IGNORED

Any of you guys into Apple 2e type stuff?

Mock

So the Apple IIe could take a hard drive as well?  Interesting.  I wonder how the interface is?  I know the IIgs had some kind of GUI OS for such things.

I need a HD so badly.  I have so many disks with 15+ games on them its not funny.  To just put them all onto one HD would be bliss...

Tempest

Apple had a SCSI interface card for Apple IIe still available at times on ebay but goes for a lot of money. Usually $200 plus.

There was a company that sold an internal IDE card with a 2 1/2" laptop drive attached to the card. This was a couple years back, do not remember the company name but it worked great,

I have an Apple IIgs and an Apple //c I never reallly use the //c that much but I do stuff on the Apple IIgs all the time.. mostly I just stick to GS specific games but I do at times play 8bit games on it...

Anyway.. in addition to gaming I sometimes use my Apple IIgs to go on irc. Mostly I've been playing downloaded stuff on it... I really need to get some boxed original copies of games for it.

oh yeah.... You can't see it in that picture(link in "irc"), but I have a 350MB SCSI hard drive hooked up to the IIgs, which is what it boots to..... Actually you can see the hard drive in this picture:

ohmy.jpg

If I were doing it over I'd probably get one of the new CFFA interface cards instead of doing SCSI.... then I could have had the choice of either an internal IDE hard drive or a compact flash card (yes, a compact flash card like you use in a nice digital camera) for a bootable drive.... but now I figure.... with SCSI I can use a hard drive, my 2.2GB ORB cartridge drive, and a CD-ROM drive(which does actually come in handy if you know what to use it for) so it doesn't really make sence for me to change it now.....

And that CFFA card I'm talking about is compatible with most Apple II models, not just the IIgs. If you're interested in gettin gone you can order one here.

Apple had a SCSI interface card for Apple IIe still available at times on ebay but goes for a lot of money.  Usually $200 plus.

Wow, they've really gone up! Like I said in an earlier thread, I've got a couple of those. I may have to ebay one of them.

-S

It occurs to me that another Apple II item I'm looking for is a Mockingboard. Last time I saw one on ebay the prices were obscene (especially since only a handful of games used it). If anyone has one that they're willing to part with, let me know.

Tempest

$200 plus for a SCSI card? They've gone up allright if that's the case.... When I got my Apple High Speed SCSI card on e-bay a few years ago it was like $90.

If they were that expensive when I got mine I'd be going on Usenet in comp.sys.apple2.marketplace and trying to find someone with one for sale that way first for sure.

When I got my SCSI card Apple Rev C's were going for around $60, Apple High Speeds were going for about $100, and RamFASTs were going for around $150.

• Like 1

I wish I could edit this into one of my previous replies... The CFFA interface card I was talking about cost $105 so if SCSI cards really are usually around $200 for sure, then I'd defenatly recomend considering out the CFFA card instead of getting SCSI.

By the way, their order form says it requires at least a //e enhanced, but the main page says it should work with earlier Apple IIs now as it has been changed a little to make it work with earlier apple IIs....they probably just havn't updated all pages to represent that.

Heh, I remember how we used apple IIe's at one of my elementary schools. The teachers almost never cared what games we played, since they were all educational. One of the most popular was this one where you had to deliver pizzas and set up a bunch of pulleys to do it :)

$200 plus for a SCSI card?  They've gone up allright if that's the case.... When I got my Apple High Speed SCSI card on e-bay a few years ago it was like $90.

Not sure where the $200 came from! I sold one a few months ago, and only got $40 for it. It was mint, with manual! Maybe just bad timing, but I would have loved to have gotten $100+ for it.

$200 plus for a SCSI card?  They've gone up allright if that's the case.... When I got my Apple High Speed SCSI card on e-bay a few years ago it was like $90.

Not sure where the $200 came from! I sold one a few months ago, and only got $40 for it. It was mint, with manual! Maybe just bad timing, but I would have loved to have gotten $100+ for it.

I thought it sounded a little off....

Of cource with apple II stuff the prices do tend to go a little all over the place since there's so little demand that there isn't allways an easily comparable past auction to look at.

yet again I think of something more to say and can't edit it in...

Oh.. but what model SCSI card did you sell.. usually the only really popular ones are the Apple Rev C, Apple High Speed, and RamFast because they have the least compatibility problems and whatnot. If you look in the CSA2 FAQs (as linked in the links section of my website) you'll notice that they only recomend those three and mention a few that they recommend avoiding...

