IGNORED

Vintage Computer Festival East 2.0

Albert

VCFEast.gifThe Vintage Computer Festival (VCF) is an international event that celebrates the history of computing, with the next event taking place July 16-17, 2004 at the Sun Microsystems campus in Burlington, Massachusetts. The mission of the Vintage Computer Festival is to promote the preservation of "obsolete" computers by offering people a chance to experience the technologies, people and stories that embody the remarkable tale of the computer revolution. VCF East 2.0 will feature speakers, exhibits, a marketplace, and more! You can learn more by visiting the Vintage Computer Festival web site.

Any AtariAge members planning to attend this event?  I wish I could go, but work comes first.

I'll probably end up going. I went to the last one they had a few years ago. They didn't have many vendors which kinda sucked after blowing $10 on admission. I hope they advertise more this time. At least I only had to drive 1/2 hour instead of the 4-5 hours I heard one guy drive.

maybe we can get together some of NECG group and go check it out en masse? were there many video games for sale at last years event? if so how were the prices?

There was actually only one guy selling games (most were overpriced) and the white elephant table. The white elephant table wasn't anything great either, however I did see someone pick up an Atari with a supercharger for $15.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post this bit of info, yesterday I had the opportunity to attend and to be a guest speaker along with Steve Golson at VCF East 2.0

For those unfamiliar with the name Steve Golson is one of the programmers of Crazy Otto, a mod to Pac Man which later was tweaked slightly and became Ms. Pac Man for Miday.

Steve is also one of the chip designers for the Maria processor of the 7800 and worked for GCC, General Computer Corporation.

He and I did a 1 1/2 hour presentation on the history of GCC, the lawsuit from Atari to GCC, the partnership between GCC and Warner (note: that is Warner, NOT Atari) and the design of the Maria chip, the Atari 3600 and its evolution into the Atari 7800.

While nothing was set in stone, Steve and I arranged for an email to go out to the founders of GCC and its programmers and engineers in hopes that some might have the time to stop by VCF East and say hi.

10 GCC'ers show up, everyone from Doug Macrae and Tom Westburg to programmers and engineers showed up, they attended the speaker spot from Steve and I and we had a great time busting their chops and them heckling us a bit as the story was told.

Here is a photo of everyone, I will be receiving a copy of the speaker spot and it my hope that in a few weeks to put together a nice 20th Anniversary Atari 7800 Reunion DVD with the video, and lots of photo's, including some truly incredible eye popping photo's of stuff never seen before.

GCC_20th_reunion.jpg

Curt

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, a few days late, but here is the 20th Anniversary recap...

The delay was due to a new menu design for the Atari 7800 section of atarimuseum.com in general...

Some new area's are being added and some subsections will also be updated as well, but the new 7800 Main Menu is up and the 20th Anniversary Reunion section is up as well...

Enjoy the recap and photo's and I know come tomorrow morning there will be a lot of questions about one image in particular and I'll say this much now... the wirewrap proto is being worked on and because of some really funky stuff going on with it, emulation is VERY limited, but being worked out, some other items will be made available shortly...

Just need a few more days (and a little sleep too

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons.../7800/7800menu/

Curt