IGNORED

Sky Jaguar High Score Contest - Winner Announced!

Albert

SkyJaguarContest.jpgAtariAge and Opcode Games are proud to announce a Sky Jaguar High Score Contest! Sky Jaguar is an original ColecoVision port of an obscure arcade game of the same name. Sky Jaguar also appeared on MSX computers, which this version is based on. The winner of the high score contest will receive a rare copy of the game "Magical Tree", which is a port that was completed for the ColecoVision by Opcode Games, but will not be sold! Magical Tree is a climbing game where the player's objective is to reach the tree's top, some 2,000 meters above the ground. For more information, please visit the Sky Jaguar High Score Contest page.

Winner Announced! Click Here For Details

for those of you who haven't bought Sky Jaguar yet, get it. I've been playing it constantly, it's a great old school shooter with tons of different enemies, great graphics and cool opening music.

I'm gonna have to get my game face on for this, I want Magical Tree really bad!

Why won't Magical Tree be offered??

Well, basiclly MT doesn't look as a commercially viable project. I mean, each game costs me a lot of money to produce (mostly due to the high prices for quality printed stuff), and if I don't want to loose money I need to make sure a given game will perform well enough to grant my money back. MT, while a nice game, never proved to be a best seller in Japan or Europe, so I started to assume the same would happen here. The main reason is: my budget is really tight. If a game perform really bad, that would be the end of Opcode Games. Each project is a risk, so I must try to reduce the chances of a loss as much as possible.

The good news is, instead trying to sell it, I am giving it away!

I think it's a good way to thank people who have supported me so much. :D

Are we only allowed to submit one high score?  Like let's say I have a pic that shows 100K but tomorrow I score 120K, am I SOL?

You can keep sending improved scores, no problem. In fact I think it would add to the fun. :)

Why won't Magical Tree be offered??

Well, basiclly MT doesn't look as a commercially viable project. I mean, each game costs me a lot of money to produce (mostly due to the high prices for quality printed stuff), and if I don't want to loose money I need to make sure a given game will perform well enough to grant my money back. MT, while a nice game, never proved to be a best seller in Japan or Europe, so I started to assume the same would happen here. The main reason is: my budget is really tight. If a game perform really bad, that would be the end of Opcode Games. Each project is a risk, so I must try to reduce the chances of a loss as much as possible.

The good news is, instead trying to sell it, I am giving it away!

I think it's a good way to thank people who have supported me so much. :D

Couldn't you reduce your costs and risks by including more than one game on a cart and having to print boxes and manuals for each game? I'm sure people would be willing to pay a bit more for a cart with more than one game on it. Is it feasible, say adding a switch to select between EEPROMS on a cart?

Couldn't you reduce your costs and risks by including more than one game on a cart and having to print boxes and manuals for each game? I'm sure people would be willing to pay a bit more for a cart with more than one game on it. Is it feasible, say adding a switch to select between EEPROMS on a cart?

Or by building a cart that's basically just a shell and an easily available socket such that you can rapidly produce cheap boards/chips for it without worrying that you're going to get stuck with an excess of one particuar game.

I assume I can't enter a score from the MSX version emulated on an N-Gage  :D

Cool! But I think N-Gage's screen is too small for anyone to be able to check your score :ponder: :lolblue:

(I was going to say something funny about the fact we now have a proof N-Gages do exist, but maybe it would start a flame work, so never mind) ;) :lolblue: Just kidding... :D

BTW, Sky Jaguar for ColecoVision will work on PAL systems.

Joey,

Test it to see if Sky Jaguar will crash when using the SA controllers. I know some CV games like Qbert or Qbert's Qubes and others will glitch if you use the SA controllers and depress all 4 finger buttons, like it doesn't know what to do with the input.

Joey,  

Test it to see if Sky Jaguar will crash when using the SA controllers. I know some CV games like Qbert or Qbert's Qubes and others will glitch if you use the SA controllers and depress all 4 finger buttons, like it doesn't know what to do with the input.

It plays great with the SAs and the Genny pads. It even works with an Atari, Sega and Coleco tracball in joystick mode :D

I was concerned if using anything but a stock CV controller would be considered cheating in the contest. I want Magical Tree, I don't want technicalities ruining it for me :)

I was concerned if using anything but a stock CV controller would be considered cheating in the contest.  I want Magical Tree, I don't want technicalities ruining it for me :)

So you are using a Genesis controller, right?.. 16 bits stuff, right?..Well, you don't leave with any other option beside disqualifying you.

Just kidding! :P :lolblue:

Please feel free to use any controller you want, even that Mindlink prototype you just bought... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I can tell you *I* won the high-score contest at this game at MGC.  My score was between 90k-91k but it wasn't as high as that screenshot was.  My left hand would had given out had I played for much longer hitting the fire button.  I won:  the TV Games Activision 10 in 1 unit.

My God! Definitively Sky Jaguar was never intended to be played with the standard CV controller. :P Albert is really a sadist forcing people to play this way. :lolblue: I can feel your pain...

But 90k is a fairly good score taking into account such precarious setup... ;)