IGNORED

Copy protected disks?

The Copylock bit cell density track when copied using an analog copier was considerably messed up when tried it. So to say it doesn't work because of that is probably the reason - and I tried it on both old and newer versions of Copylock on the Amiga.

How do you know that this was probably the reason? How do you know it wasn’t something else? Hmm, you said before it “usually fails”, now you say it fail always …

Let’s talk numbers:

What is the precision of the CopyLock density?

What precision an analog copier achieves?

What precision can you measure using your tools?

What precision the CopyLock software expects?

And what is more important. Explain why an analog copier will fail at all to reproduce a “cell density” precisely enough?

Again I am not wrong. Flakey bits as we define them do exist: on the Amiga. I guess from your statements that they do not exist or are at least far more rare on the ST. What I said above has been seen in practice, a game that checks for these "flaky" bits on an analogue-copied game fails because the bits are no longer changing, exactly as we describe on the site. Analogue copiers cannot reproduce this. However yes, it is perfectly true to say that I was not aware of the techniques causing a similar effect, not that it really matters.

LOL. Your own "expert" acknowledged that “weak bits” intentionally produced are usually not “as you define them”. But this doesn’t matter.

How many Amiga games with flakey bits (I will use your own terminology to avoid confusion) were produced “as you define them”, and not by “causing a similar effect”?

How do you know at all which “type” of flakey bits are present in a specific disk? The only reliable way is by reading at the flux transition level. But you already acknowledged you don’t.

I would like to know which game has flakey bits that they don’t change anymore when copied by an analog copier? And don’t answer me with a game that an analog copier can’t copy, this is not the point. The point is if the flakey bits are not flakey anymore and the program fails for that reason (and not for other reason). And are you saying that the Cyclone can’t copy any disk with flakey bits at all?

An analog copier can perfectly reproduce flakey bits. There are plenty of ST, PC, and Atari 8-bit examples. Want me to list games that an analog copier can perfectly copy? And again, explain from the theory why an analog copier won’t copy flakey bits?

So are "flaky bits" anything like "bad sectors"? When I was a kid and I was copying Apple and Commodore games (some for legal backup, some for admittedly bootleg purposes) I was always told that the reason some copies failed was because they didn't have the intentionally "bad sectors" that the original did, since the disk drives couldn't purposefully write bad data or create corruption; it was a mechanical process done in production and checked for by the software itself. In fact some of the Commodore copy programs I owned had specific vendor lists of titles and protection schemes, and for each one someone had hacked the game so it wouldn't check for bad sectors when you copied it (or so I recall, my memory on it is kind of hazy).

For copying more or less protected stuff:

I recommend "Bitte ein Bit", a german Bitcopy, and "T-Nibbler", which stands for Turbo-Nibbler.

Most copy protected disks (which means most games) can't be copied by any ST software (nibbler) copier. Software copiers can copy earlier US releases and some european ones. But most protections simply can't be reproduced without extra hardware.

So are "flaky bits" anything like "bad sectors"? 

Bad sector is sometimes used as a generic term (sector with any kind of error). And sometimes it is used for a specific type of error (Sector Not Found).

Weak bits is a very special protection, it is known also as fuzzy, phanton, wondering, flakey, and some more terms I don't remember. Weak bits is my prefered term, but feel free to use whichever one you like.

It consists on bits that change every time you read them. So each time you read a sector with weak bits, you get different data.

Yes, there are some copiers that hack the program instead of actually copying the protection (because they usually can't really "copy" the disk).

Doesn't there exist a copier that apples a patch to a copied game to make it work? Like a parameter? Like on the other platforms. The C64 and Amiga had lots of them. You would copy the disk, then apply the patch for that game, and presto a cracked copy!

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't there exist a copier that apples a patch to a copied game to make it work?  Like a parameter?  Like on the other platforms.  The C64 and Amiga had lots of them.  You would copy the disk, then apply the patch for that game, and presto a cracked copy!

839809[/snapback]

Yes .. Evesham (I think) released the Disector on the ST. It copied the disk, cracked it and then wrote back a cracked copy. Mostly handled the old (first gen) Copylock disks if I remember.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I won a bid for the Blitz Copier and cable from ebaY so I will be able to copy all my copy protected software now!!!! Woot.

