IGNORED

8k Atari Pac-Man

Nukey Shay

Those eyes looked a bit better...so I used them :)

In addition, point values are now displayed when eating monsters...and the player's missile is now used to draw the energizers (so they no longer shift colors - they are always yellow). The monster's missile is used for the center of the "vitamin".

pacman8k.zip

• 2 weeks later...

PACtari sounds catchy. Good call :thumbsup:

Now, If only you could do something about that useless tunnel. Is this possible:

Is what? A sideways tunnel? Yes. Though I'm at odds of changing the maze. Part of me wants to...but part of me want to keep the maze unchanged (so that it is clearly a hack of Atari's game).

PACtari sounds catchy.  Good call :thumbsup:

Now, If only you could do something about that useless tunnel. Is this possible:

Is what? A sideways tunnel? Yes. Though I'm at odds of changing the maze. Part of me wants to...but part of me want to keep the maze unchanged (so that it is clearly a hack of Atari's game).

Maybe have the tunnels switch from sides to top&bottom with the flick of the difficulty switch :D

Well, if it's done right, (like at at the bottom of the second "chamber") it would still be recognizable as atari's version. (personally, I say damn the torpedoes.....etc, etc..) Actually, I'm just enjoying the sensation of something so......WRONG, being made right. Just wish I knew anything about programming so I could jump in with usable advice instead of just opinions. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Corrections:

Fixed the vitamin so it isn't eaten when using the tunnel. I also prevented the game from adding players after clearing boards. Instead, you begin with 2 reserve lives with 1 awarded after 10k only (10k after rollover will not have an effect)...same rules as the arcade game. These are kept track of seperately, so if 1 player reaches it and the other does not, the player that got it will have the last turn in the game :)

Due to public opinion, I increased the scoring to match the arcade game (besides the vitamin...which awards an unchanging 1k pts).

Adding a level counter for each player is also possible (there's currently 5 unused bits in each lives counter + 1 additional byte)...but with no way to indicate different levels, I'm not sure if it's worth changing :P

pacman8k.zip

Adding fruit shapes:

This is just a test binary...but what I've done is to change the player to a 30hz sprite when the vitamin is active, and then swap it out with a fruit shape instead. What still needs to be done is to remove the ball sprite that is occupying that space (so it shows up better) and add in a routine to allow different shapes. I can have up to a full page of memory to hold these :)

pacman8k.zip

All fruit shapes, colors, points :D

I haven't doublechecked all the levels, but it should allow going up to the 4th key (at which point, the level number no longer increases). I still have a bit left over for both players should I later add more faithful bluetimes. And the colors might be slightly off in PAL (B&W) mode, since it doesn't have the full NTSC palette, 'natch.

pacman8k.zip

Last one for now...dunno about much cycles left :(

Since I had half a page left in the fruit GFX tables, I added point values to be shown when collecting them (this does not pause gameplay...same as arcade). In addition, 1 fruit only appears in the maze on each level. If you die before it appears, you still have a chance to get it next life (this too is kept track of for each player). It shows up 1/2 minute into the maze, and disappears about 12 seconds later. Also, the fruit timer is reset whenever you die or a new maze appears...so it should remain at a consistant half minute for each fruit to appear.

pacman8k.zip