IGNORED

Wanted: Interesting Auctions

Albert

On 12/17/2022 at 6:45 AM, GoldenWheels said:

Soooooooooo I think that is kinda goofy too and 10k is redonkulous but as someone with a big media collection...screeners/promos and early releases do have collectible interest to SOME (normally big franchise fans) that a standard release never will.

I get the desire for Promo copies, and even screeners (I tend to collect both in the CD/DVD/Blu-ray realm, but they have to be MANUFACTURED differently than the retail versions for me...), but this isn't really either.  It's technically what is called a 'cut-out'.  It's just some of the normal, production run that the studio pulled out and gave away to people.  Not even a guarantee it's an early release, they would do that with a movie like the Matrix when Matrix 2 came out, etc...

All that's 'unique' about it is a sticker that says Promotional placed over the barcode.  ANYONE could print a sticker like that and stick it over the barcode of any product...  It probably was applied by the studio, but I'd really be surprised if anyone cares all that much.

But as someone said, it only takes one fool with a lot of money...

I have a sealed copy of the original Star Wars Trilogy on VHS that I was about to take to Goodwill or something until I saw a couple of copies in 'near mint' condition selling for nearly $1000...  And mine's in better condition as I just put it in storage the day I got it and forgot about it...  Might be time to get that graded and in an auction.  :)

2 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

I get the desire for Promo copies, and even screeners (I tend to collect both in the CD/DVD/Blu-ray realm, but they have to be MANUFACTURED differently than the retail versions for me...), but this isn't really either.  It's technically what is called a 'cut-out'.  It's just some of the normal, production run that the studio pulled out and gave away to people.  Not even a guarantee it's an early release, they would do that with a movie like the Matrix when Matrix 2 came out, etc...

All that's 'unique' about it is a sticker that says Promotional placed over the barcode.  ANYONE could print a sticker like that and stick it over the barcode of any product...  It probably was applied by the studio, but I'd really be surprised if anyone cares all that much.

But as someone said, it only takes one fool with a lot of money...

I have a sealed copy of the original Star Wars Trilogy on VHS that I was about to take to Goodwill or something until I saw a couple of copies in 'near mint' condition selling for nearly $1000...  And mine's in better condition as I just put it in storage the day I got it and forgot about it...  Might be time to get that graded and in an auction.  :)

Shoot you're right...I thought I saw something on the front but there isn't anything. It could even be a DVD that was in some shrinkwrapped weird 2 pack the studio made for walmart et al, in which they have to mark out the original UPCs and the wrap would be stickered. Still, point remains....movie collectors be as crazy as us video game collectors! And that for sure includes the VHS boys...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2004 at 12:43 PM, Albert said:

Periodically we post interesting auctions (both eBay and Bidiots now) to the front page. Sometimes we slack on this, such as the leading up from before PC5 to the present. :) I'm looking for some links to an interesting Atari-related eBay or Bidiots auction that I can highlight on the front page. "Interesting" means it should be a fairly unique or rare item, or maybe a monster auction with 400 unique 2600 games, prototypes, one-of-a-kind items, and so forth. This thread could be used to periodically highlight auctions of this nature, and then I can pick and choose what gets posted on the front page. If you want to suggest one or more of your own auctions, that's fine, as long as they meet the "interesting" criteria. :)

Thanks!

..Al

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204238996218

• 4 weeks later...

Seems legit.......😬

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185779996263

ORIGINAL ARCADE VIDEO GAMES (Flatiron)

can be exchanged for barter. sold by a private medical clinic, so if you have great medical insurance with a zero deductible and are willing to come in for an office visit we can negotiate the price
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 7:51 AM, GoldenWheels said:

Seems legit.......😬

can be exchanged for barter. sold by a private medical clinic, so if you have great medical insurance with a zero deductible and are willing to come in for an office visit we can negotiate the price

Wow!   Good Job @GoldenWheels

That is a Bizarre auction indeed!

I like this part:

CALL [phone removed by eBay] FOR DETAILS

19 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Wow!   Good Job @GoldenWheels

That is a Bizarre auction indeed!

I like this part:

CALL [phone removed by eBay] FOR DETAILS

I mean....if this isn't some sort of insurance scam....! I can't even see how the auction is allowed to remain up. The implication seems pretty clear. If you have zero deductible insurance....come in, let me do an "exam" to make some money off your insurance at no cost to you, and I'll knock the price down on the arcades. Seedy!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:51 AM, GoldenWheels said:

Seems legit.......😬

I cannot believe this is even allowed to be on Ebay,  The seller is basically leaving a digital footprint of the intent of insurance fraud.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...