IGNORED

8K Advent...FIXED

Nukey Shay

Yes, that's also no problem. But the primary reason still stands (i.e. I suck at sound).

BTW in the last updated binary, I had removed the bat's erratic behavior when testing it...and I forgot to put it back. I'll post up a new one once I figure out where a NEW screen tremor is coming from :x

0 bytes left

OK...I think I've got it straightened out. I haven't seen a jitter yet. Give a yell if you do. The up/down shifting still happens with some objects (like the messages), but it doesn't appear to cause any problems.

The chalise has been moved to behind the panel where it was :evil: That means that you must take 3 objects thru the invisible maze to get to it. Oh, and the red dragon is guarding it in there too. To make the dot a bit more difficult to get, I put the orange dragon in the black castle guarding it...black and purple are still on the hunt for you. Green and yellow in their original positions.

The erratic bat is back in. You can zero out location $1BE7 with HOM if you don't like this behavior (but I think that it makes the game more challenging).

No major problems with the castles being destroyed...just watch out what you store in them (this was kind of a "fix" to keep you from putting all objects in the yellow castle and making the game too easy).

57 game screens left to make (67 used) :)

The bat got stuck. I was playing game 3, and in the blue maze screen where you have the large open area at the bottom, he got stuck in the upper left hand corner. He was carrying the bridge in an up-and-left direction, there was a dead dragon in his way and he got stuck in between the dead dragon and the edge of the screen. He could not get free until I left the screen and re-entered from the opposite side, somehow picking him up. After doing this, he flew away from me.

WOW. I finally accessed the secret areas and encountered the demolished castles. That stuff is amazing! But what did I do to make that happen?

More importantly, is the stuff in the ruined castles just gone forever or can you get back to it? Because I left the chalice in the black castle before it was destroyed and my mom is gonna be pissed if I don't get it home in time for dinner.

Also had a little bridge weirdness. I did that "trick" where you let go of it while it is off screen and it reappeared on the White Castle screen, but when I tried to pick it back up, it would not let me, until the bat came along and took it, which then led to the craziness above about him getting stuck.

The secret areas are GREAT Nukey, is there anyway to make the game a bit more chronological, so that you can only get the Chalice from a ruined castle, but you have to do something simple, like slay a certain dragon to cause the castles to cave in?

Oh, and lets do something about those Dragon sprites, the x-ray view is too cool to have that dorky duck skin on the outside. Makes me want to keep the specs on. :)

I'm really lovin' this Nukey. Loving it. :)

The bat got stuck.  I was playing game 3, and in the blue maze screen where you have the large open area at the bottom, he got stuck in the upper left hand corner.  He was carrying the bridge in an up-and-left direction, there was a dead dragon in his way and he got stuck in between the dead dragon and the edge of the screen.  He could not get free until I left the screen and re-entered from the opposite side, somehow picking him up.  After doing this, he flew away from me.
Yeah, adding this "unpredictability" was the only way to solve the problem of the bat being locked in to any one flight direction-you can never be sure where it goes even if you stick it in a castle. Unfortunately, this has a tendancy to get him to stop moving completely when it's trying to reach objects that have been wrapped around (I may just remove that ability when the bat is dropping objects to clear up that bug). You can still get rid of this unpredictability by editing that memory location with HOM...but I think that it makes the game too easy if you always know what the bat is gonna do.

WOW.  I finally accessed the secret areas and encountered the demolished castles.  That stuff is amazing!  But what did I do to make that happen?
Don't fool with mother nature ;) Seriously, I needed an absolute sure way of providing a way into certian areas when the bridge is locked away...i.e. the bridge might appear in the black castle in game 3, but the key to that castle might appear in an area inaccessable WITHOUT the bridge - catch 22. Once new screens are added, it will link all of these areas so that you can get to an object (hopefully) 100% of the time...without having to resort to the cheaper way of lowering it's room boundries in the random routine. So just like you can lock a key inside it's own castle in the original game, so too can you make the castle impossible to get back inside in the hack.

More importantly, is the stuff in the ruined castles just gone forever or can you get back to it?  Because I left the chalice in the black castle before it was destroyed and my mom is gonna be pissed if I don't get it home in time for dinner.
See the above. You can do certian things that will get the castle impossible to "resurrect", but you can also avoid the problem by avoiding "the curse". How? That's up to you to figure out ;)

Also had a little bridge weirdness.  I did that "trick" where you let go of it while it is off screen and it reappeared on the White Castle screen, but when I tried to pick it back up, it would not let me, until the bat came along and took it, which then led to the craziness above about him getting stuck.
You mean that you could move onto it and the game wouldn't pick it up?? Weird...I'll have to look into that.

