IGNORED

HSC1 R4: Moon Patrol and Necromancer

Goochman

Folks,

I have to start Week 4 a bit early since I wont be around most of tomorrow - These are 2 really fun games on the 8bit - Necromancer is considered one of the best by many.

Play Moon Patrol on the Beginner setting. NO CONTINUES!

I am going to *try* and run next week. I have surgery next Thursday so I might not be able to update the scoreboard Thur/Fri. If I cant finish the week Apolloboy will take over (Thanks Apollo!)

Also,

Ive got the timezones down better - This contest will end 5AM GMT next Saturday (so any post after 5am next Saturday will be too late). This coincides with midnight EDT.

Please provide suggestions for next week in your score submissions.

Good Luck!

Necromancer

necromancer.zip

moon_patrol.zip

Is this the version of moon patrol that was fixed so the sound would work on XL/XE machines.

Just a couple suggestions on rules.

Moon Patrol scores should be based on starting from the beginning of the game.

I think the default skill level is beginner. So I assume that it would be the level everyone needs to play.

I never was a really big fan of moon patrol, but after playing it today. It's pretty fun. Technically it is a great translation and the later levels get pretty neat. Anyways I always thought it was kind of monotonous but they add stuff to make it more challenging.

Hope the operation goes well for you gooch. Hopefully you will be able to get a few games in before the week end.

I'll provide moon patrol tips later.

Thanks for the necromancer bjk7832. I was gonna post some gameplay basics so people know what the heck to do in this game. It's a great game and very tough. I've only finished it once.

My initial efforts:

Moon Patrol - 19800

Necromancer - 42737

BTW,

Play MP the XL/XE version or the one I posted here - Im sure gameplay is no different. Play on the Beginner Level. ALSO - Make sure you reset your Moon Patrol cartidge after each game - otherwise the 'bonus times' will not be reset and you wont get as much bonus.

moonpatrol_s1_sck_800_19800.jpg

necromancer_s1_sck_800_42737.jpg

BTW' date='

Play MP the XL/XE version or the one I posted here [/quote']

Well I can't play that rom you posted with APE so I would like to use my cartrige, but don't know if it is the same version. It is the regular silver label with the xe style case. (same style as seen in the first picture of this thread.)

I am pretty sure this is the version you are talking about anyway.

My initial efforts:

Moon Patrol - 19800

Necromancer - 42737

BTW' date='

Play MP the XL/XE version or the one I posted here - Im sure gameplay is no different. Play on the Beginner Level. ALSO - Make sure you reset your Moon Patrol cartidge after each game - otherwise the 'bonus times' will not be reset and you wont get as much bonus.[/quote']

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure your bonus score is determined by the average, not your best score.

Or something like that.

My initial efforts:

Moon Patrol - 19800

Necromancer - 42737

BTW' date='

Play MP the XL/XE version or the one I posted here - Im sure gameplay is no different. Play on the Beginner Level. ALSO - Make sure you reset your Moon Patrol cartidge after each game - otherwise the 'bonus times' will not be reset and you wont get as much bonus.[/quote']

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure your bonus score is determined by the average, not your best score.

Or something like that.

The 'bonus' start point is high when first started (like 80 or something). It changes when you play - So my example:

Game 1:

1st Stage Complete - My Time 62 Record 80 - bonus 1800

Game 2:

1st Stage Complete - My Time 61 Record 62 - bonus 100

YOu should restart the machine on each attempt so you can qualify for the highest bonus payout - Doesnt matter to me ;) - but you'll be cheating yourself out of some points.

Moon Patrol - 27450

I breezed through the levels until I got to the tanks - ouch - forgot how to get those guys :o

Yep they surprised me too. I just shoot their missile and jump over them. Though I suspect you get loads more points for taking them out. :)

My initial efforts:

Moon Patrol - 19800

Necromancer - 42737

BTW' date='

Or something like that.

The 'bonus' start point is high when first started (like 80 or something). It changes when you play - So my example:

Game 1:

1st Stage Complete - My Time 62 Record 80 - bonus 1800

Game 2:

1st Stage Complete - My Time 61 Record 62 - bonus 100

YOu should restart the machine on each attempt so you can qualify for the highest bonus payout - Doesnt matter to me ;) - but you'll be cheating yourself out of some points.

Are you sure? I tried it both ways.

On fresh boot the average time was 80, finished in 59, bonus 3100.

I tried it on one of my save states that had my highest score, started from the beginning and got the same results.

I'll have to try the copy posted here.

Alright here are some tips.

The fast and the furious - When you complete a stage you get 100 points for each second that you beat the average completion time by. So it pays to move as fast as possible. Just remember do not sacrifice a life at the expense of speed because you will lose even more precious time.

To Be Continued - At the completion of a game if you press the fire button the game will continue at the point your game ended. A great way to practice a little on the "suprise" that killed you in the first place and to see what is ahead. Press START to start from the beginning.

Wired for sound - If you hear the enemy ufo's. Start firing immediately.

Danger will robinson! Danger! - The UFO's that form a 3 circular/triangular shape create pot holes with their missiles. So watch out! If you are quick you can destroy them before they get ahead of you.

Watch your speed on the teeny rocks/pebbles (whatever they are). You cannot shoot them and if your going to fast you'll crash before you can jump again!

