IGNORED

How come CV protos rarely ever surface?

Zaxxon

What's the deal? It seems like every month another 5200 and 2600 proto surfaces yet you hardly ever hear about new CV protos. Looking at the CV FAQ, there were lots of games in the pipeline when the crash hit. Is it just that there are way fewer CV collectors out there looking for them compared to the number of 2600 collectors?

If I may speculate:

* A lot of Coleco games were first party to begin with, so they probably kept tight controls over the beta process in house and didn't send out copies until games were finished.

* For better or worse, the 2600 completely eclipsed Coleco in sales and pop culture status. That's why to this day you still get eBay sellers who list Coleco games as Atari games.

* There simply weren't the bulk amount of games, nor excessive amount of software companies making games, to have the ridiculous amount of prototypes for CV as are for 2600.

Another bullet point here.

* Telegames probably owns them all. They have released a bunch of games that never came out during the CV's run, and I think they own the rights to the whole catalog (except maybe PB and Spectravision). So, they're probably sitting on a bunch of incomplete ones.

According to the CV FAQ, these are the only games Telegames owns the rights to:

Games Telegames owns rights to are: Alcazar The Forgotten Fortress, Beamrider, H.E.R.O., Keystone Kapers, Pitfall, Pitfall II, River Raid, Rock 'N' Bolt, Zenji,  

Decathlon, Gustbuster, Rolloverture, Campaign '84, Quest for Quintana Roo, Mountain King, Skiing, Amazing Bumpman, Tank War, Strike It, Meteoric Shower,  

Wing War, Fathom, Moonsweeper, Nova Blast, Tournament Tennis, Dragonfire, Kung Fu Superkicks, Motocross Racer, Sir Lancelot, Artillery Duel, Tomark the  

Barbarian, Robin Hood, AquaAttack, Blockade Runner, Sewer Sam, Squish-em Sam, Boulderdash, AstroChase, and Centipede. - TC

These are the same games Telegames included in their Personal Arcade software for the PC.

Yeah, I'm aware of several that have come out since Coleco pulled the plug but it's hardly anything compared to the amount seen for Atari systems. I don't know why all these Atari protos managed to leak out. Coleco developers either had ultra tight security or no one is looking for them.

Do you figure that if Telegames didn't own the rights to them, that they'd be floating out there, waiting for collectors to find them?

I wouldn't give up completely though. There's gotta be people out there who have CV protos. However, they're probably not aware of AtariAge and the prototypes section so that's why you don't hear about them often.

It doesnt' mean that they aren't possibly out there though. :ponder:

If I may speculate:  

* A lot of Coleco games were first party to begin with, so they probably kept tight controls over the beta process in house and didn't send out copies until games were finished.  

* For better or worse, the 2600 completely eclipsed Coleco in sales and pop culture status. That's why to this day you still get eBay sellers who list Coleco games as Atari games.  

* There simply weren't the bulk amount of games, nor excessive amount of software companies making games, to have the ridiculous amount of prototypes for CV as are for 2600.

I couldn't have said it better myself. These are also pretty much the same reasons that Intellivision protos don't show up all that often.

Tempest

• 4 weeks later...
There is also a Joust repro being sold without sound in the game.

There should be a version somewhere with sound. I talked to the programmer who did the sound for all the Atarisoft Colecovision games. He distinctly remembers doing the sound for Joust.

Who knows where it is though?

Tempest