The secret areas are GREAT Nukey, is there anyway to make the game a bit more chronological, so that you can only get the Chalice from a ruined castle, but you have to do something simple, like slay a certain dragon to cause the castles to cave in?
Yeah, I need to make the screens a bit more consistant. With so many more of them, it is a bit harder to make an actual "plot" for the game. But be assured...you are guaranteed that the castle WILL NOT demolish itself until you open it up to explore.

Oh, and lets do something about those Dragon sprites, the x-ray view is too cool to have that dorky duck skin on the outside.  Makes me want to keep the specs on. :)
I've been avoiding that for an important reason...that the game is still being worked out. I might just discover something really cool to put into the game, but only at a cost of having all the dragons look the same. So I've been putting off editing the sprites until all the additions have been done. Same goes for the original game map...which I might not end up using if more screens are needed to flesh out the "story".

Im back in the game Nukey & Stan....sorry been planting trees. Giving my body a rest, and now I am getting back to feeding the mind with both versions. Just downloaded new roms so I will post more. I have some serious hard core playing and catching up to do with these! :D

Ok, just played game 3 and the only two items available were the magnet and the white key. The bat appeared but never showed up with anything other than the green and yellow dragon. I waited 5 minutes, but no other items ever showed. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

UPDATE

Just played another game, same problem but this time ONLY the magnet and 4 dragons. :sad:

Yeah...game 3 is still unpredictable as far as if any screen is going to be accessable. The game still hasn't been altered in the way of randomizing...i.e. there is still the original number of variations (I think it's 18) since the room boundries for each object has not been altered yet. But most of them appear to be winnable - for example, I just played two in a row that had all of the keys out in the open, and then one immediately after that that had two keys out in the open. This randomizing has also taken a back seat while I've still got rooms left to add in.

Have you beaten game 2?

Because game 2 is still kind of a challenge with that erratic bat and castles you can't use to store things ;) At least until game 3 is fully bugtested.

I found out that the shake is most likely coming from the bankswitch instruction...which means it might be outta my league to fix :(

Anyone have a CC? Does this roll the screen? Or just shimmy it? If it's the latter, I could live with it (kinda like the ground shaking as a castle gate opens).

Another bunch of rooms added. I corrected some of the faulty links that would send you into the white and black castles...and made them into "warp zones". 2 double-panel rooms link to the INSIDE of the castles...just in case a key gets stuck or you can't find a way out of the "debris" screen, there's still a way in :)

I also expanded the white castle's maze a bit.

45 rooms still unused.

Ok couple of issues, now that I am playing Game 2 :P

If the yellow castle collapses, is the game even winnable?

Is the curse the stupid magnet? Methinks it is.

I hate getting stuck inside the white castle. If you use the bridge to enter the white castle from the screen two screens below the castle screen you become effectively stuck inside the white castle with no way out. Is there something I am missing or was this done to piss me off intentionally. :D :D :D

And yet I play on..... :)

If the yellow castle collapses, is the game even winnable?

Yes. You just have to resurrect it. Plus now that I've added in the warp zones, that insures that you can get inside any castle ;)

Is the curse the stupid magnet?  Methinks it is.
Nope. Just experiment for a while and it will be revealed. Anyone who is stumped can PM me if they want, but it's really quite simple (there are a number of hints above already).

I hate getting stuck inside the white castle.  If you use the bridge to enter the white castle from the screen two screens below the castle screen you become effectively stuck inside the white castle with no way out.  Is there something I am missing or was this done to piss me off intentionally.
That was an unfinished part of the game (it still is kinda). Getting trapped that way has been removed...although it's still possible to get trapped by using the warp zones (once you figure out where those are, you can just avoid them easily).

It's still quite possible to get in situations where winning the game is next to impossible in game 3 (i.e. if essential objects appear in areas that are inaccessable without them). I've still got screens to add in to correct that...but I suppose the bat or magnet might still be able to reach things that you cannot. Once the editing is over, you'll be able to safely skirt around any no-win situations rather than be forced to go into them. Kinda sucks, but the reset key is still the only way out of a locked castle.

I am yet to see a castle be resurrected. I'm not sure if I like the idea that a castle can be permanently destroyed, thus making the game unwinnable. :sad:

I've searched and searched, but I have NO IDEA how to access your "warp points." Guess I'll keep searching. :)

Nono...no castle can be permenantly destroyed :) It's really just 4 seperate screens. If certian conditions happen, the game sends you to those instead of the castle screen. By learning what those conditions are, you can avoid the castles being destroyed at all...as well as resurrect any castle you choose when you choose.

