IGNORED

2004 Mini Game Contest has started!

Cybergoth

Well, I wasn't that sure. And Splatform isn't that bad, is it? ;)

As someone from the competition said.

"Not bad, but not as good as the original C64 version. Lack of music."

Why would people be comparing these to superior systems anyway? I think people should take ports as the game that it is first then look at all the things that are similar/different between the games.

Sheesh, you should have gotten music in 1K. :roll: j/k

If you look at this years C64 submissions, you will see many where good music seems to have been way more important than good gameplay. Looks like many C64 fans just have different priorities.

If you look at this years C64 submissions, you will see many where good music seems to have been way more important than good gameplay. Looks like many C64 fans just have different priorities.

Did any of the 2600 submissions besides JoustPong have music?

Seawolf has some great intro music and Falldown 2600 has a very distinct 3 note jingle.

@Thomas: I just now played the newest version of Splatform that you entered into the minigames competition; I hadn't realized that it was a different version number than what I was playing. The animated smiley is a very nice touch and really adds to the feel of the game! 8)

@Thomas:  I just now played the newest version of Splatform that you entered into the minigames competition;  I hadn't realized that it was a different version number than what I was playing.  The animated smiley is a very nice touch and really adds to the feel of the game!    8)

Thanks. :)

While heavily optimizing the code for my 3rd game, I found some new tricks to save a few bytes and then used those for the additional Splatform animation.

Falldown 2600 has a very distinct 3 note jingle.

I really don't think that counts ;) , it takes up all of 6 bytes...

I'm happy with how Fall Down did though - the main complaint was that it was too hard, but then I had added an easy mode the day after the submission deadline.

My mistake, it's actually 18 bytes. Maybe it does count after all...  :ponder:

Out of context if I were ever to hear those three notes played in succession - at the same interval - I would automatically think "Falldown 2600". Maybe I'm alone here, but I think that counts for something. :-)

Actually, isn't it the first 3 notes, at about the same rhythm, as when Mega Man's prototype (Protoman I think) warps in for like...I dunno, Mega Man 3 I think?

Yeah...listen to it at http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/7006/sounds.html , scroll down or ctrl-F for "protoman"...

In a similar vein, JoustPong's theme had 2 sources: this toy ukulele my gf gave me were tuned to the 3 notes, and I made up a pattern that reminded me a bit of what Super Mario Brothers 2 sounds like when you pause it, with just the bassline there...

• 1 month later...
  • 16 years later...

I remember there was some site(s) trying to catch up on previous contests and hold an archive - I was even briefly involved into that but quickly got sidetracked with something else - but I suppose those sites have gone defunct in 15+ years. Good thing that Wayback covers the original sites, and if it would be required I think me and several others at least have the game submissions saved locally, though possibly not all the voting details around it.

• Like 2