IGNORED

Any interest in a "High Score Club"?

Ze_ro

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in forming a "High Score Club" of sorts for the 2600? The idea would basically be that each week someone would pick a game (we'd take turns), and then everyone would exchange hints and tips and try to beat each others high score and such. Basically, it's just another excuse to put some time and effort into a game and generate discussion about the game in question.

For any of you who also frequent the Digital Press forums, it would be similar to both the MAME Club and NES Club, except with less focus on review and opinion, and more focus on strategy and friendly competition... and of course, it would be all Atari 2600 games. We could even work out a "point" system of sorts, where whoever gets the highest score gets three points, second highest gets two points, and so on, which accumulates over the weeks.

If you're interested, just reply to this thread saying so, along with any other suggestions you might have. If enough people are interested, then we can start this up. I'd be willing to keep track of all the data, and coordinate things.

--Zero

Yup .. I suggested a similar "game-o'-the-week" idea a while back which was taken on board and hopefully Albert will be able to put a place for it on the webpage. So you can count me in. :)

Yes, game of the week was an excellent idea, the both combined would be awesome

I would definitely be interested. But may I suggest we stick to the more common games to get more participants....keep in mind that a lot of people don't have some of the more rare games....  

Jerry

Most the rare games are crap anyhows, so I dont think its gonna be an issue ! :)

Si

Count me in. :cool: Could we play up to the rarity 5 titles? Some of the very best games on the 2600 are at this rarity and I would think that many people own these games(ex. Snoopy, Cosmic Commuter, Private Eye, Bank Heist, Jawbreaker, Star Wars Arcade, H.E.R.O., et cetera). How would we decide which games to play each week? Would we use a poll to decide? I don't recall if someone already mentioned the selection process. Hope this continues to move forward. Thanks to those who are setting it up. :D

I don't think it should be limited to any rarity.

Part of the reason I wanted to have this sort of thing is to get people playing the under-played, and under-appreciated games.

For instance, how many people are aware that, say, Death Trap, is actually a fun game to play? Because everyone here has an emulator or access to one, I don't see the rarity of the actual cart to be important at all.

Many of us have got large collections which many games that never get played ... I'd like to see the minority games getting covered!

you are just mean. But one thing is for sure, reptone will get PLENTY of Yar's practice in, so when the time comes, he will crush you! :D :D :D :D

I see no reason emus would not be allowed. But we should settle on using only a certain emu, I think. :)

I see no reason emus would not be allowed. But we should settle on using only a certain emu, I think.

I also think that emus should be allowed. Because not one certain emulator will work on every Apple or PC, I think that all should be allowed as long as it is made known if and which emulator was used, if you used savestates, etc. Other things that might be interesting along with the score is if you used the original Atari joystick or something completely different. Since nothing is being awarded, there is no reason to cheat by posting fake screenshots or anything. We're just a bunch of friends playing the same game and sharing scores and tips - good fun.

BTW, this might be a good time to order a Stelladaptor, so that when you don't own the game being played, you will still feel the whole experience. I ordered mine last week. Yay! :-D

I am in! Can we use the Emu to play the games?  

I only have one 2600 game: yars revenge, maybe more on the way but I am not sure

No. Actual hardware only.

z26 2.12 w/stelladaptor shoudl be allowed IMHO.

What is the score verification - dig pic?