And the warp zones are just panel screens. Try opening up various panels to see where the screens lead. Like the secret message, moving thru one by using the dot will send you to a different screen than what the internal "map" indicates you should go to (same with the other object that opens up the left panels - have you discovered it yet?). To make ABSOLUTELY sure that you can get back to the screen where the panel was, it's important that if you carry the dot thru a panel, that you carry it "behind" you (so that you enter the new screen before it does). So if you want to carry those two objects around thru panels, carry the dot on your left side, the other object on your right.

Ok, wow. Finally found the red castle, although I wish it didn't require getting the dot to do so. :sad: (I do nothing but complain :P ) Very cool.

So touching the bat enables the curse. Fine, but I tried everything I could think of to get the castles back to normal, and no dice. And I really needed the bridge. So generally, the note to all is, never leave ANYTHING in a castle, EVER.

I wonder if you can lock a bat in the castle, since that seems to be the trigger for its demolition???

Nukey, your "invisible" maze in the ruined Black Castle makes me want to kill you. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :D

So generally, the note to all is, never leave ANYTHING in a castle, EVER.
Haha...that was the intent all along. When objects are safely locked away to where the bat can't get at them, it makes the game pretty easy. So there's the variable I needed to attach a penalty for doing so. I'm also trying to get around the problem of a bat being in a castle at all...so it can't be locked up, and will recognise the closed gate and will allow it to escape into the game. That part's not in yet, so you could lock it up and take the key with you...and it will be stuck in that castle for the rest of the game. I was also thinking about making the bat impossible to pick up...but that kinda messes with the "fun" factor :(

I wonder if you can lock a bat in the castle, since that seems to be the trigger for its demolition???
Since you spilled the beans, ;) it won't make any difference at all. Once you touch the bat once, the damage is done (and you are "cursed" - EVEN if you reset back to the yellow castle). So you could just avoid all contact with the bat if you want. Tho the castles are still possible to get in, so locking up the bat really makes no difference.

Hint on resurrection: how do you unlock a castle?

Nukey, your "invisible" maze in the ruined Black Castle makes me want to kill you. :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :D
Yup...it's really tough to navigate when you can't even see yourself! Best option is to use the xray specs so you can see how it's layed out (just reversed catacombs, really)...and always carry something with you so you can follow it's movements. After playing thru a few times, you won't even need to carry anything (though you'll still need the bridge to get to the top exits...only the lower exit can be taken without it).

I hate those mazes in the black Nukey! :P jk One thing that I find funny, If you lure a dragon and try to tease them into a castle (trying to lock them in), right as the door is closing, the door reopens right after locking it with the key. Thats on any level you use with both games. I find that to be a cool feature. When I play the original adventure, this doesn't happen (almost hard to accomplish). I definately challenges and causes the player to re-think strategy. I found myself being eaten when I though I had locked a dragon in. Definately plus! :D

Your right. The doors move much faster in the original. My bad. I kind of quit using that as a strategy. It seemed eveytime I would just grab the key and touch the gate the black dragon was right there in my face and me in his belly after that! :lolblue: I think its funny to take flying bat tour of all the screens after being eaten! :lol: :thumbsup: I will let you know if I see any shaky screens. So far I haven't. :)

I guess I'm just a ninny. the combination of needing the glasses and the bridge at the same time to get through the invisi-maze in the ruined Black Castel, coupled with the bat CONSTANTLY coming along and stealing one or both of them is just too frustrating for me to play for very long. If the glasses are gone or not nearby, I simply cannot navigate the maze at all. I just sat there trying on the same screen for 10 mins and just gave up.

Also, since you HAVE to have the dot to get back in the ruined castles, if you don't get it out of the Black Castle before you get cursed by the bat (intentionally or not), you are just screwed and should start over. I get why you demolished the castles Nukey, but I think they could be a LITTLE easier to get into, rather than needing the dot, three other items and whatever else is needed to access the left barriers and be able to take those items with you all across the map (part of what lost my interest about Indenture).

Also, I've played Game 2 like 30 times and have NEVER found the chalice.

I guess this new Adventure is just too hard for me. :sad:

Its still pretty damn cool, though. Rock on Nukey, I'll just stick to game 1. :)

It's supposed to be harder :) I just updated it again...in addition to adding some more screens, it changes the room boundries of the objects to better insure that you can get access to all of them in game 3.

