IGNORED

Bubble Bobble

Tezz

Avram Excellent news about Bubble Bobble! So how about some work-in-progress screenshots..

Well, as requested in the 3D thread, here's some WIP screenshots on Bubble Bobble. It's a bit early in it's development but now that it's been mentioned, here's some shots for you all.

What I want to achive is as close to the arcade version as possible (although with the C64 title music)

The music is of course WIP too but let me know what you think of it so far.

I'm determined to finish this project and not leave it half finished. Any help would be apreciated though !!

;)

post-4724-1087944607_thumb.png

post-4724-1087944608_thumb.png

post-4724-1087944609_thumb.png

bubble.zip

• Like 4

I'm determined to finish this project and not leave it half finished. Any help would be apreciated though !!

;)

Wow!!! Outstanding!!! I would kill for playing this on my 8bit !!! All the best for this amazing project!!

Greetings from spain

twh/f2

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I hope to get some early previews uploaded soon. I'm intending to get the title and game intro completed first and I'm going to redo the software sprite routine used for the many enemy sprites on each level. The main Bub and Bob sprites are made from a combination of character "software sprites" and Player overlays. the colours are commonly on each level so I should be able to keep the correct change of colour scheme on each level or perhaps at worst one colour register will be the same throughout but I can work with that nevertheless.

I thought that this would be an ideal game to bring to the A8. It's certainly possible. The screen stays static during gameplay so a nice Dlist routine shouldn't prove too difficult. It's a popular with many people as well. I've certainly played it to it's conclusion in the past ;) 102 levels!!

It will be nice when the maps section of G2F is completed as this would make the level construction and character set handling much nicer to work out. I'm looking forward to this feature being completed.

here's a quick gif anim of the game intro that I'm intending to work out at the moment. I don't remember the bubble effect being recreated in any of the other platforms conversion.

I bet the demo coders will recognise the maths used here!

post-4724-1087983749_thumb.jpg

Sheddy Is that level 1 screen shot a mockup or actual in-game? - very colourful!
The sprites and background tiles do exist in the game. If you notice, there are only really 5 PF colours used. and the Player overlays on BUB and BOB. I have recoloured the items to fit the scheme. The cake for instance used the pinks rather than the original arcade spongecake with it orange and creme look. The level colour schemes and the related enemies and items are currently being worked out so that the actual game logic is next. I've got a long way to go yet! I really didn't want to announce the project until I had a working preview to post or a least some of the early stuff as a running preview.

Regards..

:D as far as i can remember the GBA & C64 version do have the rotating bubbles fx...

TMR, are you able to patch the c64 one so we could see the original c64 font instead of the bubble bobble charset? it would be cool to see how the engine is working ingame vise...

emkay Are we really going to see a full playable Bubble Bobble on the A8?
Hope so! I will keep on working on it :)

Heaven/TQA TMR, are you able to patch the c64 one so we could see the original c64 font instead of the bubble bobble charset? it would be cool to see how the engine is working ingame vise...
Cool, that would be great.. I have of course stripped some stuff from the C64 version (gfx wise) as well to look at but I will be trying to recreate the arcade graphics more closely as the C64 version has redrawn graphics which is a little different.

and the title track... i have heard millions of times on Atari ST... this is the bubble bobble title track or is it uses elsewhere as kind of "company jingle"?
Yes it's been around a lot. It's also a popular ringtone for phones!!

Sheddy Is that level 1 screen shot a mockup or actual in-game? - very colourful!
The sprites and background tiles do exist in the game. If you notice, there are only really 5 PF colours used. and the Player overlays on BUB and BOB. I have recoloured the items to fit the scheme. The cake for instance used the pinks rather than the original arcade spongecake with it orange and creme look. The level colour schemes and the related enemies and items are currently being worked out so that the actual game logic is next. I've got a long way to go yet! I really didn't want to announce the project until I had a working preview to post or a least some of the early stuff as a running preview.

Regards..

Oh yeah, I see now! Looks very effective by using the players as overlays.

Good Luck with everything!

sheddy Good Luck with everything!
Cheers Chris ;)

Heaven/TQA as far as i can remember the GBA & C64 version do have the rotating bubbles fx...
I'll have to check out the GBA version. How does it compare to the original gameplay ?

I used to like the ST version. It was a very close conversion to the original as I remember.

StartTheBiddingLow Just been playing on the C64 version and it is awful because the game is so incredibly slow.  

Won't an Atari XL/XE suffer too?

Well that depends on how well it is written. I thought that the C64 version was reasonable but not great. It doesn't look as though it was produced with much care and attention. There is no reason why the Atari version should slow or badly produced. There is a lot of active sprite activity in the game with the enemies, bubbles, bonuses etc. so a good and optimised software sprite routine is essential. The Atari has a slightly faster CPU than the C64 also. There shouldn't be the need for many cycle steeling routines just to make the title more visually appealing either. I'm confident that the XL/XE version will be fine.
  • Like 1

Heaven/TQA a pitfall might be the 512 definable chars vs. 128 definable chars

Yes, I've been thinking about the amount of level backdrop tiles and the 102 screen layouts. My coding is likley to be quite bulky and non optimised at first as I don't have the experience to keep the code nice and streamlined. The hi-res title screen will be taking up some of our valuable memory also. Maybe it will be a multiload as I will be making this for the XL in 64k. I will have to carefully pre-plan memory usage before delving in and getting caried away with the coding. Disk space shouldn't be a problem even with some nice intro, loading screen etc. added before the game. I'll use good old FlashPack 2.1 to keep that all down.

If you have any advice or good ideas for the coding or with aproaches to take with any side of the project I'm always open to suggestions and would appreciate any help.

How 4Pac doing? really looking forward to seeing that finshed.

Did you ever finish your Time Pilot conversion? That was looking great.

Regards, Tezz ;)

really? i thought the font is 4k vs 1k... and i can remember on my VIC that you have upper & lower case... but you can't mix them?

can you patch bubble so we can see how the screen is filled with chars? it's done like in the menace demos or is it like kind of highres simulation...

really? i thought the font is 4k vs 1k... and i can remember on my VIC that you have upper & lower case... but you can't mix them?

Not without splitting in the same way the Atari could (and i did with Reaxion) - after all, the screen is 1K and the highest char value is 255.

can you patch bubble so we can see how the screen is filled with chars? it's done like in the menace demos or is it like kind of highres simulation...

Don't need to patch it, that's the joys of having something like the Action Replay VI... =-) The screen is character based, bubbles and pick-ups are characters and Bub, Bob and the nasties are sprites.