846740[/snapback]

erm you will be able to copy -some- of your protected software tjlazah. Sorry to rain on your parade, but blitz even in protected mode won't do all titles....

karlm.

Well I won a bid for the Blitz Copier and cable from ebaY so I will be able to copy all my copy protected software now!!!! Woot.

No device (that you can buy) can copy all ST disks.

The Discovery Cartridge is the best device. Second best is the Catweasel.

The Blitz, or any other analog copier, is not really recommended for copying any disk. Not even simple not copy protected disks. It is not about what can copy, but about how it copy. Or more precisely, how reliable are copies made with an analog copier, as discussed previously on this thread.

Well the Blitz was able to copy almost all my disks except for Batman and Ghosts 'N Goblins. I actually was able to copy Batman with an Amiga Super Ami II Card !!! But not Ghosts'N Goblins! Darn!

Edited by tjlazah

This is typical of an analog copier. It can copy very advanced protections but it can’t copy some simpler ones. In some cases it won’t be able to copy disks that a software copier will easily handle.

Note that some copy might seem to work, but will fail at later stages. But again, the important point about analog copiers is not what can copy and what it cannot. It’s about the reliability of the copies it makes.

I’m not sure about Ghost and Goblins. If you send me a Pasti image of your disk I might be able to offer some hints.

• 13 years later...

@tjlazah

Great! Please email contributions@caps-project.org, and we will sort you out with all the software you need and take you through the process.

The same goes for anyone else of course. icon_smile.gif

I have 150 or more originals that I am copying with Pasti I would like to find a program that will copy them to hard drive I use an Ultra Satan with a micro usb chip so dumping them to the PC is easy. I also have manuals with over 50 % of them that I can scan in on my flat bed scanner (20 inches by 14 inches). Russ Campbell. PS: I am dumping everything to mega at the moment so I will not loose the images. W are talking about rare wargames as I picked up a wargamers collection, stuff that is unheard of. List coming soon.

This is typical of an analog copier. It can copy very advanced protections but it can’t copy some simpler ones. In some cases it won’t be able to copy disks that a software copier will easily handle.

Note that some copy might seem to work, but will fail at later stages. But again, the important point about analog copiers is not what can copy and what it cannot. It’s about the reliability of the copies it makes.

I’m not sure about Ghost and Goblins. If you send me a Pasti image of your disk I might be able to offer some hints.

I have lots of Pasti images ijor: I will send you a link to my Mega site with just the new stuff (over 150 titles coming soon, all originals)

Russ Campbell

• Like 1

I am going to make one , I have the disk that contains every program for the Blitz copier, but I hear its not that great, the Happy Discovery cart is better, I know where I can borrow one for while if it has been fixed, last I heard it had a few popped caps in it.

For anyone else here is the link: Note that Mega's web site is down , it loads the link but locks up I and others are having problems , instead download or use Megasync and import the link until they get back online ... Russ

https://mega.nz/#F!MF9TzK5a!u-hDGys9tlW_-YecqOSPJw

PS: New image for US cards being uploaded as we speak , 16 GB card copied with Peters Drive Image program, but its 11 Gigs! Yikes!

• Like 1

No device (that you can buy) can copy all ST disks.

The Discovery Cartridge is the best device. Second best is the Catweasel.

The Blitz, or any other analog copier, is not really recommended for copying any disk. Not even simple not copy protected disks. It is not about what can copy, but about how it copy. Or more precisely, how reliable are copies made with an analog copier, as discussed previously on this thread.

The only disk I have that I can't backup with my Discovery Cartridge is TMNT but it's no big deal there's cracked copy on the net.

For anyone else here is the link: Note that Mega's web site is down , it loads the link but locks up I and others are having problems , instead download or use Megasync and import the link until they get back online ... Russ

https://mega.nz/#F!MF9TzK5a!u-hDGys9tlW_-YecqOSPJw

PS: New image for US cards being uploaded as we speak , 16 GB card copied with Peters Drive Image program, but its 11 Gigs! Yikes!

Holy fucking sheep shit! thanks