Spoilers:

About the panels - apart from crossing over to get to the chalise in game 2, you don't ever really need to do it at all (which makes it different from Indenture in that most of the added screens don't ever really need to be seen - just there for the explorers). The red castle is currently above the secret message room because that is where it was originally in the first hack of the game when I only had room for just a few additional rooms - this will change eventually.

Note: if you see a panel in a room, that room has 5 destinations (if you see 2 panels in a room, the room has 6 destinations) --- the regular NESW movements plus moving past the panel with the dot or MAGNET present in the room (the magnet opens left panels).

The new signature screen is just below the white castle. Use the magnet with 2 objects to get past the edge. This area was originally going to be used for the green castle...which is why there are black catacombs screens far below. There's also a couple unfinished panels in there...so watch out that you don't end up in "hyperspace" if you decide to explore the area.

And the invisible maze is really not that tough after a few times...it's really just moving North thru the entire thing and using the bridge to cross the small looped areas. By carrying any object with you, you can pretty easily keep track of your movements. If you are carrying the glasses, you can easily see the walls and how the rooms connect.

The thing about the destroyed castles is that they will change back if their key is brought there...so be sure NOT to bring the key into the castle with you (it doesn't "see" any object held by the bat tho...you must carry the key there yourself). Or at the very least, make sure that the key is the first thing you take out of the castle after exploring it.

Also, locked castles won't change at all - the gate needs to be kept wide open for the ruins to appear...so lock up on your way out.

If you forgot any of the above, don't worry...you can still get to the key that is inside a locked castle by using the warp zones. These are 2 double-panelled rooms. The first is just above the yellow maze. The left and right corridors will take you to inside the white and red castles...the second is located above the ruined white castle, and takes you to the inside of the yellow and black castles. When inside, pick up the forgotten key and carry it BELOW your man. Then drop it in the doorway. You'll still be stuck there, but the key will now be on the outside of the castle (so reset and go get it). The ruins WILL NOT appear if the key is on the castle screen. So you could take a black key to the black castle, use it to unlock the gate, and then just drop it on that screen. If the bat doesn't grab it, the castle will remain unchanged (if the bat does, you'll just have to track it down and bring the key back there).

The red castle also has an additional way inside it. Use the magnet with 2 objects below the white castle to get past the edge. If you pick up the bridge and proceed to the left side of this new signature, the next room takes you to the lower panel room INSIDE the red castle. You can use the bridge trick on the upper wall to get inside the castle.

The location of the chalise in game 2 is behind the panels just to the left or right of the upper invisible maze (where you see the surround stuck up top). You'll need at least the bridge and either the dot or magnet to open the corresponding panel to get it. If you can't find them, just let the bat fly around for a while, and IT will.

If you use the dot to cross into the right panel, you can just pick up the chalise (it's on the lower-left side of a room that's blocked in the center). If you used the magnet in the left room (easier, since you can at least see the magnet when you are carrying it around in the maze), you must bring the magnet with you when you cross the right panel...carry it on your right side! It will attract the grail for you. Then bring the magnet back into the panel room...making sure that it crosses into the room first. Duck back in and grab the chalise. The red dragon is in there too...so you might want to use the sword, magnet, and bridge as the 3 objects to get past the panel (tho sometimes the panel will open up with just 2 objects).

In those panel rooms, all the objects that you used can be transferred to regular map screens very quickly. Just force them thru the upper or lower walls, and they will be teleported back to the catacombs or the room below the white castle. To get to the catacombs yourself, center yourself on the screen and move into the invisible maze. After moving for just a few moments (the wall in the center will stop you), move directly UP.

It's not necessary to "ruin" the castles in order to get above them. Some of the corridors in the regular maps will take you ABOVE the castles by using the bridge. Center it against the lower wall, carefully move downward along the bridge's side, and pick it up just after your man is below the wall edge. When you move downward again, you'll appear above the castle (then you can go North and continue through the added screens).

I spaced them apart, so just copy/paste a paragraph to reveal them individually :)

Game 2: (full walkthrough...the slow way)

