IGNORED

8K Advent...FIXED

Nukey Shay

LOL GAMERZ :lolblue: Havent experienced that yet. I will say this...The game or engine of the game seems to vary more with the bats dragons etc with their movements making them more unpredictable. thought I would post a pic just to say thanks Nukey for numbering the dragons with the new glasses xray vision on, atleast I can tell which bastard is after me.

Cheers

post-2800-1081663678_thumb.jpg

post-2800-1081663679_thumb.jpg

post-2800-1081663680_thumb.jpg

Did you take the bats out?
Nope.

I just played game 3 of your most recent binary( been downloading each of them as you posted them ) the bats were nowhere to be found! And the dragons kept ganging up on me since the sword was also nowhere to be found!
Yeah, adding objects means that the game must go through the randomize routine more times...most likely throwing the seed value out of whack. The important thing is trying to get rid of the screen tremor...in the one I'm currently editing, I've got it to the point where it only happens with the 2nd bat (but it's still too much). Once that's out of the way, I can start working on the random routine. But the game is finishable on #1 and #2...just game #3 is still buggy.

Anyway, I used the spectacles( awesome feature, still trying to figure out how you implemented the x-ray effect ) to retrieve the dot, then later, in the secret areas, I used the bridge to get to the screen that Atari Troll posted, and used the spectacles to try and find a way thru the vertical walls to get to the missles on either side, but I couldn't align the bridge to accomplish this.

I'm guessing you haven't built any connecting rooms to that room yet?

Yup, there are...but just very difficult to get to that way. More easily reached from the other side by using one of the left panels ;) But that room is empty anyway...I just kept it in for the quirk of being able to get in the red castle without using a key.

BTW the code changes for the specs are:

;(in the SetupRoomPrint routine)
;Use Color
;added------------

LDA    CarriedObj       ;Check object carried

CMP    #GKeyNum         ;If the object is not the...

BNE    NoSpec1          ;...specs, then branch

LDA    #$00             ;load black color

STA    COLUPF           ;Put in Playfield color

LDA    #$0C             ;load White color

BNE    NoSpec1A         ;branch

NoSpec1:
;--------------------

LDY    #$02

LDA    (CurrentObject),Y;Get room color

JSR    ChangeColor      ;Change if necessary

STA    COLUPF           ;Put in Playfield color
;Color Background

UseColor:

LDA    #$08             ;Get light grey bg

JSR    ChangeColor      ;Change if necessary

;added-------------

NoSpec1A:
;--------------------

STA    COLUBK           ;Put it in the Bg color
;Playfield Control.

Similar additions were done in the object1 & 2 routines below it (so that everything is colored black instead of it's normal color)...and I also had to disable the surround...

Surround:
;added---------

LDA    CarriedObj       ;Check object carried...

CMP    #GKeyNum         ;If the object is the...

BEQ    NoSpec2          ;...specs, then branch
;----------------

(NoSpec2 is just above Surround_2 - where it signals that it's not wanted)

What I would have liked is enough time to change to a different bitmap as well...so that the dragons and bats are just bones. But I dunno if that can be pulled off in the available time (not that the 2600 has sprites detailed enough anyway :lol: )

Holy shit! I just figured out how to change them! During the color change, I have a number of cycles left (because the program is no longer JSR'ing to the color adjustment routine). So in that time, I can check to see if the object is a dragon or a bat, and adjust it's low GFX pointer accordingly! :idea: There's already plenty of free space below each bitmap to do a second "skelatal" version of each. Long way to go for just a little effect...but it's more detail ;)

Skelatal dragon:

.byte $02                 ;      X

.byte $0F                 ;    XXXX

.byte $B2                 ;X XX  X 

.byte $5E                 ; X XXXX

.byte $0C                 ;    XX 

.byte $04                 ;     X 

.byte $04                 ;     X

.byte $0C                 ;    XX 

.byte $06                 ;     XX 

.byte $3E                 ;  XXXXX 

.byte $7E                 ; XXXXXX 

.byte $7E                 ; XXXXXX 

.byte $18                 ;   XX 

.byte $08                 ;    X

.byte $86                 ;X    XX 

.byte $61                 ; XX    X

.byte $1E                 ;   XXXX 

.byte $00

.byte $00

.byte $00

.byte $00

Because of "finishing things"...I was never much good at that :lol:

