IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection's log (updated May, 10th)

opcode

Just out of curiosity.. What games are going to be included in the collection?? So far I have read Ms. Pacman and Pacman. Will there be any of the other Pacman titles included as well?

Either way, this looks bloody wicked and I am looking forward to seeing the final cut!! 8)

Just out of curiosity.. What games are going to be included in the collection?? So far I have read Ms. Pacman and Pacman. Will there be any of the other Pacman titles included as well?

Either way, this looks bloody wicked and I am looking forward to seeing the final cut!! 8)

Hi!

Since the original Pac-Man took "just" 24KB, plans are to have Ms. Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus included. And of course Pac-Man will be available in two different versions, US and Japanese.

Hey Opcode.. since I haven't chimed in here yet, lemme do that now.  You know what I'm thinking already... this looks badass! :D

Hi NE146!

Long time don't talk to you, eh?! :D

I am glad you liked it. Now, don't tell you are a Pac-Man expert too! :lolblue:

BTW, I finally checked the PSX Namco Museum version of Pac-Man yesterday, and much to my surprise it doesn't follow the correct arcade patterns (the attract mode plays differently). :o

Hey Opcode.. since I haven't chimed in here yet, lemme do that now.  You know what I'm thinking already... this looks badass! :D

Hi NE146!

Long time don't talk to you, eh?! :D

I am glad you liked it. Now, don't tell you are a Pac-Man expert too! :lolblue:

hahah No, I'm definitely far far FAR away from the champion masters of the game you find out there. :lol: Although I guess I've spent a respectable amount of time on Puck-Man machines so I can hold my own somewhat :P When it comes to Pacman though, I definitely like to use patterns. Hey, patterns aren't a bad thing.. it was what the original game was all about! (imho) :)

BTW, I finally checked the PSX Namco Museum version of Pac-Man yesterday, and much to my surprise it doesn't follow the correct arcade patterns (the attract mode plays differently).  :o

Yeah forget about using the original arcade patterns on ANY released Pacman ports. There may be one I'm not aware of, but I kind of gave up on finding any commercially released Pacman that is faithful to the general patterns. Yours might be the first! :D

Yeah forget about using the original arcade patterns on ANY released  Pacman ports. There may be one I'm not aware of, but I kind of gave up on finding any commercially released Pacman that is faithful to the general patterns. Yours might be the first! :D

I believe Opcode's is the second. I got an email from a guy a while back that was working on the same project for something called a SAM coupe. Whatever the heck that is. I think maybe you have to be British or else I wasn't paying attention.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.owen/sam/pacemu/

Yeah forget about using the original arcade patterns on ANY released  Pacman ports. There may be one I'm not aware of, but I kind of gave up on finding any commercially released Pacman that is faithful to the general patterns. Yours might be the first! :D

I believe Opcode's is the second. I got an email from a guy a while back that was working on the same project for something called a SAM coupe. Whatever the heck that is. I think maybe you have to be British or else I wasn't paying attention.

That's an emulator, though, running the Pac-Man ROMs. This project was written completely from the ground up, right?

That's an emulator, though, running the Pac-Man ROMs. This project was written completely from the ground up, right?

He's calling it an emulator, I wouldn't since it runs the code natively. The roms are patched to drive the computer hardware instead of a pacman board.

I'm not sure what Opcode's doing, but to be frame perfect he's either working from the roms or the source. Either way the results are the same.

I don't know I never tried it myself, I'm just taking his word for it. I have enough problems making mame work w/o leaning new emulators. He emailed me asking why the attract mode was different, I told him and he said he added the 8k into upper memory and it fixed it.

Dave

Hi there!

I got an email from a guy a while back that was working on the same project for something called a SAM coupe.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but who are you knowing so much about Pac-Man internals? Dave Nutting himself?

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I got an email from a guy a while back that was working on the same project for something called a SAM coupe.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but who are you knowing so much about Pac-Man internals? Dave Nutting himself?

Greetings,

Manuel

I was going to ask the same thing... :)

I did the mspacman driver for Mame. I'm not a dev but I send them code occasionally. Mostly I break encryption for them, rather than write drivers. I did the 2 player simultaneous hack (mr & mrs pacman) that's in misfit mame. I designed the 96 in 1 pacman multigame that I've since sold to someone else. http://home.everestkc.net/mdoyle/multipac.htm It includes such hacks as a top 10 hi score list, player 2 control of the red ghost and pacman with 32 mazes. I helped Mike at www.fpgaarcade.com with his pacman on a chip testing. I've ported pengo to pacman hardware, done about 5 or 6 homebrew games for pacman hardware. I've probably dissasembled the entire mspacman at one time or another, I don't keep very good notes though. I have seen the original source code for ms pac too :)

I've been hanging over here for the past few weeks because some friends asked me to work on an atari project, it's almost done. I just haven't decided what to do with it yet.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE June 22nd

- I am now testing Pac-Man in a real ColecoVision and have played it a lot. Gee, I love this game! :)

- Starting preliminary work on Ms Pac-Man. I am finishing the game artwork and doing some coding. Since both games wil use the same engine, I think I will have a easier time with Ms. Pac-Man. Now my biggest challenge will be figure out a good bank switch scheme.

- Pac-Man will be fully playable at CGE2K4! :)

UPDATE: June 28th

- Additional work done to the sprite engine #2 (actual sized sprites). Now intermissions #2 and #3 look arcade perfect.

- Several timing bugs corrected. Now the game plays correctly on a real CV.

- Blinders added to the sprite engine #2, so it now perfectly simulates the arcade screen border and sprites going thru it.

TO DO:

- Add shape routines to the sprite engine #2. It's required to a more accurated simulation of the opening and intermission #1.

UPDATE: June 29th

Since I have both Namco and Midway versions of Pac-Man included in Pac-Man Collection, I was thinking about a similar treatment to Ms Pac-Man.

In the first I thought about a fake Namco version for this game, just to keep consistency. However I think I came up with a better idea: if you take a close look at Ms Pac-Man graphic char set (using MAME) you will find the GCC logo in there. So I decided to pay homage to the original creators of Ms Pac-Man and included a "fake" GCC version of this game with Pac-Man Collection.

Check the screenshot bellow and let me know that you think. :)

post-1432-1088522735_thumb.jpg