IGNORED

Planet Raid beta testers wanted

Retrofan

Hi,

I need some beta testers for a RR hack with modified levels. Please give me response about the difficulty of the levels (but I can't modify specific level details, only some random values)

PlanetRaid_CartLabel.jpg

Planet Raid 0.9 (a RR hack)

Now it is a space shooter

Complete new levels

Complete new object design

New colors

New sounds

New standard shot behaviour (change with difficulty switches)

New fonts and other graphics

planetraid_09.zip

Hi,

I need some beta testers for a RR hack with modified levels. Please give me response about the difficulty of the levels (but I can't modify specific level details, only some random values)

Now it is a space shooter

Complete new levels

Complete new object design

New colors

New sounds

New standard shot behaviour (change with difficulty switches)

New fonts and other graphics

Are you looking for testers through emulation or on real machines? There is a definite difference between the two.

Seems to play the same as RR as far as skill-wise. I was up over 14,000 before I had to tend to a phone call. Looks pretty cool too! It would look cool if you changed the airplane which flies across the screen to a rocket or something. Over all nice hack! :thumbsup:

First testing on emulators is ok, because the level design wouldn't differ. I want to be safe that the game play is ok before I will make a cartridge. But when someone have the possibility to test it with real hardware it would be fine (because of colors etc.)

Thanks

It plays great thru a supercharger on the actual hardware.

The only gripe I have about the gameplay is there are a few "fuel" tanks that are close to the wall and then there is one of the spikes on the wall that you put in there right behind the fuel tank so you can't get it.

Other than that it is a great hack, complete with great sound and graphics :thumbsup:

The only gripe I have about the gameplay is there are a few "fuel" tanks that are close to the wall and then there is one of the spikes on the wall that you put in there right behind the fuel tank so you can't get it.

First it was a bug but then it was an evil feature :twisted: ;)

First it was a bug but then it was an evil feature :twisted: ;)

It isn't that bad anyway since there are usually fuel tanks right near the "bad" ones.

I like it better than river raid so far. ;)

One of the enemies (the little orange one) has the shape of the original defender ship (I like it very much) but with more colors and some fire at the back. I think that's enough defender style, isn't it? ;) But I made modifications to the plane (v0.9b), it's not a rocket but another space ship:

Planetraid09b.gif

(There are no fuel tanks, only flying battery charging stations :D )

Can you bump up the difficulty a little?

While I can't offer any specific help on this, I took a quick look at Thomas J's dissassembly of River Raid, and noticed a few items related to the difficulty of the game. With a little help from Nukey Shay or Thomas himself, or a little experimenting, you may be able to make the game a little more difficult.

Here are a few snippets from the dissassembly, available at the dig.

;===============================================================================
; C O N S T A N T S
;===============================================================================

; initial values for the random number generator:

SEED_LO         = $14          ; change "to go, where no one has gone before" :)

SEED_HI         = $A8

; create more enemies and less fuel in higher difficulty levels:

LDA    #64              ; 2

SBC    level            ; 3             1..48 (CF=0!)

ASL                     ; 2             a = 124..30

CMP    randomHi         ; 3

BCC    .newEnemy        ; 2             ~48%..88% -> more enemies, less fuel and houses

BIT    randomLo         ; 3

BVC    .newFuel         ; 2             ~24%.. 6% -> less fuel

If somebody is interested in:

I'm using for this hack Thomas J.'s disassembling of RR (great work).

Only in the source code I have the ability to change colors, sounds and behaviour of the game, not only the graphics (and I'll be able to compile both ntsc and pal).

It's hard for me because I can't read assembler code. Only with the source comments and with help from Thomas I'm understanding the source.

Tools: ApplePowerBook/Virtual PC/DASM assembler/Crimson editor/Z26/MacStella

I think I can't use DASM on Mac with OS9 and without the Apple developer software. The work would be much easier if I could use Mac software only. If someone can help ...

Your latest version kicks ass! Try playing Thomas Jentzsch's River Raid Plus....http://www.atariage.com/hack_page.html?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=68 Difficulty has been bumped up quite a bit. I was curious if you could incorporate the evil robot tank from the attached River Raid Tank Hack? I have OS9 & 10 but prefer 9. If I get my hands on the Apple Developer Tools, then I would give this a whirl. See attached pic as well of the Tank Hack. Just a wish for your version of Planet Raid (Tank Wish-space mobile)

riverraidtanks.zip

post-2800-1082238335_thumb.jpg