IGNORED

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

Alex H

Yes, brilliant is the word for this game. This could have the most addictive gameplay of all the 2600 homebrews. And I don't mean to disparage the others. I own 11 and can't wait to add this, Seawolf and Falling Down to my collection.

In case anyone doubted my high score. :D

post-808-1093408174_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I love this game but I vowed to stop playing it until another version is released. I have gotten burned out playing the unfinished version of previous 2600 homebrews.

It is brilliant though. If you have not checked it out yet, you need to give it a try.

But a warning, you might get addicted.

Can't wait for an update.

I booted this up on my dreamcast and played for about 45 minutes a couple of days ago - a record for me; I have no attention span or time these days.

Believe me .. it will be released .. and you will want to play it with the deluxe features!

Gosh, the game is already quite polished! I truly thought it was complete. I can't wait to see what the deluxe features are! :-)

You sound like you know something :D  8)

Well .. yes .. and I have no idea when ..

Sorry to be so slow on the updates. I am still working on it - latest binary attached.

First thing to say is that there isn't much change to the actual game since the last version. The level configuration is exactly the same and the blue section is still impossible to pass. (It's still just test data.)

I have added a proper title page, PAL modes (BW/Color switch to change display mode) and several other little improvements. There are more powerups in the works but some aren't functioning right at the moment so are disabled in this version. There is one new powerup to find though. :)

The sound effects still need some work.

For a clue as to the mystery "deluxe features" that Rob speaks of, see this thread.

Yep, MGD now has speech courtesy of Richard Hutchinson's excellent AtariVox module. The AtariVox also stores the preferred display mode and the top 5 scores, with player initials. 8) The high score table is only available when an AtariVox is attached though - not enough RAM to hold the high scores and run the game. For some strange reason the high score table does show up in Z26 though (something not right with the joystick port emulation me thinks) but it doesn't work right of course. (It runs correctly in Stella.)

Anyhow, hope you all like the way it's progressing.

Alex

mgd_291004.zip

For a clue as to the mystery "deluxe features" that Rob speaks of, see this thread.

Yep, MGD now has speech courtesy of Richard Hutchinson's excellent AtariVox module.

Ha, see I guessed correctly back in August. What do I win?

I can't wait to get home and play the newest version.

Sorry to be so slow on the updates. I am still working on it - latest binary attached.

This is well worth the wait! I think I just got a little bit more addicted!

This is so rad! I can't wait to see how it plays with the Atarivox! Will the Atarivox save the scores even when the power is off or just keep the scores while the game is running?

I dig the title logo - and is that a mango in there? I got two powerups I never saw before, but I won't ruin the surprise for anyone else here. I haven't seen the skateboard though... is it still around?

I gotta run play some more before work. :-D

Great updates 8)  

Not much changed, but what was changed really added a lot to the game :)

Agreed! I just fired this up in my CC2. The changes were not drastic but REALLY added a lot to the look / feel of the game as a whole. The new power-ups are cool too.

Can't wait for a final version. (No rush though! Take your time to make it perfect!) This is really looking as if it will end up being one of my favorite homebrews ever! :D

This game is a blast and is very addictive. Simple to learn, but you want to keep playing to get just a little further the next time around (similar to Thomas' recent games like Cave 1K). I played a few rounds and just got 79, need to keep playing. Once those platforms get really long it starts to get pretty damn difficult! :D Keep up the great work!

..Al

Yep, MGD now has speech courtesy of Richard Hutchinson's excellent AtariVox module.  The AtariVox also stores the preferred display mode and the top 5 scores, with player initials.  8)  The high score table is only available when an AtariVox is attached though - not enough RAM to hold the high scores and run the game.  For some strange reason the high score table does show up in Z26 though (something not right with the joystick port emulation me thinks) but it doesn't work right of course.  (It runs correctly in Stella.)

Is there any information about the AtariVox protocol available? Or could you post the code you use to detect the AtariVox in your game please, so that we can try to fix the problem in z26?

Thanks, Eckhard Stolberg

Is there any information about the AtariVox protocol available? Or could you post the code you use to detect the AtariVox in your game please, so that we can try to fix the problem in z26?

Hello,

The problem is that writing to the port direction register (SWACNT) doesn't have immediate effect on the value read from SWCHA.

ldx     #$00

stx     SWCHA          ; zero the ouput register

lda     #$ff

sta     SWACNT         ; set all lines to output mode

lda     SWCHA          ; read port

; the value read from SWCHA should be 0 but in z26

; the joystick switch states are returned

stx     SWCHA          ; zero the ouput register

; SWCHA now reads 0

stx     SWACNT         ; set all lines to input mode

; Reading SWCHA should now return the joystick switch

; states but in z26 it still reads 0.

; This is what confuses MGD into thinking an AtariVox

; is connected.

I believe the following gives the correct result for reading the port:

read_port = (SWCHA | ~SWACNT) & joystick_switch_states

Where SWCHA and SWACNT are the values written to the port data and direction registers.

Hope this helps.

Alex

wow...i cant wait til this cart is available! this is why it is so great that talented people are still cranking out 2600 titles. its going to be a masterpiece.....addictive game play, solid graphics and an interesting concept. one suggestion for the final version, because the tension builds as the game gets harder, perhaps some "mission impossible" type of background music would be cool. again, great job. 8)

I know "Man Goes Down" is the current selection for the title, but if you're not crazy about the innuendo in that, what about "The Descent of Man"? Kind of a science geek joke, it was the tiitle of a book by Darwin, pretty much free of blowjob references, which might be a plus or a minus based on your point of view.

I love random literary references. I'm still thinking about writing "Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphys" for the 2600...

with so much progress and the front page news story, is there any chance this gets released before the first of the year? :ponder:

I usually post news about all new homebrew games at some point, especially those that are fairly along in development. Overall not that many new homebrew games end up getting completed every year, and I like to encourage new homebrew development as much as I can. :)

..Al