Running into a LOT of wasted code in the original program...possibly enough to have 6 dragons and an extra castle (or 7 dragons and no extra castle) in the original 4k game + a plethora of new rooms. Too bad the game has an upper limit of 64 :(

Damn! I think I just discovered what I'd been doing wrong before when updating the room number! What do you guys think? Should I abandon the extra bat and go for 1 bat/3 castles/7 dragons instead? Or 1 bat/4 castles/6 dragons? I should be able to have up to 128 rooms.

As quoted earlier (F***ing true) Nukey you are a mother F***in' GENIUS. GENIUS I tell you. I F***ing love the skeletal dragons. Two bats makes game play longer & 4 dragons keeps ya moving.....awesome! I think if anything add more rooms. But if you have to ax anything for more rooms, objects, castles, or dragons then go for the second bat. Although some of us would like to see the second bat graphically as a ghost (or would you change the original bat himself into a ghost?)

Holy S**t -128 rooms Thats a lot to work with. Gotta run and Happy Easter All! I will be cleaning chocolate bunny off my daughters face soon!

Cheers

@Nukey :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The thing is that the second bat eats up way too much processor time. 2 extra dragons can be done in a frame - that's no problem...but trying to work in a bat and a dragon in that space...that's where I run into problems. And if I drop a frame then the game gets even slower :(

I might be forced to drop the 2nd bat if I can't fix that glitch. And dropping the screen resolution back down to 7 rows provides the space needed for 128 rooms...I haven't figured out a use for it anyway (since it's desirable to have at least -part- of the original in the hack). Might even be possible to do it in 4k if I keep finding dead weight in the program...I must be way past 500 bytes by now (including the optimized code).

I vote for 1 ghost ( :D )/4 castles/6 dragons. That is a nice balance. Too dragon heavy and the WHOLE game is just slay the dragons. With the fourth castle there is more to explore and that is what Adventure is all about.

I am totally loving this. :) :) :)

Shoo dawg, why are you NOT homebrewing?  You have so totally got what it takes.  This stuff is AMAZING.

Yup, I told him exactly the same when he was working on hacking _____ into ___-___. And I am still convinced he is wasting his talents.

BTW: Shoo dawg? :?

The problem with creating a game is that I lack direction (lack it enough to not even motivate me into learning what a WSYNC and VSYNC actually do :lol: ). Working with existing programs gives me the edge I need to try to find ways of improving their gameplay (i.e. find free space, spend it, repeat).

If you get rid of the bat, how about a different type of enemy instead of a dragon. :D
They can all be different as far as looks go already...each dragon has six bitmaps assigned to them EACH (normal, biting, and dead...plus the skeletal versions), and the bats each have 4 (wings up & down and skeleton versions). I had a bit of space left over, so I used it on the chalise. In fact, if you look at the first 4k, it's almost entirely made up of bitmaps. To make them act differently is where I run into problems with timing (as seen with the 2nd bat). Not much else has been altered, because I'd been focusing on fixing that screen tremor...but without a 2nd bat, it won't be there unless I start doing a lot of additional routines to handle each dragon seperately. So looking different is no problem at all.

I had 19 free bytes of ram (the 2 additional keys used 6, the 2 gates used 2, the dragon used 5, and the bat used 7). This could be divided up differently...1 key using 3, 1 gate using 1, and 3 dragons using 5 each.

I'm gonna start working on that route. The second bat is just too iffy to work with.

It's "Hack-o-matic friendly" if anyone wants to give it a whirl. I'm no artist ;) Everything is neatly layed out...just make sure that each bitmap begins where the original did (there's even some zeros left over on most of the bitmaps to make them larger if you want...just make sure that every bitmap ends with at least 1 zero and that the starting locations are not changed).