Hillbilly - The hill sections have a pattern to them. Learn it, know it, love it. Actually the whole game has a pattern. ;)

Lock -n- load - Start off each stage with guns a blazing. They usually start with UFO's at the beginning of each section.

Watch your speed on the teeny rocks/pebbles (whatever they are).

I think you are refering to the "mines"

And I think Shannon is right about the bonus points. I tried just hititing start and it compared my time to 80 and 100 each time.

Here is my moon patrol score. I got to "Z" one time and then made it to "G" in the next wave.

post-3803-1083621357_thumb.jpg

53,154 on Necromancer

49,700 on Moon Patrol.

I'll post a pic for necromancer later. Too much trouble for moon patrol since I played it on my GP32. I came close to that score on my xbox, but not close enough. It was hard enough getting the snapshot of my score for Drol, even with a backlit gp32.

Hopefully I'll be able to beat that.

My last gasp before getting cut up today ;)

Moon Patrol 49000 - I had 3 really cheap deaths at the end - shouldve been better :(

Whats everyones best time on the first leg? I got there in 58 seconds!

Remember,

Contest ends at Sat, 5/8 at 5am (the time on this message board) - Any scores submitted after that are too late.

I *hope* to be able to update the Scoreboard tomorrow or Sat but there could be a delay. Good Luck!

moonpatrol_s1_sck_800_49000.jpg

During my playing tonight I did manage to get 57 seconds on the first leg once.

Anyways here are my latest scores. Pictures to come later.

Necromancer - 71,347

Moon Patrol - 63,800

Some more tips.

MoonPatrol.

Put the petal to the metal part II - I have found that when the UFO's that leave craters come it is easier to go fast and fire at them until they are gone. There are a couple of exceptions, but doing this will help with your time. Just don't forget to hop over the craters.

Take the petal off the metal - When the UFO's show up, I let up on the gas a little. These seems to make it easier to avoid getting hit by a cheap shot.

Pot shot - It is possible to shoot the bombs dropped by the UFO's. I have saved my self on occassion by doing this. But since my reflex is to dodge. I do not always succeed.

A shot, skip, and a jump - Shoot the tank missiles and hop over the tank. You get more points this way (100 vs 50). It is possible to shoot the tank and missile if you are going slow enough. But I've only found one area where this is practical.

Rock Hopper - Hop over the rocks. You will get more points.

Section U-Z is a very important section. You get more bonus points (I guess because it is the end of that level). So try to be timely with this section. Once you get past the tanks it is fairly easy (just watch out at section Y).

Rocket Launcher - It is possible to shoot the rocket in section B of round 2 after you jump over it. Plus it is worth 500 points for hopping over it and shooting it. (not sure of the individual scores).

NECROMANCER..

On the first screen. Plant your first tree to either the far right or left and then guard it till it is full grown. Then plant each successive tree next to it. This protects the growing trees from ogres and makes them easier to save if the spider poisons them.

Once you use up all the space left and right, start above and below your player. Be careful though you wand is attracted to ogres and it is easy to miss your target. Be aware of this for the first tip.

Go the distance - You move to the next screen when your strength reaches zero. Your also rewarded 200 health points for each level you survive. So hang on till level 5. You can increase health by killing the spider. If you succeed you will have 1000 health points for screen two. This is easier to do if without losing a bunch of trees if you follow my advice above.

Drain it - Sometimes it is a good idea to hit as many ogres as possible and drain your health to zero as fast as you can. Just to keep the spider from killing all your trees.

Screen two.

Nuke em! - That link provided earlier suggests staying away from the spider eggs (the glowing ones). I say try to get them as fast as you can.

The best offense is defense - If you cant for some reason get the glowing egg in time, move your character to the top if the egg is on the bottom, or bottom if it is on the top. Clear out as many trees as you can so the spider will not kill them and wait for him to appear and nail him.

Tree hugger - If your on the same side as the trees you can protect them from the spider easier. If your health is low though I would not worry about that. The spider is easy to hit with a diagonal move.

Arachnophobia - If you have 1000 or more health and are on level 3 and up, just protect your trees and take the hit. You need your trees. If your health is low, concentrate on getting the spider. You get health for killing him. This is fairly easy on 1 and 2, a little harder on 3, and nearly impossible on 4 and 5.

Make like a tree and leave - If you health is low and your on level 4 and 5. You might wanna consider hurrying to the next screen (cemetary), because you will not survive long on that screen with low health. Besides killing the spider eggs is really tough on level 4 and 5.

Exit Stage Left - Always try to go to the next level on the right side. This puts you near your trees and closer to the questions marks that appear so you can lower the ladder faster.

Top to bottom, left to right - On level 3 and up the first two eggs on the bottom right are fairly easy to get to. But it is easier to get the trees to the bottom half left side if you start the tree from the top, go across (right to left), down the ladder, and then plant.

Hook -n- Ladder - If you stay near the middle of the ladder you can move the trees to the top and bottom half by moving your player just a little up or down.

Keep your hands to yourself - Keep your player away from the hands. If they grab you, you will lose alot of health.

Screen three.

Just read the suggestions on the link provided earlier in this thread. It is best to make sure you have plenty of health when starting the cemetary.

Good luck!

hehe, I'll be ready for you! No way anyone's gonna put me down this time, it's the first time that I've been able to be up there with you so this one's mine, IT'S MINE I SAY!!! muahahahaha :D

I don't think I've ever played Moon Patrol this much ever before :D

/Troop