can figure out the algorithm on when pepper bonus object appears let me know. I am more or less using random number generation and limiting it to appear a certain number of times based on game difficulty level.

Ken,

I can confirm the sprite not falling having tried the newest version today.

As for the peppers - My recollection is that it would appear after a certain amount of time on the board and usually no more than 2 per board?

The current implementation under Atari800win (which could be the problem) is I get none on 1 board and then get one every 10 seconds on the next. I think the emus dont do random #'s the same as the real deal though.

Again - thanks for the effort on this - it really has turned out awesome even in its current state!

Ken,

I can confirm the sprite not falling having tried the newest version today.

I found the problem I think. That was a bug I had fixed at one time, and then reintroduced it when rearranging some code.

As for the peppers - My recollection is that it would appear after a certain amount of time on the board and usually no more than 2 per board?

Currently they are being generated randomly (and should be a delay before they can appear on a board when starting a level, or starting a new life). I limit it to appearing 4 times on easy, 3 on medium, and 2 on hard. The algorithm used definately needs some work.

The current implementation under Atari800win (which could be the problem) is I get none on 1 board and then get one every 10 seconds on the next.  I think the emus dont do random #'s the same as the real deal though.

Again - thanks for the effort on this - it really has turned out awesome even in its current state!

No problem and you are welcome. New binaries will probably be posted later tonight. I like people reporting problems, since it gets old replaying levels and trying to trigger weird conditions over and over.

That is an ugly Mr. Pickle, but at least he's green and it makes him scarier too :)

The game is coming along great, the arcade game on Mame aside I can't think of another home version that I've enjoyed playing more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say....PLEASE put

Burgertime on a cartidge! I certainly would buy one.

All I have right now is the NES version,

I doubt if I'll ever find the Aquarius version.

As someone else said, it's a great time

to be a 5200 owner!!

When my tax refund comes, I think I'll treat myself

to a few 5200 repros/homebrews..

Marc

:)

Awesome - Alot harder and Mr Pickle looks good :) - Wonder how this compares to the released C64 version?

Also,

Not sure but I think there is an issue with the enemy AI - Dont all the enemies have to take the next ladder they hit? The Hot Dog seems to be able to skip ladders when moving around?

On the AI as I recall the Hot Dogs can skip like every other ladder...this was put in place to Prevent them from going in circles. Mr. Egg can and Mr. Pickle can pretty much go in any direction they want. Since I thought the difficulty was fine with the addition of Mr. Pickle...I will have to see how it plays with the newly added 4th antagonist and see if I can at least clear all the boards through once.

Still no bonus chefs?

I just played this newest version (We have a winner here...!!!)

scored just over 100k but never got any free chefs during the game? Also the bonus items still appear very odd. First board didn't have a single thing come out. The second board had like 3 in a row...the 3rd board had like 2 come out evenly spaced. And it just continuened like this...but randomly. Sometimes a board would have at least one bonus item, sometimes it wouldn't have any. And I even counted once up where I was this 100k level were I could have sworm there were 5 items because I was done to about 6 peppers at the beginning of the level and had 11 when I was done...so yeah..5 bonus items.

When's the cart to be sold coming out?!

hehe...

8)