Grab the bat immediately on the yellow castle screen when it grabs the sword (kinda tricky, but it can be done). I can't guarantee the locations of dragons and objects otherwise. Anyway...carry it down and then to the right. The green dragon will appear. Manuver the bat's sword onto the dragon to kill it. Take the bat (holding the sword) down to the catacombs...following the path from the lower right that leads to the white castle. When you get to the 3rd catacombs screen, the purple dragon will appear. Wait for just a moment (or it will escape), then move to the screen below the white castle. You can now manuver the bat to the dragon to kill it with the sword. Directly below this room, the black dragon will appear. Do the same thing...killing it. Take the bat (have it trade objects for the purple dragon) up to the blue maze. I changed the upper link, so you'll have to take the path on the right side. Weave upward, and then proceed to the left and have the bat pick up the white key in that blue maze room with the large open area. Carry the bat (now holding the white key) down into the catacombs again. Use the key on the white castle's gate and step inside. Wait in the first room, and the yellow dragon will appear. Quickly, drop the bat, and pick up the white key to take it outside. MAKE SURE you leave it on the castle screen - or you won't be able to get back in when it changes to rubble! When you step back inside, the bat will be flying around with the yellow dragon for a few moments...until it picks up the black key. Get the yellow dragon to follow you outside...right onto the sword that is on the screen below the white castle. Move the sword to the next room (catacombs), run back inside the white castle, and grab the bat (if you aren't too late). It's holding the black key you need, so go down out of the castle, down two screens, and allow it to pick up the black dragon lying dead there. If you missed the timing, leave the sword on the white castle screen with the white key (just in case the bat shows up, it won't remove the key) - then roam around until you catch the bat again. Anyway...move it onto the black dragon from the bottom...so that when you release the bat, it will be flying upward. Don't worry about the magnet...the bat hates it. Immediately, take it back into the white castle, drop it, and dash outside to lock the gate. You now have 4 dragons dead and the bat locked up.

Grab the yellow key in the catacombs, open the yellow castle, and drop the key on the screen BELOW the yellow castle. This will reveal the ruined castle (now that the bat has been touched and the gate is open). Go up, follow the yellow maze (to the right), weave thru the screens and grab the glasses at the top. This step is totally unnecessary if you can already navigate the invisible maze.

Grab the bridge, black key, and magnet up to the blue maze room directly below the black castle. If you want to get the dot, it's inside with the orange dragon (but it's really not needed). Otherwise, just open the castle gate and carry the key back down (so the ruins will appear).

Unless you need the glasses to get your bearings in the invisible maze, just take the bridge up first. Carry it so that your man is between it's sides, and so it's completely above you. Step into the maze. On the first screen, move to the left partway, then up to the center of the screen, then back over to the right (so that you bump into the center wall). Move up to the next screen.

On that next screen, move up partway, then to the right slightly, then up the rest of the way. Just kinda "feel" your way along the center wall.

On the last screen, you won't be able to go up any farther (the looped wall prevents you). So just drop the bridge, and go back down through the 3 screens to get the next object. If you don't feel like feeling your way all the way back down, you can just step forward to go thru the bridge...then finish going up to leave the screen (you will be back in the catacombs). The red dragon is up guarding the chalise, so you can grab the sword down here if you wish.

Anyway...go back to the screen below the black castle, and take the sword up through the maze...just like you did with the bridge. when you see the bridge, drop the sword and go get the magnet (you need at least one object on the screen with the bridge...so that the magnet will not "attract" the bridge as you try to use it). Grab the magnet last, take it thru the bridge, and drop it on the screen to the left - a panel room. Grab the sword and bridge and bring them there too (if you want, just let the magnet "attract" them from the invisible screen and take them into the panel room before the magnet).

In the panel room, grab the magnet from it's left side, and move thru the panel. Instantly, the red dragon will chase after you. Allow the magnet to attract the chalise so that you can reach it...while evading the dragon's bites. While still holding the magnet, move to the right back into the panel room, grab the sword, and use it to kill the dragon. Then just skip away with the chalise. Alternately, you could just bring the sword in there first to kill the dragon, and then go back out to get the magnet to attract the chalise.

Back in the panel room, grab each object and shove it through the lower wall. You might want to save one if you have trouble navigating the invisible maze. That done, center your man vertically, and move to the right back into the invisible maze. Move to the right for a moment (to hit the center wall), then move upward to get yourself back in the catacombs. The objects you shoved through the lower wall will be there too. Take the chalise up to the screen below the yellow castle, trade it for the yellow key, put the yellow key on the castle screen (not IN it!!), and heck, you can figure out the rest.

What to do if the bat escapes:

Place an unneeded object (like the white key) inside the yellow castle. Get the bat to pick up a dead dragon. Take it inside the yellow castle, position yourself and the bat below the object, and set it free. It will fly upward. Run outside, grab the yellow key, and lock the door. Just open it later when you want to finish the game. Bring the sword on that screen too as you open the gate...so that if the bat flys out, it will grab the sword and not the yellow key. Then just drop the yellow key on the castle screen, grab the chalise, and finish it up.

• 4 weeks later...