IGNORED

The Midnight Tiger

Unfortunately, it is. Here's what we had to say about it on the DP forum:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31634&highlight=midnight+tiger

OK, thanks. I'll take it off my web site today. I wish everyone who has read the book would review it at Amazon.com so people know how bad it is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...8618083-0425719

Ugh! He's selling Midnight Tiger?????

Is that a horrible book? The writer of it asked me to put it on my own web site a while ago. Should I take it down?

This is off topic, but..

I had a bad experience with the author, Ben Coulson, with regards to the Midnight Tiger. A while back he wanted me to carry the book in the AtariAge Store. He sent me a copy of the book, and I looked through it briefly as I was busy at the time. In my initial browse through the book I saw MANY mistakes, as has been pointed out previously. I'm not talking just a typo here or there, but mistakes on nearly every page, with many factual errors. I told Ben I would go through the book in more detail when I had time and give him additional information on the mistakes I found.

Well, some time passes, and Ben periodically emailed me asking when I would carry the book, and he was getting somewhat anxious. Then something strange happened. Out of the blue on February 12th I received several emails from different people inquiring about the book. I quote,

Hello.  First time I have done this, not quite sure what to say?  I am looking for a book, an atari review guide called The Midnight Tiger Guide to Atari 2600 games.  I was told that you might be stocking it but I searched your store and could not find it.  I am trying to get a copy of it so could you please let me know if you are stocking said item or where I could find it.  My thanks to you

Next,

I was wondering if you have heard of a book called MidnightTigers Guide to Atari Games? and if so, is it available to buy through your website?  I have been looking to buy it and other atari type books.  If you know how they can be purchased, please contact me.  

And then,

Hi have you any plans to stock a review guide called the Midnight Tiger Guide to Atari 2600 games?  I was told that you might sell them cheaper than amazon.com.  Could you please advise if you have any in stock or if you are going to get any in stock?

These messages were received within a few hours of one another and came from different AOL accounts. Not 34 minutes after receiving the last email (from "John Carter"), I received another message from Ben inquiring again as to when I would start selling the book. I thought this was somewhat suspicious, but I didn't say anything. Then a week later I received an email from Ben using a different email account that MATCHED the email address that "David Walker" used.

I confronted Ben about this and he denied it all, claiming David Walker was a "co-worker" and that this was a work email address they shared. Right. Needless to say, I won't be adding this book to the AtariAge Store, not just because of the book's less than stellar quality, but also because of this attempt to manipulate me into thinking there is interest in the book.

..Al

I confronted Ben about this and he denied it all, claiming David Walker was a "co-worker" and that this was a work email address they shared.  Right.  Needless to say, I won't be adding this book to the AtariAge Store, not just because of the book's less than stellar quality, but also because of this attempt to manipulate me into thinking there is interest in the book.

That is pretty sad if someone tries to spur intrest in their book by sending fake emails and then lying about it when it is obvious there was no other people. (Like what are the chances of him and a "co-worker" sending emails to the same person about the same subject on the same day? Most likely about a million to one)

I would have been quite irate with him if he tried to pull that crap on me. :roll:

Thanks for the heads up from everyone about this book, I will be sure to NEVER pick up a copy of it. :twisted:

I had a bad experience with the author, Ben Coulson, with regards to the Midnight Tiger.

Thanks for the extra anti-Midnight Tiger information. I already took the links off my web site and I hope all of those who have read it and didn't like it will go to Amazon.com and write a negative review so that others will be warned. I haven't read it, so I can't review it.

I had a bad experience with the author, Ben Coulson, with regards to the Midnight Tiger.

Thanks for the extra anti-Midnight Tiger information. I already took the links off my web site and I hope all of those who have read it and didn't like it will go to Amazon.com and write a negative review so that others will be warned. I haven't read it, so I can't review it.

In one of those links over at DP, the author of Midnight Tiger obviously did the same thing by posting with a made up name, his support of the book and trying to discredit Leonard's review. Pretty sad shilling and don't these guys figure out that shilling through the internet is usually seen easily with all the electronic tracking?

In one of those links over at DP, the author of Midnight Tiger obviously did the same thing by posting with a made up name, his support of the book and trying to discredit Leonard's review.  Pretty sad shilling and don't these guys figure out that shilling through the internet is usually seen easily with all the electronic tracking?

LMFAO!

I just went back and looked at that post, you can see it here. The first time I read this message I didn't think much about the username foxbatslayer, but then it clicked!! The guy's main email address is foxbatslayer1989@aol.com. This address was listed as contact information for an article on the book in Retro Magazin (appears to be the April issue, but I don't have the magazine, only found a PDF of that single page here.)

That certainly sheds any doubts I might have had about what Ben was attempting to do to me. The many errors in the book don't seem very surprising in hindsight, as this guy doesn't appear to be too bright.