The only Apple IIs I have used were in middle schools. The Apple II has a special place in my heart as the spiritual precursor to the PC and PC games. However, you will note there is a special gap in Apple II emulation. This concerns good Mocking Board emulation, which only one emulator can boast at the moment. As this emulator does not seem to be available at the moment, I post it here. Some of you who may ask "what is a Mocking Board and why is it important?" Well, the Mocking Board was a sound card (1 to 2 AY-3-8910s on each Mocking Board) used in less than a dozen Apple II games. The most important games it was used in are Ultima III, Ultima IV and Ultima V, originally developed for the Apple II. (Other known titles include EA's Adventure and Music Construction Sets, Skyfox, Willy Byte, Popeye, Pitfall II, Spy Strikes Back and Night Flight.) The emulator is known as Apple in PC, and while a little finicky, it does work very well for most games.

aipc_v.1.25.zip

yet again I think of something more to say and can't edit it in...

Oh.. but what model SCSI card did you sell.. usually  the only really popular ones are the Apple Rev C, Apple High Speed, and RamFast because they have the least compatibility problems and whatnot.  If you look in the CSA2 FAQs (as linked in the links section of my website) you'll notice that they only recomend those three and mention a few that they recommend avoiding...

It was a Rev C - the High Speed one. I figure it was bad timing - at the time (about a year ago ? it was going for around $100, from what I saw on ebay).

It was a Rev C - the High Speed one. I figure it was bad timing - at the time (about a year ago ? it was going for around $100, from what I saw on ebay).

I've never seen a Rev C go over $60. But then as I said, the prices on Apple II gear do tend to jump around a bit... there isn't always a good means by which to compair things. When selling stuff for Apple II it's really just a mater of your luck as far as what you get for it. I'd really suggest the use of a reserve when selling apple II accessories.

Anyway, I'm sure someone thought it was really great timing. :)

I got my Apple high speed for $87 with a BIN... I was just following a Rev C auction by running a search for apple scsi cards everytime I wanted to go to it..when an Apple High Speed card showed up with what I felt was a fair BIN so I took it. Since it wasn't that much more than what the Rev C was at.... the auction was only going for a minute

The only Apple IIs I have used were in middle schools.

I thiink the first time I ever used an Apple II it was to learn touch typing in the 3rd grade. I also remember playing numbermunchers and other games... either that or it was playing games on a friend's Apple IIgs... I'm not sure which came first for me. I can also remember almost getting caught playing games on the school computers that this friend had smuggled into the computer lab during recess...which I can assure you were not educational games. :D

Instead of purchasing a HD for a IIgs, you can just hook an old Mac with Appletalk to your IIgs. My IIgs boots a bit off of floppy, then loads the rest of System 6.x off of the hard drive of the Mac. It's cheap, relatively fast, and very easy to setup.

you know I remember when the IIGS was about to hit everyone was hyped up on it being the next big thing, but it was so expensive at the time....I know I wanted one, but I had a fairly new IIC and my dad would never go for it...lol.

What was the deal with those? Are they that much better than the IIe? I don't really want to print or do any of that kinda stuff...strictly IIe games at this point is all I'm interested in...should I look at getting a IIGS ? I have almost all of the BIN's/Disk Images from the net for the IIe stuff...can you run those on the IIGS?

What was the deal with those? Are they that much better than the IIe? I don't really want to print or do any of that kinda stuff...strictly IIe games at this point is all I'm interested in...should I look at getting a IIGS ? I have almost all of the BIN's/Disk Images from the net for the IIe stuff...can you run those on the IIGS?

You should check out What Is the Apple IIgs? It has games and lots of other software with reviews box scans, and screen shots.

you know I remember when the IIGS was about to hit everyone was hyped up on it being the next big thing, but it was so expensive at the time....I know I wanted one, but I had a  fairly new IIC and my dad would never go for it...lol.

There is a huge diifference between the IIgs and the IIe. The IIgs is a 16 bit computer that's compatible with all of the older 8 bit IIe/IIc softwrae. Also, the IIgs has a full range of sound, graphics, that the IIe didn't have. Due to this, the addition of Appletalk, if I were to start collecting for II series, I would aim for the IIgs instead of the older models.

It's really a shame that Apple didn't promote it too much but it really was an odd computer. The Amiga and Macs were 68000 based and really shined during the time over the current offerings of the day. The IIgs was 65816 based and didn't quite fit in... it was better than the old 8 bit computers, but not as good as an Amiga or ST.

Also, there is lots of software on the IIgs that can handle binary files and other apple II image and compression formats. In my opinion, it's the easiest Apple II to get software onto after you've downloaded it. (especially if you have a Mac running OS 9 or earlier and an internal floppy drive since it would be able read and write prodos disks..3.5" disks only though.)

I have a G3  B&W Mac with 1G of RAM and a 450M processor...it only has a DVD drive in it...I run OSX 10.3 on it...still learning.

That wont help you too much. You need an older Mac(it's gotta be beige) running classic Mac OS (os 9 or earlier...but no older than os 7) with an internal floppy drive. OS X doesn't have the ability to read/write Pro DOS and USB floppy drives won't work with DD floppy disks unless you format them for MS DOS.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd dig up this thread to ask a question:

Can you format a 3.5 disk in Windows XP to work on an Apple IIgs (using some program of course)? I know I could write files to disks and have them work on my Atari ST.

Tempest