IGNORED

Vectrex 3D Interface

Rob Mitchell

Kevin Horton has released and is now selling his 3D interface with 3D glasses so that the 3D Vectrex games can be enjoyed. Whereas the original 3D Vectrex goggles make the games in color, this homebrew hardware uses LCD shutter glasses and the effect is in black/white only.

Here is a compilation of two reviews posted to the Rec.Games.Vectrex newsgroup:

Richard Hutchinson wrote:

>Anyway, I tested the 3 games -

>

> Narrow Escape 3D - not so good (unless you want a seizure)

>

> Crazy Coaster - good

>

> 3D MineStorm - WOW ! - it's worth getting them just for this game - the 3D effect is REALLY amazing. It just goes to show the potential for new games using Kev's adaptor.

My response:

The 3D effect didn't work for me on Narrow Escape, Crazy Coaster or the Rocket Sledge demo. There are some timing issues with these. Might it be because these games use a separate color wheel? (I donno .. both color wheels have 1/2 area blackout.)

It did work really well on MineStorm 3D. Those spinning mines are really really really really really cool! And the background mines only come forward when the foreground mines are destroyed.

Congratulations and thanks to Kevin for a nice piece of hardware! But because of the limited enjoyment of the other games, I suggest getting this 3D kit setup only if you love MineStorm.

The cost of the circuit is $39 and the shutter glasses are $20. This circuit was designed for the SMS 3D shutter glasses so if you have them you do not have to buy the new glasses.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I have the adapter/glasses also...

And I'm happy with it.

Minestorm 3D is awesome. Not just fun 3D, but it's a great game!!

Awesome!!!

The other 2 games, I had issues with. "Double imaging"..

Some suggestions were sitting back as far as you can, and using a dark (red spectrum) overlay.

Well, I have an original Vectrex controller, so back isn't too far back, but I did.

Also, I only have one overlay, the one that came with Protector. And it's pinkish in color.. So I tried it...

And the results were palpable.. There was still a little double imaging, but I'd describe it as much easier to "lose" the doubles, and eventually it's just 3D. Almost like with the Stereograms, where you stare, and eventually you "get" the 3D. Then it's great.

In fact, I prefer the 3D in Narrow Escape, It's VERY deep 3D. And Crazy Coaster is pretty good.

But, all together, this is for Minestorm 3D. Just a perfect package of 3D and gameplay!!!

desiv

(Also helps me justify the mony I spent on the original Protector with overlay. :-) )

That sounds pretty sweet! But there aren't any Veccy multi-carts available any more, which was my first option. I guess I can get recreations of the individual carts.

You can get recreations of the three 3D games .. for $10 each from Mark Shaker.

Or you can get the VecFlash cart for $70. I have all three games plus the 3D demo program loaded on the VecFlash cart.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Well, he's been releasing them slowing on EBay (not an auction tho, BIN set price). He's been posting in rec.games.vectrex about it.

I'm not sure with the rest of his release, if he was going to use EBay, or that was just the first batch..

I'll post here when he says anything else, unless someone beats me to it.

desiv