IGNORED

Kaboom SNES and River Raid 3 SNES FOUND!

Klove

I had that magazine once, too. I remember the screenshots. Thanks for posting them. Ken Love, IIRC, was pretty active with Digital Eclipse and/or the Activisions Classics/Anthology stuff from the PS2 era. He would post here now & then. If he works for Activision, then surely you can understand that he listens to his Legal Dept.

I wonder if they planned to support the Super Nintendo mouse with Kaboom?

Too bad that Klove didn't leak these. He had a parting of the ways with Activision that didn't sound pleasant, as I recall from reading his posts around here a few years back.

Would've been neat to see these quietly slip out afterwards...

• Like 1

I wonder if they planned to support the Super Nintendo mouse with Kaboom?

Too bad that Klove didn't leak these. He had a parting of the ways with Activision that didn't sound pleasant, as I recall from reading his posts around here a few years back.

Would've been neat to see these quietly slip out afterwards...

You NEVER KNOW!! Maybe somebody from Activisioin was able to smuggle a copy of 1 or possibly BOTH the games, and is in his or her personal collection to this day!!!

It looks like Kaboom would have had multiple backgrounds to keep it fresh & interesting because the other screenshot that we have hints at this. Here are the other two shots from the other article for those who may have missed it or didn't go off site to see them.

post-17556-0-77276700-1415886653.png

post-17556-0-81303000-1415886660.png

River Raid was really a masterpiece, as-is, so that one would have sold itself with enhanced snes graphics & new power ups, etc. It could easily have become an Aero Fighters or Raiden type vertical shooter. With the simpler games like Kaboom, they could handle those by adding in power ups, enhancements, unlockables & maybe a small storyline, I mean the sky could be the limit.

I could see those older simpler 80's games coming of age in the 90's with some tweaking. Like Arkanoid did to Breakout.

Q*Bert 3 on SNES for example is an excellent game and lots of fun to play.

I hope River Raid would've preserved having to navigate down a canyon and other obstacles. While we routinely saw 2D horizontal shooters, that's not something we saw much of over the years with vertical shooters.

If we were essentially free to roam wherever we wanted like the already mentioned Raiden, it just wouldn't of been River Raid.

• 8 years later...
On 8/8/2001 at 5:37 PM, Klove said:

All,

Just a quick email to let you know that I happened to find the prototypes of Kaboom and River Raid 3 for the SNES.

Kaboom! is at best... "OK"

Anyway.. "There ya' have it!" They do in-fact exist.

Do I have the rom dump?  COULD YOU send me a copy of it by 

On 7/13/2023 at 3:35 AM, CarlosG said:

Do I have the rom dump? 

Wouldn't you know? 🤪

Kidding aside, the thread is 22 years old and that user has not been around in 4 years.  BTW, I hope that is a burner email you posted, creepy crawlers pick that up.

• Haha 2