IGNORED

Atari 2600 Compact

Great Hierophant

The Atari 2600 is a reasonably large console. However, certain models, 4-switchers, can be cut down to a rather reduced size.

http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/

Now, while you could make a portable console, I think that making a mini-console would be an easier thing to do. It would put the 2600 in a small box. The six switches would be on the top, just below the cartridge connector. The front side of the box would house the two 9-pin cartridge connectors. The back side would house the power and A/V connectors. (Plenty of room for a Stereo Mod.) If you were exceptionally ambitious you could put an Infrared Port in between the controller ports and use a small remote control with six switches so that you did not have to get up every time to reset the game or select a new difficulty. A counterweight or backdrop may be needed for the Supercharger. The attached text file has an idea of what I am thinking about.

atari_mini.zip

I'm working on something along the same lines at the moment, but mine will have a built in LCD and a few custom built controllers. I've run into a bit of a snag though. I can't seem to work out a video mod that works with my Pyramid LCD.

The Atari 2600 is a reasonably large console.  However, certain models, 4-switchers, can be cut down to a rather reduced size.  

http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/

Now, while you could make a portable console, I think that making a mini-console would be an easier thing to do.  It would put the 2600 in a small box.  The six switches would be on the top, just below the cartridge connector.  The front side of the box would house the two 9-pin cartridge connectors.  The back side would house the power and A/V connectors.  (Plenty of room for a Stereo Mod.)  If you were exceptionally ambitious you could put an Infrared Port in between the controller ports and use a small remote control with six switches so that you did not have to get up every time to reset the game or select a new difficulty.  A counterweight or backdrop may be needed for the Supercharger.  The attached text file has an idea of what I am thinking about.

I made a similar post in the VCSp boards. Take a look at this:

http://www.bingbangboom.us/files/2600schematics.GIF

It's a rather unfinished design for a PCB with same position for cartridge port and controllers as in your ASCII art. Ports for Video/Audio and switches are to the left, but those could easily be repositioned, along with a power jack. The switches would have to be attached to the case above it, though, no room on the board itself... Other than that, it would be good to go and you'd only need to make a case.

If anyone who actually wanted to would complete the schematic, you could order some of these small boards, three for $59.