Yup, I told him exactly the same when he was working on hacking _____ into ___-___. And I am still convinced he is wasting his talents.

No way, if anything he's the one guy who's having fun USING them. Hell yeah, hack away in that cool style. Everyone else who has the ability and 'pshaws' them... forget it. You do what you want to do! :D But I don't buy into this whole wasting your time not "making your own thing" vs. having fun messing around with our favorite games thing. It's all good. And I'd be doing exactly what he was doing if I had the time and knowledge. :D

BTW: Shoo dawg? :?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Its a "street" thing, Thomas, urbonics and all that. Don't sweat it, just mix it into your regular conversation like you know what it means and it'll be all good. ;) :)

Nukey is mega talented, and I don't buy that "lack direction" bit. He has PLENTY of direction when it comes to doing this kind of stuff. But hey, as long as we get to benefit from him playing with hacks, I say PARTY ON, right Thomas? ;) :)

Bah...I don't buy that "mega-talented" part. Programming came to me when I was just tinkering with commercial stuff back in the day (very much like Hack-o-matic...using sector editors and such). Changing a graphic image here, some text there. After seeing the same types of instructions being used in certian ways, I began to see how they functioned. Remember when you said baby steps? That's exactly what M/L is...tasks broken down into the smallest steps that you can. Working with the 8-bit computers, the cycle times used by those instructions was of little consequence...since the hardware would usually take over. Not so on the 2600, and I've had to re-learn everything again...and I still have no clue how to design a display kernal. Not that I couldn't if I tried, but because I'm just a lazy game player that likes taking the quick route to getting what I want ;) Hacking existing games has a major advantage over designing something from scratch...and that is that it already is a working program - most of the bugtesting has already been done. Change a little here, and a little there, and it can become something else...always in very small steps to see what those changes do. So rather than spending months trying to get what I'm after, it can sometimes be accomplished in weeks...or days if I'm really determined. Of couse there is always the risk of running up against a program that refuses any types of alterations and I'm forced to give up on it...or that ideas don't pan out to be the enjoyable game that I imagined it might become...but there's no risk involved. I hadn't wasted months developing something that ends up being a waste of time ;)

So in many ways, I can't take credit for some things that are accomplished, simply because it was only the program starting out to be well-layed out that made it easier for me to pick it apart :twisted: But I have fun trying different things with them regardless...making something from scratch always seemed to increase it's odds of being shelved as an un-fun or unworkable idea...and that's a lot of wasted time and asprin.

We've all seen games that make you say, "You know, this would be a much better game IF...", and that's what I like doing, solving those "IF's". A well-written program usually leads me right to the parts in question...where I can chip and tinker away...always having a running program to test the idea. That's a very big advantage to doing something starting with nothing.

And heck, I'm really not that imaginative when it comes to original ideas! :lol: Some things are just stumbled upon by accident, and some things were tried as something else...and the side-effect was found to be interesting.

So it's a little bit of patience and a lot of luck...I'll admit. And it's fun (the A #1 rule...if it's not fun to test, it's not fun to play).

AHHHHHHHHHH F***********************K! :lolblue: I had both bats locked up with the black and yellow dragons. I was truely ready to go. I just finished getting into the secret room (took my first screen shot with the xray vision) and out of nowhere my daughter hits the "option" button. In short my game was reset. :twisted: ....Oh well I gave her a big kiss and read her a story. This game is just too damn good! Nukey please whatever you do, finish it..For the love of God. Anyway If my reading serves me correctly, once I am in this room I need a useless object to proceed any further?? Excited Advent gamers need to know! :D

Bring the changes on!

Cheers

post-2800-1081739773_thumb.jpg

This is a great hack!

I was wondering is it possible to add background music? It would probably slow down the game too much but I thought I would ask. Somthing spooky would be great.....it would add a whole new element of atmosphere to the game.

This is a minor thing though. I dont think the game NEEDS it I just think it would be cool.

Keep on hacking, and please release it on cart when your done.

Advent = :love:

-Tim