IGNORED

Joystick Question

pmpddytim

Ok, I know this has been asked before but I couldnt find it.

Where is the best place to buy replacment switches for cx40s? I found several places on google but where is the most trustworthy? I have like 6 dead controllers and would like to get'em working so I can sell'em or trade'em.

Tim

Ok, I know this has been asked before but I couldnt find it.

Where is the best place to buy replacment switches for cx40s? I found several places on google but where is the most trustworthy? I have like 6 dead controllers and would like to get'em working so I can sell'em or trade'em.

Tim

If it a direction or a button not working, it is most likely you have a broken wire inside the main wire. It is the most common problem with bad joysticks and the metal domes rarely make a difference. What I suggest is taking the sticks apart and looking at the domes. If they are in good condition and not cracked you most likely have a bad wire.

That is why a lot of people don't buy broken joysticks on ebay because they all need new wires.

That is why a lot of people don't buy broken joysticks on ebay because they all need new wires.

I like your thinking, keeps the price down for me. :D

I would buy them if I had a stockpile of wires (which I wish I did), but whenever I get any wires, I always end up making nes joysticks with them. I have a bunch of the domes too, but only needed to use 2 or three of them so far with bad joysticks.

That reminds me, I need to start saving up good joyticks for the holiday season when they go for 30 bucks a piece. :D

Nah, the domes are shot, trust me. And if wires are such a big deal and you really want a working Atari joystick could you not just replace the cord with one from a second party controller (like the ones I find 4 of every time I go to the thrift) or maybe a genesis controller?. Probably a dumb question.

Tim

Nah, the domes are shot, trust me.

There are tons of them on ebay, but I don't know of the wholesale sourse that guy gets them from.

And if wires are such a big deal and you really want a working Atari joystick could you not just replace the cord  with one from a second party controller (like the ones I find 4 of every time I go to the thrift) or maybe a genesis controller?. Probably a dumb question.

Tim

Most of the third party joysticks have the wires soldered in and the atari sticks use a push on clip, so unless you want to splice all the wires with the original clips from the atari wire, the third party sticks probly won't work too good. (and they don't have the atari symbol on them ;) )

Before jumping to conclusions about what is broken, I suggest going through your broken joysticks and checking each wire and dome function with a multimeter (ohmmeter). I think you will be able to get some of the sticks to function with the parts you have already.

In the meantime keep an eye out for more broken sticks at your local flea/ thrift shops.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA