IGNORED

SE Michigan Arcade Meet!

Mr.FoodMonster

Ionia? That's a bit out of my way. (for anyone who needs a map, it's kind of between Grand Rapids and Lansing)

I can bring my digital camera. One memory card is enough to hold over 270 pictures at 3Mpix. And I'll load up on extra C64 stuff I have, there's lots of software (mostly untested), lots of 1541's, lots of 64 and a 64c and I believe a boxed Plus 4.

Well, They do have a reserved area over by 'The Tables' and that costs a pretty penny for rental. But it also includes pizza and shit, so maybe someone who is chatty with the staff (Uber, I'm looking at you) can work something out. All I know is that I cant do it, because I'm going to be a little late to the event as it is. Great to see some people are willing to take pictures though!

I'll talk to him when I get the chance and let you know whats up.

There is, but again, someone else may have the area reserved, and they pay, so we get the boot. If not, then sweet! Also, Susu, can you bring a spare c64 switchbox? I have no idea what one is, if its different then the atari one, but my friend needs one, he hasnt played is C64 in ages because he cant hook it up. Also, a few FUN games for him while I'm being nice.

C64 RF is the same as Atari RF, you just need any standard switch box or even an asdapter plug with RCA at one end and F-type at other end for direct connection to the TV.

I think there's a couple switch boxes in the mix but they may be all for 300 ohms hookup (twin leads) and would require a 300 ohms to 75 ohms converter to use on modern TV.

I'll quote what Achika said over at DP

Just a reminder that this is only 3 days away! If you are planning on going it's time to start:  

1) Getting your carpool going  

1b) Muscling your way into a carpool  

2) Stealing your mom/best friend/sibling/etc.'s car  

3) Thinking of your sick story to give to work on Saturday because you forgot to take it off  

4) Scouring trashcans and taking cans back to Meijers to get gas money  

5) Digging through your closet for a pair of running shoes  

6) Looking at bus schedules, finding transfers, buying tickets, making copies.  

This is open to ANYONE! Not just Michigan members. It may be small, but it's gonna be a lot of fun. So far we've got people coming from Ohio, Illinois....even if you're coming from Moscow, we'd love to have you with us.

C64 RF is the same as Atari RF, you just need any standard switch box or even an asdapter plug with RCA at one end and F-type at other end for direct connection to the TV.

I think there's a couple switch boxes in the mix but they may be all for 300 ohms hookup (twin leads) and would require a 300 ohms to 75 ohms converter to use on modern TV.

I definitely suggest using the RCA to Coaxial adapter as opposed to a normal switchbox, as I have had excellent results with them and use them all the time. TV/Game Switches seem to be a magnet for RF interference, so I would avoid them if at all possible. :)

Hope everyone has fun at the event! I know I'd be there if I was in the area!

..Al

Are we all meeting somewhere at Pete's? I'll be honest, I don't know what most of you look like. I'll be wearing some video game related shirt (AA most likely). I think if everyone wears a AA or DP shirt (or something similar) it will be alot easier to find everyone.

Tempest

Hi everyone! It's good to see that there's so much interest.

I just wanted to let you know that there are people coming from as far away as Ohio and Illinois so anyone is invited. I don't want to limit this event to "just michigan gamers" if more people are interested in going.

I'll have some miscellaneous accessories, games, strategy guides, etc. in my trade box. I'm trying to fund a trip, so if anyone wants to pick up some of my auctions I can bring the goods tomorrow and refund you the shipping.

Are we all meeting somewhere at Pete's?  I'll be honest, I don't know what most of you look like.  I'll be wearing some video game related shirt (AA most likely).  I think if everyone wears a AA or DP shirt (or something similar) it will be alot easier to find everyone.

Tempest

I'll be wearing my AA shirt. (but you already know what I look like)

I don't hang out at DP enough to know any of them. All I know is they don't talk about atari over there, so I am not there very much. :D

It will be good to get everyone around one spot and take a picture or something. I'm sure we will work something out once we get there.

A slight change of plan for me. My Dad had a little accident with a lawnmower (not the mower's fault, the tree's fault) and because of that, he required some stitches on his hand. Since he can't so any work with his hands, there would be no one else to cover him for hot air balloon ground crew except for me. (he tried the usual, all aren't available tomorrow evenings)

So I have to be in Flint area by 4 PM. I'll still get to Pinball Pete's but I'd have to leave by 3 PM at the latest so if anyone's nearby or there that wants some of my Copmmodore stuff (some games, plenety of 1541's and C64, a boxed C64c and Plus4, and I think 2 printers), be there after 1 PM and before 3 PM. I'll probably wear my favorite hat that I got for free when I preordered Zelda 64 some years ago. :D

It was definitely nice to see quite a few people come down for the event.

It's unfortunate that I was only able to be there for a short time, having to leave before 5:00 to make it to Animania. (It's a monthly tradition with some of my local friends that has been going on for over two years now.) However, I was glad to meet several of the people from AA and DP, and have faces to connect with names (which I will surely forget, as I am bad with them). :)

One thing I'll definitely remember is being humbled. I consider myself a fairly decent gamer, but I know there are those who can blow me out of the water without much effort. For example, my best performance at Q*bert is getting to Level 9 Round 1, but when I was at PC3 I saw somebody playing at that level with a string of extra lives left.

While at Pinball Pete's, I learned some new strategies for playing Mr. Do - don't concentrate on getting the 500 points for a string of cherries; there are bigger prizes to focus on - and witnessed Jess command Marvel vs. Capcom while holding an in-depth conversation about import and fighting games for the Sega Saturn with Tempest. Yikes. Considering my only skill at fighting games is getting beaten handily, I was very impressed by this, and was reminded that I am but a casual gamer in a sea of experts. :)

If this happens again next year, hopefully I'll be able to stick around. For now, it's just nice to see the Michigan gaming enthusiasts all come together for a little while.

I was there yesterday a little after 1 pm but only met one person. SInce it was a bit slow this early, I decided to go out for lunch but my car had other plan. :x it started hemorrhaging brake fluid and I barely was able to make it to an auto shop. The steel cable that carried the fluid to the right front wheel had rusted through completely and broke. They wouldn't be able to do anything until Tuesday as they had planned to close early for the weekend. :x I had to leave all of my C64 stuff in the car as it's too much for me to carry and they wouldn't fit my brother's tiny car.

Called my brother (who lived in Ann Arbor) and got him to rescue me and drove me up to Holly (south of Flint) where I was to meet with my Dad for the ballooning but the pilot decided not to fly because of the rain storm was coming so I ended up getting home with nothing to show but one busted car, no picture taken, and wasted day. :x

Next time, I'm either getting a better car to drive or renting one.

@Susuwatari- I am sorry to hear that you had car problems. :( I am sure that didn't make the day very fun for you. I know my car isn't the best so I borrowed my dads car to take there.

Hope to see you there next time, and maybe even get a chance to talk about that rip off cabinet I am going to get from you. It was a little loud in there, and not very good for conversations :)

I had a whole lot of fun during the meet... even after I got dissed by the disgruntled clerk at Wizziwig's. "I've seen girls do it (open a bottle of Ramune) faster!" Well, I got news for you, dude... that "girl"friend you're dating is probably hiding something from you.

Anyway, moving on swiftly... it takes some practice to become adept at the Marvel vs. series. My ride, Chris Larson, was a little surprised at how much differently it played from the other Street Fighter games... you can't just jump in and expect to clean up, even if you've had plenty of experience with Street Fighter Alpha. Heck, I only consider myself an intermediate Marvel vs. player. When you can string together huge series of combo chains that leave your opponent helpless throughout the entire match, THEN you've moved up to expert status. Don't even get me started on some of the psychos who've perfected their skills at Marvel vs. Capcom 2. You might as well just hold onto your quarter because it'll only last you thirty seconds against one of these guys.

JR

I only consider myself an intermediate Marvel vs. player

Better than I am. If I can't get the CPU into a corner juggle with Wolverine I'm screwed. Of course if I can use War Machine (which one was he in?) and just shoulder cannon my way to a victory I'm good. :)

Tempest