IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic 2005 Needs You Now!

goatdan

The Midwest Gaming Classic has been over for just a little over two and a half months, and the time to start planning for the next Midwest Gaming Classic is now… only this year has to be very different.

To make a long story short, if the Midwest Gaming Classic will happen again in the future, we need your commitment to help us out now. Gary and I have had some great help over the past few years with Marty Goldberg and Tom Lucht, but unfortunately there is still too much work for just four people to do. We need to get help with everything from getting people to help sponsor the event to helping to create and distribute flyers.

The Midwest Gaming Classic has been a labor of love for Gary and I over the past three years. We have spent a lot of money creating a show that we really felt proud of, and we have no regrets. On the other hand, we have spent countless hours putting the show together and to date have lost a significant amount of money for doing it. We did not create the show to make money from it ­ we created the Midwest Gaming Classic as a way to bring electronic gamers of all types together to celebrate in the diversity that has occurred in electronic gaming over the past 100 years. We feel strongly that this year’s show totally accomplished that goal, and we are extremely proud of that fact. Unfortunately, our pride does not overshadow the fact that the Midwest Gaming Classic has lost well over $4000.00 in the three years of operation, and the show cannot continue in the future without a lot of help from the community.

This is where you come in ­ if you would like to help the Midwest Gaming Classic continue into the future, we need you to contact us in some way and offer your help. No matter what your skills are or where you live, if you can offer them you will help bring the Midwest Gaming Classic back to Milwaukee in 2005. We could use people for any or all of the following jobs and more:

- Graphic design for flyers

- Graphic design for the Web site

- People to distribute flyers throughout town

- Volunteers at the show to help man the entrances and exits and sell tickets

- People to write articles

- People to help contact prospective sponsors, vendors and exhibitors

- People with PHP skills to help update the Web site on a timely basis

- People in the Milwaukee area to provide more “things to do” pictures

- People willing to sell tickets to the event

- People to provide materials to help the event (paper, signage, tape, etc.)

- And just about anything else that you can think of to help!

The truth is that we are going to need a lot of help from people if there will be a Midwest Gaming Classic for next year. If we do not receive a strong response within approximately one month, we will either cancel the event for the foreseeable future or completely change the scope of it. I hope that everyone can understand our position on this matter.

If you are interested in helping the show, please email me at loosen@goatstore.com and tell me what you would be willing and able to do. Please also note what work, if any you have done in the past for any other projects. You do not need to live in Wisconsin or even be planning on attending the event if you want to help.

Thanks in advance!

Um, Dan, maybe I'm wrong here but "...to celebrate in the diversity that has occurred in electronic gaming over the past 100 years"? 100 years of video games? Did you mean maybe 20? :?

• 2 weeks later...

The Midwest Gaming Classic is as equal a pinball show as it is a video game, computer or arade show. Technically speaking, most of the forefathers of modern pinball games especially were released long, long ago but did not have electrical components. Here is a pinall table that was released in 1871 -- no electrical components however.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4542&rai...th=0&picno=6000

Electricity came to pinballs in 1932 with Jig-alo Electro-Ball:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1294&rai...th=0&picno=1225

I was mainly focused on these games when I came up with that number. On top of that, as mentioned, there are tons of other things that are from the same era such as slot machines and various simple devices (there is an arcade at Cedar Point -- or at least there was -- that still had tons of these machines available to play for a penny or a nickle. Most of these games focused around horse racing or other sports.)

And shooting arcades trace their roots back even further, to the point you have to make a judgement call on what counts and what doesn't...

That's the reasoning behind the statement.

If anyone else wants to volunteer by the way, please PM me. We've got a great response so far, and we'll see how it works out in the coming months :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God, I need to go to this. I was desperate to go to the one last year, but now I actually have my liscense. I'd be happy to help in some way, probably with graphic design (I have some photoshopping skills, not the greatest, but I'd be happy to do the simple stuff :) ) I could possibly write some articles as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...