..Al

I just went back and looked at that post, you can see it here.  The first time I read this message I didn't think much about the username foxbatslayer, but then it clicked!!  The guy's main email address is foxbatslayer1989@aol.com.  This address was listed as contact information for an article on the book in Retro Magazin (appears to be the April issue, but I don't have the magazine, only found a PDF of that single page here.)

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

BTW: I didn't know that you are reading(? ;)) German magazines.

Thomas, can you translate this for us?

With a "little" help from Bablefish:

Literature for Atari of 2600 friends

A new, remarkable book for all Atari

2600-Fans is recently in Great Britain

appeared, which we absolutely present you

want:

Ben Coulson: The Midnight tiger - Complete

Guide ton of Atari 2600 video Games

Midnight tiger?! Clearly: the first question, those

emerges! Calling the book has one

very special background. Ben Coulson, author

the book, only Atari is notfan but

full-time writers. In one its

Novels at which it straight, is called those writes

Main figure "Midnight tiger". There Ben besides

Fable for tigers does not have and it straight anything better

, he broke in for this title decided.

Whether this title and the pertinent frontispiece

itself absolutely salespromoting on its book

affect are times undecided, but possible

It has law cases thereby already in

Apron impossible... That would hereby be

clarified; -) In the age of the Internets are

New publications on the book market surely

rather the exception. Usually bring up for discussion

these books then also usually history

the video game industry or those describe

Variety of the historical geraetschaften. Here

however it exclusively concerns for that

VCS Atari 2600 published plays.

Ben Coulson, the author, collects after own

Data, since 1981 plays for Atari 2600 and

have accordingly all plays, those before

and appeared also afterwards in its

Book taken up. One sees times of

"regional" rare pieces and approve of Taiwan

Pirat copies off, in addition count also in

Germany von Quelle and other department stores

sold plays, the sub-title meets "Complete

Guide ton of Atari 2600 video Games "the nail

on the head!

All plays of the well-known and unknown

Manufacturers do not only become here on 180 sides

mentioned, no - all plays become

Comments delivered.

The comments contain personal in each case

Evaluations of the author whether the play value,

in addition, interesting background informations,

Rare piece estimates etc..

Even plays of "unofficial" manufacturers (Hozer,

Ebivision, Atariage) and prototypes are missing here

not! The plays are in alphabetical

Sequence arranged. At the end of the book

the author gives information to the individual manufacturers

(historical, information, number of programmed

...) and it also, numerous does not forget plays

To abandon InterNet addresses. This (unfortunately

only) into English paperback appeared can

I each collecting tank of Atari 2600 plays

recommend - the book pleases me really much

well! If one can live thereby, not always

with the estimates of the author conformal too

go doing and without pictures and Screenshots

can (then would be safe from the paperback

a thick expensive book become) and one not

collecting tank of pirat copies is absolute: BUY!

Appeared the book 2003 in the Upfront

P u b l i s h i n g VE r l A g (L e i C e s t e r s h i r e)

(www.upfrontpublishing.com).

ISBN: 1-84426-265-0

Momentary is me an order only over

AMAZON.de admits. Who a marked copy

of the author wishes, which has me Ben insured,

gladly personally, with the reference Retro can

To be magazine reader, with it contact

aufnehmen:Foxbatslayer1989@aol.com

It offers the book for 11,50 Pound (inclusive dispatch)

on, those are approx.. 16 euro. Ben puts still CD

for the PC von Hozer Hozer-Video in addition!

And still something: Ben Coulson works at present

at a "Arcade Review Guide (1975-2000),

the date of publication stands however still

not firmly.

OK, thanks. I'll take it off my web site today. I wish everyone who has read the book would review it at Amazon.com so people know how bad it is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1844262650/102-8618083-0425719

This is classic.. check out the user comments, and compare comment no. 3 with comment no. 5.

It would appear, that the people of Cranfield, Bedford (UK) are really into Atari 2600 gaming, or something... who'd have thought it?

This is classic..  check out the user comments, and compare comment no. 3 with comment no. 5.

It would appear, that the people of Cranfield, Bedford (UK) are really into Atari 2600 gaming, or something... who'd have thought it?

At least there are now two (very recent) bad reviews too. :)

This is classic.. check out the user comments, and compare comment no. 3 with comment no. 5.

Unbelievable, he uses most of the same text in both reviews and pretends to be an impartial reviewer at first. I guess his second review he signed it as the author but at least he was kind enough to leave a 5-star rating. What an enormous shill this guy is, must be from a family of snake oil salesmen or travelling con artists.

Talk about trying too hard, fix the errors next time and let the book sell itself. :ponder:

Thanks to those who are reviewing the book at Amazon.com. It's nice to see some real reviews. I hate fake book reviews. Some books at Amazon.com have fake negative reviews just because people don't like the subject. You can tell that some of them haven't even read the book, but a real negative review is very helpful.

For anyone else who has read the book and hates it, please keep those negative reviews coming:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...8618083-0425719