IGNORED

Moratorium on certain hacks

StanJr

Only half kiddingly, I propose a moratorium on ALL hacks of the following games:

Space Invaders

Berzerk

Megamania

Donkey Kong

Demon Attack

As I have been working with Albert in updating the hack section, I notice that over 90% of the hacks in the database are of these 5 games!!!

I firmly believe that we will ALL get stronger and better as hackers if we diversify a bit. I like a good hack as much as the next guy, but we can only take so much . I also realize these are great games for beginner hackers, but there are other games out there that are just as easy as well.

Its just a thought, and a small request, but unless you just flat out revolutionize one of the above games, let's retire these five and wear out some other classics.

*crickets*

:ponder:

I really like working with all the games that you mentioned. I have learned so much working with Demon Attack and Berzerk that it is really easy and fun hacking both of them. Maybe it would be better to only give the full write-up to hacks that stand out above the others. Then have an everything else section that shows just the Hack Name, Original Game, Hackers Name and the BIN file. You could even clump all the Space Invader Hacks in a group, all the Berzerk Hacks in another, etc...

Right now I am working on a hack of Alligator People called Dawn of the Dead. I have been working alot of OT and going to alot of ball games so my computer time has been limited. I'll be flooding the Hack Forum again soon........... :twisted:

Only half kiddingly, I propose a moratorium on ALL hacks of the following games:

Space Invaders

Berzerk

Megamania

Donkey Kong

Demon Attack

As I have been working with Albert in updating the hack section, I notice that over 90% of the hacks in the database are of these 5 games!!!

I firmly believe that we will ALL get stronger and better as hackers if we diversify a bit.  I like a good hack as much as the next guy, but we can only take so much .    I also realize these are great games for beginner hackers, but there are other games out there that are just as easy as well.

Its just a thought, and a small request, but unless you just flat out revolutionize one of the above games, let's retire these five and wear out some other classics.

*crickets*

:ponder:

...and while on this subject, how about seeing some hacks of the *other* classics like Spider Maze, Skeet Shoot and the three Mythicon game? :P

Just a note from me, I expect I'll have all the hacks section updated sometime this weekend. After that's done, it'll be a bit easier for me to keep on top of the hacks, especially as Stan will be supplying me with the handy info and files I need to put the updates online more quickly. :)

..Al

IMO any hack that just changes the appearance of sprites with no alteration to the gameplay could be cut out of the "official" page.  Users can still get plenty of those from the hacks forum, and it's less clutter for the main page.

AFAIK Al is trying to categorize hacks (e.g. graphics, gameplay, controls). So maybe you could filter the hacks then, e.g. only display hacks where the gameplay and/or the controls have been changed (too).

Space Invaders

Berzerk

Megamania

Donkey Kong

Demon Attack

I can see why you would mention all the games except one, Demon Attack.

Did I miss all of the Demon Attack Hacks?? I know of two (Both Mine):

Extinction!

Invader X

Did I wear it out with all the updates to Invader X? :D