IGNORED

Missing 7800 Games

Pete Perpetua

When Atari finally got around to releasing the 7800,I think that there were 3 missing origional games, Ballblazer (Pictured on the 7088 system box), Moon Patrol, & Stargate. I actually ordered the last 2 from Villa Video who said they were on a list given to them from Atari. I know that there are not roms of these floating around, but anyone know if they were programmed?

Well, Ballblazer was released.

I just checked the original 7800 box and it has Pole Position II, Rescue on Fractalus, and Desert Falcon on the cover. Of the three, only Rescue on Fractalus was never released.

I don't recall hearing of either Moon Patrol or Stargate as ever having been started.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atrai.org

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

Well, Ballblazer was released.

I just checked the original 7800 box and it has Pole Position II, Rescue on Fractalus, and Desert Falcon on the cover. Of the three, only Rescue on Fractalus was never released.

I don't recall hearing of either Moon Patrol or Stargate as ever having been started.

Mitch

That was one of the few things that ever disappointed me about the 7800 after I bought it back in '86; that the RoF game I saw on the box (and one of the reasons I wanted a 7800-for a better than 8-bit/5200 version of RoF:like 7800 Ballblazer) was never released!!!

From what I was told, it appears that Rescue on Fractalus was one of the games that was in production in 1984 when the 7800 was stopped. When they resumed it in 1986 Atari tried to finish some of the games that had been worked on, but ROF was too early in development to bother with. Desert Falcon and Ballbalzer were finished however. I believe Skyfox was also unreleased because it was too early in development to be finished.

Moon Patrol, Star Gate, Track & Field, and other "classic" games were planned for the 7800 but never started. They were on the internal Atari part list however, which is why that shop thought they were going to be released.

Tempest

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]