IGNORED

OKGE 2004!

-^CrossBow^-

Hey.. saves me from buying a bunch of papers :)

Too bad the website is spitting out a bunch of undecoded HTML code for me :/  Someone forgot to close a tag somewhere!

And it's weird to be referred to as "The Greens"!

Hey, you're local! Go buy out the newspaper stands :D

Doesn't look like the PDF archive has been updated with the Sunday stuff yet. Furthermore, the "Southwest Times Record" site hasn't been updated at all.

Amazingly, we've got a couple of people in charge of putting the articles on the Web. You'd think they'd get it right. Oh, well.

By the way, I hope you picked up an actual copy -- you'd see they led the biz section with the "classic gaming" article and even teased to it from the front page of the paper (complete with a photo, too). You'd also notice a "fast fact" box with a number of sites listed, including Atari Times and a couple run by some maniacs -- called particles and Phosphor Dot Fossils, something like that. I did notice they stripped my headline off the fast fact box and replaced it with an innacurate title -- "Game Suppliers on the Web." Oh, well.

Can't say I'm completely pleased with how it came out, but it'll do. I usually only have to worry about edits when I write something too long. That's precisely what happened here.

By the way, I hope you picked up an actual copy -- you'd see they led the biz section with the "classic gaming" article and even teased to it from the front page of the paper (complete with a photo, too). You'd also notice a "fast fact" box with a number of sites listed, including Atari Times and a couple run by some maniacs -- called particles and Phosphor Dot Fossils, something like that. I did notice they stripped my headline off the fast fact box and replaced it with an innacurate title -- "Game Suppliers on the Web." Oh, well.

Can't say I'm completely pleased with how it came out, but it'll do. I usually only have to worry about edits when I write something too long. That's precisely what happened here.

Well.. I'm kind of a game supplier (http://www.epochgames.com) so it sorta works. I did get the real paper actually but I didn't see the front page! (the wife brought home just the business section). Thanks for the writeup!

Amazingly, we've got a couple of people in charge of putting the articles on the Web. You'd think they'd get it right. Oh, well.

That's part of my job for the TV station. If you guys need me to help in my spare time, I could use the cash. :D

Seriously though, good article. And lots of Greens in this whole northwest Arkansas retrogaming scene too - funny that! Also funny to see myself mentioned in the same article as Jakks Pacific and Radica. ;)

Earl,

Having you mentioned in the article along with Jakks Pacific and Radica, isn't nearly as humorous as seeing links to buy their products on your website?

Also, for all of you, just so you know, Earl, the table with the Odyssey 1, 2600, Sands 2200, etc on it...that wasn't the prize table. That was the quickly put together museum for this year. We were going to have some stuff from Curt Vendel but things came to quickly and it wasn't possible for this year. So we had to do what we could to come up with something. There was a table with all the prizes on it, but it was behind the tourney table near the entrance.

Prizes included items like a Frogger coleco tabletop, Donkey Kong Coleco tabletop, Boxed homebrews from Packrat Video Games, Gift Certs from both Vintage Stock and GameXchange, a few copies of the Manci Games mag, signed Feet of Fury games for the DC, a Lynx package from Eric De Lee, Sega Hot Wheels sets...and a few other things that I can't recall off the top of my head right now.

Just wanted to make sure you understood, that the table you have listed as the prize table....wasn't.

Still be on the look out for an '05 show from us!

8)

The funniest thing just happened...

I just got a call from some old lady on my answering machine who read the OKGE article in the Morning News and decided to look me up and call me.

She was trying to pawn off an old Atari 5200 with Breakout and Centipede for cash. I suuuurrrreeee hope I don't get a bunch of these calls unless they're offering it for free :)

Ah man, I'm gonna miss out on these calls! Kinda sucks really - sometimes you never know what'll come of them. When Flack was covered by the AP this summer, someone called him with a helluva deal. All that's standing between me and those calls are (1) my unlisted number, and (2) being between Alma and Mountainburg, not in Fort Smith (though technically, my site has its own Fort Smith PO box, so Ethan's article is not incorrect in that regard - the site may be Fort Smith-based where billing and receiving and shipping are concerned, but I'm out-in-the-middle-o'-nowhere-based now! :D ).

