IGNORED

8K Advent...FIXED

Nukey Shay

This game is still not very challenging yet...but I figured that I'd post up a quickie of things to come.

Additions:

Those of you who had seen the editor thread are probably already aware of the 64 rooms in double-resolution. After exhausting the available ram completely, here's what's new...

4 dragon version:

- Additional dragon

- Additional bat

- 2 additional keys/gates (tho only one currently has a castle assigned to it...you'll find it above the original Easter Egg screen on game 2/3). The second added key looks like glasses...and will open an additional gate.

- The glasses also work as x-ray specs...turning all dark rooms visible.

- Additional signature screen...this is accessed by using an existing game object to open the LEFT panels. Careful not to get stuck!

- More added secret rooms.

- Up to 64 screens using 40x14 bitmaps

- A title bitmap for the game select screen.

- All game graphics can be unique.

- Skeleton bitmaps when player uses the x-ray specs :D

6 dragon version:

- 3 additional dragons.

- Erratic bat behavior added.

- 1 additional key/gate...added key looks like glasses.

- The glasses also work as x-ray specs...turning all dark rooms visible.

- Skeleton bitmaps when player uses the x-ray specs.

- Additional signature screen...accessed by using an existing game object to open the LEFT panels.

- More added secret rooms.

- Up to 128 screens in regular 40x7 bitmap resolution.

- A title bitmap for the game select screen.

- All game graphics can be unique.

- The player can become "cursed", which destroys all castles. :evil:

Edit: click here for the final (abandoned) version.

6dragons.zip

a8k_xray.zip

Edited by Nukey Shay

Its awesome! The red key threw me for a loop. Okay Nukey...I have only been playing this for a few minutes but the green key or is that supposed to be a black/green in color key....wheres the castle for it?? I love the two bats.....Yes people! Both bats chased my ass all around trying to take my one key. The extra castle Rocks.....Does the secret room still exist or are you going to tell me to play on?? :D

There is currently a problem with the bats...in that they can take an item from the other bat and they will both "think" that they have the same thing. I've got to correct that yet. Also, the green gate IS in the game in the regular screens...I'll leave that to you to figure out where ;) But there is no castle made for it yet, and the gate doesn't link rooms properly yet.

The original secret message is still in the game at the same spot, and the dot is as well.

Here's another small update...

All the graphics have been seperated to use unique bitmaps. I didn't change a whole lot, but just "opened the door" so to speak. All the graphic images can be much larger than in the regular game (keys for example can be as large as 30 lines high). To show an example of this, I just flipped the keys around backwards and upside-down. Also, the castle gates have letters on the door (Y for yellow, etc)...and all the dragons have numbers on them.

Still moves too slow yet...

Binary up top

A speed tradeoff...

I updated the added objects on a seperate frame from the rest. This will solve any timing issues, plus make it possible to keep the objects moving at a brisk pace without appearing too choppy. But as a result, the player moves just a bit slower (4 frames out of 5).

To keep the bats seeming unique, I slowed down the second bat a bit.

Also, to correct the problem of bats grabbing the other bat's object, I made them simply ignore the object it the other bat is holding it. This worked like a charm for the first bat, but I ran into a glitch doing it for the 2nd bat for some reason (?). Perhaps I'll have to add the 1st bat itself to the second's "objects liked" matrix...that will keep the bat from getting it's object anyway :lol: (I removed that earlier to keep the game more challenging...but I'll try killing it as well).

I also corrected the problem of the black dragon staying dead on a reset.

I found that the game became too easy when dragons don't bunch up :( So I had to remove the "fear" of other dragons in their matrices.

Tried correcting the 5th gate...but I can't seem to get a handle on that problem either. It opens fine, but won't let you in :(

(Did you find it yet?)

Binary on first post. Give a yell if you notice any screen jumps.

I managed to get in a HUGE secret...but the first test turned out buggy (particularly with the bats). Try not to bump into them when experimenting with this one...and drop an object before they steal it from you. Better yet, lock them up...and try to figure out what's been added :evil:

I'll post up a bugfixed one once I figure out what the problem with these bastards is :P

LOL....this one does get good with both bats. I keep getting eatin alive. I did take a good flying I got eaten tour on United Bat Airlines....LMFAO then the first bat dropped me, then the second bat picked me up and flew me some more. You still have control over what direction to move the bat (somewhat) in. I am going to give this another go around. I see you have managed to include what appears to be glasses?? Don't tell me....I am still after the new secret. I had the dot in my hand but unfortunately the second bat took my sword and I was cornered by the black dragon....back to the drawing board. LMFAO.............I will post again

PS do the numbered dragons and lettered castles mean anything??

I am digging this bigtime. I would say you and Atarius are on to something big like Adventure + Chaos.....Experimental title of course (littl buggy 8) )

Cheers....I will post more

Ok I just did the magic dot.....went above the created by warren robinett and wound up exiting from the Red Castle :thumbsup: The Black Dragon is very skilled without the fear option. I am digging this more and more. What is the deal with the glasses?? I will post more as I learn about that.

