IGNORED

Minigame, 3rd try

Thomas Jentzsch

And my high score is up to 1007 :)

So it does play ok then?

I think it is a really fun game as it is right now, but it is kinda hard to get used to the scoring at first, and how to maximize your score.

Or should I tweak some parameters (gravity, scores, length of each level etc.)?

I don't even think I am totally used to how the score flashing at the top works. I know it flashes your high score, and then your score for the level so far. But it is hard to tell when you are running short of points when it is flashing.

How about the sounds? Should I change the scoring sound?

I know it is way too much to ask in 1k, but it would be nice to have an in game sound like Solar Storm from Imagic. The sound gets faster as you start falling behind. I think that would give this game some audible indication as to when you are doing bad.

Anything you really miss?

I will play it some more and get back to you...

The game works on the CC2.  The flashing score confuses me.

Me too :), I just wanted to show the high score during the game too. Probably the player can memorize that, so maybe I should remove that? :ponder:

Am I supposed to bounce on the lines or avoid them?

:idea: You should hit them, but only selected ones. Have a look at the scoring system I described above. Try to start hitting red platforms only, this will maximize your score. When the game gets too fast, switch to a color with more platforms, so that you can control your fall better (first yellow and later on green).

And what is the significance of the double line?

:idea: You can always use the grey platforms to slow down. Bouncing from double high platforms will also slow you down and give you a little break from the action. The top platform of a double high platform is always grey, so it both won't break your scoring sequence. The grey top platfrom is then removed and you can collect the platform below.

:idea: Always try to collect blue bonus platforms and avoid purple malus platforms at all costs.

I suppose I need to invest some time and my limited English to write some very good instructions for the little game. :)

I think it is a really fun game as it is right now, but it is kinda hard to get used to the scoring at first, and how to maximize your score.

I know, the description is probably a bit too complicated, but generally it is quite easy:

:idea: Start with red platforms (= avoid yellow and green), switch to yellow when the game gets too fast and finally switch to green. Use grey and double high platforms for slowing down, collect blue platforms for bonus points, avoid magenta platforms.

That's not too complicated, isn't it? ;)

I don't even think I am totally used to how the score flashing at the top works. I know it flashes your high score, and then your score for the level so far. But it is hard to tell when you are running short of points when it is flashing.

See my reply above, I suppose I really should remove that "feature".

I know it is way too much to ask in 1k, but it would be nice to have an in game sound like Solar Storm from Imagic. The sound gets faster as you start falling behind. I think that would give this game some audible indication as to when you are doing bad.

Hm, I like the idea, but it's a bit hard to tell when you "start falling behind". You constantly collect and loose points, so maybe I had to calculate an average for the last few seconds. That probably too complicated here.

Or maybe I could base it on the difference to the current game's high score? :ponder:

Updated, (almost?) final version 0.99.

Changes:

- removed flashing score during game

- slightly increased initial gravity

- a few more double height platforms

- starts with 300 points now (saved me 1 byte :))

- different sounds when collecting platforms (higher pitch = more points)

- hitting a magenta platform now immediately ends game

- added game over sound

- removed some paddle jitter

- fixed some bugs

A Stella property file is now included.

5 bytes free :)

BTW: I am going to submit this game to the 2004 MiniGame Compo tomorrow, but I am afraid the instrcutions might become to complicated if I write them. Could anybody help me out here? I need some brief instructions, without going too much into details (I can easily add those myself ;)). Thanks!

crash__n_dive__v0.99_.zip

Fun game! :-)

It is hard for me to tell when I need to switch from red platforms to yellow platforms... and then to green.

An idea for perhaps an "easy" or "training" mode might be to have the walls change to the color of the platforms that you must fall on.

This might make for an interesting game mode too, if the color changed each time a platform is broken or when a certain score is reached... etc.

Anyways, thanks for yet another great game! 8) :thumbsup:

It is hard for me to tell when I need to switch from red platforms to yellow platforms... and then to green.

That solely depends on you! :)

You should switch when the game gets too fast. The better you get, the longer you can stay at red (and then yellow) and the more points you can score. But don't stay too long, else you will loose control over the sequence and a lot of points.

BTW: How does the game usually end? By running into a magenta platform or by 0 points?

I've only hit the magenta platform once. It was a surprise as I was projected upward off of a grey platform and didn't see it coming. LOL! :-D

Usually I get falling so fast at the bottom that the green platforms aren't helping at all to slow me... I end up crashing through several multi-colored and totally out of control to my death! It's quite a rush actually. Hehehheh. :-D

My current high score is: 1663.

A few more ideas... although I realize you are probably running out of bytes.

1) I went back and played version 0.21 - I really like the fact that you bounce off the walls on that one... this could really bump the difficulty (pardon the pun)... say on difficulty A or something.

2) Orange platforms - upon hitting one of these, all game mechanics and sprites become reversed/flipped. You now fall up and play the game in reverse. Good for variety(?)

3) Perhaps a more obvious idea, but is there any chance of moving platforms? Deadly moving magenta platforms! :twisted:

I can't stop playing this game. New hiscore: 2144

A few more ideas...  although I realize you are probably running out of bytes.

That, a last(?) timing bug waiting to be fixed and a deadline tonight. :)

1)  I went back and played version 0.21 - I really like the fact that you bounce off the walls on that one...  this could really bump the difficulty (pardon the pun)...  say on difficulty A or something.

Yes, bouncing with a paddle. I did think about that, but I didn't work out that well.

2) Orange platforms - upon hitting one of these, all game mechanics and sprites become reversed/flipped.  You now fall up and play the game in reverse.  Good for variety(?)

That's impossible with the current game as it "forgets" the platforms above (there is only a small buffer remembering them).

3)  Perhaps a more obvious idea, but is there any chance of moving platforms?  Deadly moving magenta platforms!   :twisted:

If I had enough bytes free, I would definitely do that. Though when falling at high speed, slow moving platforms wouldn't be very dangerous.

I can't stop playing this game.  New hiscore:   2144

Carry on trainig, I'll post the final version tonight. :)

I've only hit the magenta platform once.  It was a surprise as I was projected upward off of a grey platform and didn't see it coming.  LOL!  :-D

My evil master plan works! :evil: :D

Usually I get falling so fast at the bottom that the green platforms aren't helping at all to slow me... I end up crashing through several multi-colored and totally out of control to my death!  It's quite a rush actually.  Hehehheh.  :-D

So that seems to work too. :)

I am wondering about a new name... :ponder: