IGNORED

2004 Mini Game Contest has started!

Cybergoth

A votepack containing _all_ games will be released soon. The voting is starting soon and everyone can participate there being in the jury, you just need to register an account on the Compos entry page.

Yes, everybody!

And your votes will be quite relevant. Last year there where not more than 40 people voting and many games got voted by less than 25 people.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, the 2600 directory is so poorly organized!!! I called my document file "manual.html", I didn't realize it would be thrown into a directory with a bunch of other files! Would it have been so hard to put each game and all its supplemental files in its own directory?

What about allowing ATARI ST and AMIGA submissions in the 2005 minigame compo?

Both systems can be considered "classic" and are about 20 years old now and I think there are a few coders in the AMIGA/ST communities who could make good 1K or better 4K games.

I remember that there are some 4K games for the ATARI ST, made for demo compos, so it's possible.

Thimo

Hi there!

You should suggest that on the contest board! :)

I'm positive about this. While 16-Bit machines are much more powerful than 8-Bit machines, but on 4K they're probably also extremely limited just because of that power - They have a higher screen resolution to fill and they have less space for code, because they can do 16-Bit operations...

Greetings,

Manuel

While 16-Bit machines are much more powerful than 8-Bit machines, but on 4K they're probably also extremely limited just because of that power - They have a higher screen resolution to fill and they have less space for code, because they can do 16-Bit operations...

Maybe, but they still would have a huge advantage (e.g. powerful BIOS), they could switch to lower resolutions and there are IMO more than enough consoles/computers to evaluate already.

So, I am against it. But maybe an own category for 10..16bits is a good idea.

Hi there!

they could switch to lower resolutions

To witch lower resolution should an Amiga switch for example? Also, it has no "charset" mode. I think it'd be amazingly difficult to program a good Amiga game in 4K only, despite all the power this machine has...

Greetings,

Manuel

To witch lower resolution should an Amiga switch for example? Also, it has no "charset" mode. I think it'd be amazingly difficult to program a good Amiga game in 4K only, despite all the power this machine has...

I dunno, maybe we should check the available demos to see what is possible.

And probably they still could use the same mechanics as the 2600, just with more CPU power.

It has been said that with the latest X86 based computers, you can do wonders in 4K of code/data. As long as the limit is 8192 or 32768 bits (!), I assume it is just as much advantage over someone else than having custom chips or RAM to unpack into. But as Manuel said, it is up to the next compo organiser - whoever it will be - to make that decision.

Since the TI-99 is allowed, and it uses a 16-bit CPU through a 8-bit bottleneck, it could be argued that Sinclair QL, IBM PC/XT/AT, Apple Lisa/Macintosh, Atari ST, Amiga, Apricot F1 and whatever other computers with a larger bit width should be welcome - if nothing else than in the so far unused Oddballs category. Of course those should not require software apart from the system default libraries, ROM routines etc.

Hi there!

they could switch to lower resolutions

Greetings,

Manuel

The AMIGA's graphics-system is very flexible and it's possible to use more or less bitplanes for more or less colors (more colors=more memory usage).The resolution, especially on PAL systems, can be overscanned and up to 4096 colors (HAM) are supported on an old AMIGA (non-AGA), but usually up to 64 colors in EHB mode.

The ATARI ST has 3 resolutions, monochrome HiRes, Medium Res and LoRes, but it's possible to use only 1 or 2 bitplanes in LoRes modus to save memory usage of graphics data, while losing colors.

It would be difficult to create colorful graphics in 1K, but it's possible in 4K.

The 68K code is "longer", takes more bytes, but there are instructions for mutliplication for example that most 8 Bits don't have and a lot more registers.There are powerful packers for both ST and AMIGA, too and both systems have at least 512K of RAM (except very early AMIGAs AFAIK).

The AMIGA has the advantage of having sprites and a blitter, STs have no sprites and early STs had no blitter, so games that should work on all STs

would need software-sprites.

The AMIGA's soundchip would have no big advantage in a 4K game, since there is no room for large samples and chiptunes are not much better

than on the ST.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a separate "16 Bit category" with AMIGA , ATARI ST, but also 80x86 PCs, Macintosh, Apple IIGS , Sega Genesis, SuperNES , NeoGeo and other 16Bit systems.

Thimo

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a separate "16 Bit category" with AMIGA , ATARI ST, but also 80x86 PCs, Macintosh, Apple IIGS , Sega Genesis, SuperNES , NeoGeo and other 16Bit systems.

Yes, but aren't there already similar contests for (some of) those platforms?

• 2 weeks later...
LAST day for voting!

Vote now! Vote fair!

And don't press the "submit votes" button when you mean to press the "save votes" button!

Whoops...too late for me! I only did about half the ones I would've otherwise. I try to give some constructive criticism about a lot of the UI elements on the site on the msg boards there...

Hi there!

Whoops...too late for me!  I only did about half the ones I would've otherwise.

Or you could have just asked the organizers for undoing your submit. :ponder:

Oh, didn't know it was an option...

Uhm... but you posted in the very thread where just that happened, it was called "submitted by mistake" for a reason... :ponder:

Greetings,

Manuel

Uhm... but you posted in the very thread where just that happened, it was called "submitted by mistake" for a reason... :ponder:

I just double checked the thread, and I don't see anyone asking "please undo my submission" or anyone saying "here I undid the submission"...so it's not clear that it's an option.

Hi there!

I just double checked the thread, and I don't see anyone asking "please undo my submission" or anyone saying "here I undid the submission"...so it's not clear that it's an option.

Double Checked? What about:

Paolo: "Okay, my mistake, I pressed the submit button instead of the save one. Is there any way to roll back?"

Steve: "no problem, you should be all fixed up now."

Paolo: "Thanks Steve"

Greetings,

Manuel