Other than that, very good article, I thought. And certainly not a bad bit of advertising for any of us who got a mention! Thanks Ethan!

Ah man, I'm gonna miss out on these calls!  Kinda sucks really - sometimes you never know what'll come of them.  When Flack was covered by the AP this summer, someone called him with a helluva deal.  All that's standing between me and those calls are (1) my unlisted number, and (2) being between Alma and Mountainburg, not in Fort Smith (though technically, my site has its own Fort Smith PO box, so Ethan's article is not incorrect in that regard - the site may be Fort Smith-based where billing and receiving and shipping are concerned, but I'm out-in-the-middle-o'-nowhere-based now!  :D ).

Other than that, very good article, I thought.  And certainly not a bad bit of advertising for any of us who got a mention!  Thanks Ethan!

Sure thing. By the way, out somewhere between Alma and Mountainburg? Is that Chester or something? You live in that I-540 tunnel? :D

Wait! I got it! They'll have to change the name of the Bobby Harper Tunnel to the Earl Green Tunnel. Think of the fame.

Hey, I'm not making fun. I live in Springdale, perhaps the least sophisticated area of the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers MSA, so I don't have any room to talk. The fact I love it hear makes things even worse.

So, Messrs. Green and Green -- when we going out game huntin'? It'll have to be a bit to me due to my wife's surgery this week, but it sounds like a trip needs to be planned.

Actually, no, literally, we're not in anyone's city limits - not even Chester! I had to place a call about some dogs battering down our fences to come and, erm, visit my dog (needless to say, we're spayed the poor dear since she started getting that...attention)...and discovered we're under Crawford County jurisdiction so no help could be offered. :lol: "But hey, if they're tearin' down yer fence, you could probably shoot 'em!" (Yeah, thanks for that, deputy.)

Surprisingly, despite being a city mouse, I've grown to like it. We're not far off of I-540 though, so you're warm. :P

Finally, the PDFs on the OKGE article got posted. Here are the links:

http://www.nwamorningnews.com/pdfarchive/2...-26-04%20D1.pdf

http://www.nwamorningnews.com/pdfarchive/2...-26-04%20D6.pdf

Glad they finally bothered to post them...

I'm having problems viewing both links :(

the first link opens a window with nothing there and the second link opens a bunch of squares and such

I actually took Brian game hunting in Fort Smith once - I was kinda disappointed compared with some of my previous hauls (it had been a while since I'd bothered), but on the other hand...I think he walked away with some Genesis goodness and I scored a working C64 and a Koala Pad for $15 at one thrift store. Not too shabby. I need to check out the thrift/antique store action in nearby Alma sometime soon. Somewhere, out there in the world, is a Quadrun with my name on it! Uhhh...maybe.

Yeah I downloaded the latest version and all worked well..

Bah! Typical fluff piece. Where's the hard hitting questions? ;)

J/K  :D  

Nice write up! Good read!

Thanks! I wish it would have been longer.

Hard hitting questions, huh. I can see it now...

"A group of Atari fans at Oklahoma Gaming revealed the truth about that Yarusso character..." :D

I actually took Brian game hunting in Fort Smith once - I was kinda disappointed compared with some of my previous hauls (it had been a while since I'd bothered), but on the other hand...I think he walked away with some Genesis goodness and I scored a working C64 and a Koala Pad for $15 at one thrift store.  Not too shabby.  I need to check out the thrift/antique store action in nearby Alma sometime soon.  Somewhere, out there in the world, is a Quadrun with my name on it!  Uhhh...maybe.

I'd like to correct you a bit, *I* found the C64, you found the Koala Pad.. but I gave up the C64 cauz I didn't need it :) Just kidding of course...

I found some Genesis stufff, Blue Print boxed for the 5200 (for $7), and a couple 2600 games. Hey, neither one of us came home empty handed! I consider that a good day.