IGNORED

Any interest in a "High Score Club"?

Ze_ro

Then Ze_ro could choose 4 games

then these games get voted for! and each week the 4 games are changed!

this way we will see more of obscure games like Tooth Protectors than the

mainstream games like Pac-Man and Space Invaders!

Does that sound better? :)

I say stick to one game for the week. Im ready to go next week. I also like the point system where the winner gets a point. Are we going to wait for a forum or just a new post? Why not start a simple poll with 5 or 10 really common games and pick the winner after a day as the game for next week and go from there?

Less talk, more gaming! Somebody choose the first game already!  ;)  

-S

The first game should be Ms. Pac-Man, Missile Command, or Berzerk.

All right, Id agree to that. Poll for the game? Would that be ok to do?

My vote is for Missle Command.

Those are good choices. I think the first game should be a really common one that everyone who wants to partipate is likely to have. That way we'll have more people who want to get involved with this.

Since we're just going on the honor system I don't see rolling the score as a problem, just add up your final score with whatever the game's highest pre-roll score is. I can't imagine that anyone here is sad enough to cheat on this little contest.

-S

Less talk, more gaming! Somebody choose the first game already!  ;)

I still haven't compiled a list of everyone yet, so I'll probably start a new thread for people to sign up in. When I do, please post there even if you've already posted here so that I can keep track of names. In order to give people enough time to sign up (not everyone comes here every day), that post would have to run for at least a few days before we could start. Starting on Monday would be fairly likely.

I wanted to make sure to take the time to flesh out the rules so that we don't run into problems later. If we just jump right into it without some solid foundations, it might just fall apart.

If this is to take hold then we should prob setup a new forum for it

I don't think that will be necessary... we're only talking about one topic per week devoted to the High Score Club... I think we can coexist with the rest of the 2600 Forum without any trouble. In the DP Forums, the NES and MAME Club posts are made sticky by the moderators so that they appear at the very top of the listings, and then unstickied at the end of the week so that they just fall down like the rest of the posts. This would have to be up to the mods though. Hopefully the topics will be busy enough that they'll stay at the top if the listing anyways ;)

The game should be chosen via a voting system whatever game gets the most votes is the next game!

Again, I think that might complicate things a bit. In order to have a proper vote, you'd have to give it a decent amount of time to get results, which would have to be before the week starts... so not only would we have to run it at the same time as the previous game is being played (which wouldn't be so bad a problem), but we also get the problem that people know about the game ahead of time, and have time to practise up. I'd rather people only have a strict 7 days worth of time with the game to get their score up quickly.

I still prefer my take-turns approach to picking games.

One question though...what happens if someone rolls the score for that week's game? How can one prove that he/she rolled the score?

Again, we'll just have to work on the honor system here. If we doubt that someone did it, we might have to ask what happens when the score is rolled (reset to zero, !!!!!!!, game screws up, etc... although I suppose some of this has already been documented). A more pressing question might be "What happens if two people roll the score?" Some games let you continue afterwards, some games continue, but make it impossible to see your score, and some games just stop... so we might have to just wait until it happens and then decide (Like, both people will just get the same score for that game and we'll move on).

--Zero

I still prefer my take-turns approach to picking games.

So do I. No fuss, no muss. I sayyou get to go first since it was your idea.

(Like, both people will just get the same score for that game and we'll move on).

Again, simple is good. This seems like a reasonable enough plan to me.

-S

I still think the winner for the week posts the game for the next week. Seems easy enough and its a reward for winning. As for rolling the score, well Im not at that level yet. :sad:

A sticky thread would be nice though. I think the poll was to pick the first game we play? I also think we need to make sure the same game isnt picked over and over again. That way the same few don't continue to win over and over again. Im ready to start this thing.. :D

I agree, Ze_ro should pick the first game.