The deal with the glasses is that they are really a key (the green key that opens the last gate...have you discovered it yet?). Note that this part of the program is still buggy...the gate opens but it won't let you in :(

Anyway...the reason that this key "looks" like glasses is because in one of my other hacks, I had experimented with using an object that turns dark rooms light...and the way that the invisible surround works is controlled by bit 2 in the room gfx control byte. By turning that off, you can have dark mazes that have NO surround :) So this might be added soon where you won't be able to "see" in some dark rooms unless you are carrying the glasses. By taking advantage of the higher resolution for the screens, I can make a -very- conveluted dark trail that you can only find your way out of by using the specs :twisted:

The dragons & gates just have numbers and letters to show an example of how each one can have different bitmaps...those symbols don't currently mean anything.

NONE of the above has anything to do with the new secret :)

New secret area is mapped out a bit better in this one...but the program is still buggy. Object pickup occasionally even grabs a "ghost" object from the bat :( Still trying to work that out. Also some objects cause the screen to jump :x (usually during object wraparound). I'll get it sorted out.

The red castle is moved...and the new secret area currently doesn't lead anywhere...but I still have 25 rooms I haven't used yet. All the castles are now seperated into seperate bitmaps (so each one can look different)...but currently they all look the same. - and there is still no green castle (just a gate stuck someplace). The inside of the red castle also leads to a 3rd room - a dead-end (a darkened room...I walled it up for now since it'll trap ya if you try to go beyond it). But I corrected the upper & lower lines of the first 2 screens inside it.

Ok, I'm gonna take some flack for this but here goes.

I'm not terribly thrilled with all of the changes. I'm not keen on the numbered dragons (although the black dragon is very cool). The two bats don't seem to make it that much more frustrating, (but in all 3 games I played one was always locked in a castle at the start). The upturned key is ok, but looks a bit out of place.

I do like the added dragon, the castles, and the glasses whatever they do.

I got the "flash" thing going in the lower maze second room down, but could find no other objects there (like you can with the dot in the Black Castle) is there a secret there I'm not finding? Then it appeared as if a bat dropped a dead dragon and picked up something invisible and took off, unless the bats are no longer trading for things. :? :? :? :? :? :?

I did discover a weird bug (?) I left the game running and went to get a snack, and when I came back the whole color palette had changed!!!! The Yellow castle was red as were all yellow objects, and the grey floor went blue, and the blue maze went green, it was weird but cool. I restarted the game, but the palette would not change. Weird.

However, overall I know Nukey does AMAZING work, so I'm sure this will turn out to be something spectacular. I can't wait to see what is next. Like what the glasses are going to do.

Yeah...this one (although mapped a bit better) still has a few bugs...like the bat grabbing that ghost object like you saw. I'm not sure, but I think it might be grabbing the "null" object due to the new title screen bitmap. I might have to eliminate that :(

The flash in the catacombs is intentional...but it has nothing to do with the new secret area :D 10 points to those who can discover what that flash is from (funny...I thought it might be obvious).

The pallette change is a new one I haven't seen...I'll have to do some experimenting to see what caused that :(

In the latest post, I'm having objects just melt into the floor, disappear and then reappear in the clutches of the bat.

I've located in that "flashing" room, a small passageway that ALMOST connects the upper and lower paths, but nothing else. :?

Also, I unlocked the yellow castle, dropped the key inside, and then came back and it was locked again. Could a bat have done that?

Oh, and the object placement hasn't been worked on yet. I kept most things out in the open to make testing a bit easier...but once all the new rooms are set up, I'll be mixing all those around.

The gates, bats, and dragons' bitmaps are just demos...the numbers and such aren't supposed to look cool...just to keep them looking different for now. These will probably change later on. The main thing is to get the game engine working properly ;)

In the latest post, I'm having objects just melt into the floor, disappear and then reappear in the clutches of the bat.

I've located in that "flashing" room, a small passageway that ALMOST connects the upper and lower paths, but nothing else. :?  

Also, I unlocked the yellow castle, dropped the key inside, and then came back and it was locked again.  Could a bat have done that?

From the new binary I just posted in the middle of the thread? Weird, I thought that I had most of those bugs corrected. Right now, I'm just getting the bats grabbing the null object (I think) and the occasional screen glitch. The castle gates locking themselves had been corrected...at least I thought so :?

I also couldn't pick up the bridge in the latest version.  it just wouldn't stick. :)

Yup...that's one of the new bugs that cropped up. It seems to only affect some games. Since it shares it's x/y with the null object, it might be related to that (all due to the new title screen I'm afraid - that might be history unless I can straighten that out).

This game is just too damn good to let go of. I did find a small bug on level one. When you try to pick up the bridge....you can walk into it but there seems but you cant walk with it. Its like you wind up dropping it. No I still haven't found the trick with the green key

More to come :D

10 points to you. That is the green gate that you are seeing. The glasses open it...but I can't seem to get it to send you into it's new room :(

The idea was that I could have the "swiss cheese" dungeons as seen in Indenture...use the glasses to find your way thru, and then open the passageway which would be in a darkened room just like the existing catacombs. Since I wanted to experiment with that, I just temporarily put the green gate in the catacombs to see how well it functioned. Unfortunately, gates in catacombs don't seem to work right :(