IGNORED

Armchair Arcade Issue 3 is now out!

Armchair Arcade's third issue has just been released with eight all-new articles. The articles include: Discworld MUD: Slinging Dirt with David Bennett, Keeping Things in Perspective: First Person Shooters Vs. Platform Games, Atari 2600 Expanded Homebrew Review: Thrust+ Platinum Edition, The Videogame in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction, Good Deal Games - An Interview with Michael Thomasson, The Power Glove Lives!, Songbird Productions - An Interview with Carl Forhan, and Why Write for Armchair Arcade?

Please visit www.armchairarcade.com to read all the articles!

I agree - great review of Thrust. Armchair Arcade is a different reading experience. I have read all three issues. It has different content and style than other similar themed magazine/newsletters. It approaches videogames more like an academic journal would. At first I honestly didn't really like it because I read academic journals all the time and videogame reading is more of a light breather and a nostalgic trip (something to read by the pool, etc.) However, I now know what to expect and I commend the writers - nice effort! Any similar experiences.

Take care,

RG

Well, we have only one real academic on our team, Matt Barton. Matt did try to initially make it more like an academic journal (since that what he knows and thrives in), but frankly I find academic/journal writing often tedious (with apologies to my wife who is a medical editor for journals).

I'm obviously not an academic, nor has anyone else been to date (except Matt), but I do believe in going into great detail on anything we create for an issue. It's funny, but it seems some online publications treat the Web the same as print - meaning there is limited space and you should be on a strict word count. I'm not saying every article should be 10,000 words, but frankly, if it takes that many to cover all aspects of a particular subject, then by all means go for it. That's one of the beauties of the Web--the virtually unlimited canvas.

I hope in future issues to further expand our reach as well, going into more technical articles covering old computers and what-not. I'm also going to start to request review copies, since we've finally established ourselves and I'm comfortable we're not going anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and the readership. It really is appreciated.