IGNORED

Almost got a 2600 Meltdown prototype for $1

joesmooth

If it's $200, someone should have just gone and offered it to the seller.

Why cry over spilled milk? I've seen how much prototypes can fetch on here. It's a no-brainer.

If I had the money, I might offer myself.

If it's $200, someone should have just gone and offered it to the seller.

You're assuming he would have sold it for $200. He probably would have kept jacking the price up. Still, if it goes on ebay I can see it going for $800+

Tempest

I admit, I don't know much about prototype prices.

And if the seller is going to be an ass, it's possible that he's not selling a genuine prototype.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $50 for a game I wanted. I am grateful that there are people out there who do this and maintain websites where we can see these prototypes up close. That alone, takes big cojones to do.

And if the seller is going to be an ass, it's possible that he's not selling a genuine prototype.  

I personally wouldn't pay more than $50 for a game I wanted. I am grateful that there are people out there who do this and maintain websites where we can see these prototypes up close. That alone, takes big cojones to do.

Re-read my original post. The store owner didn't even know he HAD a prototype until I pulled it out of his $1 Atari 2600 cart box. It was at that point when he took it into the back, decided he wouldn't sell it (even after I offered him the $50), etc. So, now that he knows he has something good (or at least, we THINK it is something good), chances are it's going to require teeth pulling to get him to let go of it.

Joe

Re-read my original post. The store owner didn't even know he HAD a prototype until I pulled it out of his $1 Atari 2600 cart box. It was at that point when he took it into the back, decided he wouldn't sell it (even after I offered him the $50), etc. So, now that he knows he has something good (or at least, we THINK it is something good), chances are it's going to require teeth pulling to get him to let go of it.

Joe

You were too nice If it was me. There would be know teeth pulling Just picking em off the ground. :P

Let me guess. His name is Steve, and the shop was Game World.

Yes sir. I assume you're familiar with him, then? This probably isn't an isolated incident?

I haven't spoken to him in about three years, but yes, I know him. He's one of those people who knows nothing but the business side of games, and probably hasn't played anything in his massive collection at all.

Let me guess. His name is Steve, and the shop was Game World.

Yes sir. I assume you're familiar with him, then? This probably isn't an isolated incident?

I haven't spoken to him in about three years, but yes, I know him. He's one of those people who knows nothing but the business side of games, and probably hasn't played anything in his massive collection at all.

Hey if you know him then if you ever go back up to see him tell him its not

worth that much! ;)

At least then the game can be preserved! ;)

He's one of those people who knows nothing but the business side of games, and probably hasn't played anything in his massive collection at all.

I thought I should mention that I did go down, and I take back what I said. Steve's a cool guy. I met him when I was young and angry, I guess.

The lesson here is that if you find a game with a handwritten label, tear that label off before you take it to the counter. Talk about how you buy useless unlabeled carts to rework into homebrews.

I don't understand how a shopowner puts something on the shelf in the first place without checking it out, but I've seen it happen.

I'd like to hear the missing piece of the story. What information did you recieve that took you straight from

interesting looking cart with a handwritten label. It was in a 20th Century Fox case

to

After talking with Curt, we realized that it was most definitely a 2600 prototype of Meltdown

Curt knows his stuff, so I'm not doubting you guys. But I'd love to know how you could have figured out what it was. Did you get to see the game plugged in? If not, and if this is just based on a label that reads MELTDOWN then who knows what it is. We know all about mislabeled Fox protos don't we?

Actually... thats not a bad idea at all, something everyone should keep in mind in the future, just tear the label off of the thing next time if its some rinky-dinky handwritten jobby...

Curt

Joe

The worst is when you get some dealer with like a 3-4 year old price guide and is going by that and you're trying to explain that a shipping container (just an example) of the game he wants $500 for was found last year and the game is now only worth $5 each....

Curt

Actually... thats not a bad idea at all, something everyone should keep in mind in the future, just tear the label off of the thing next time if its some rinky-dinky handwritten jobby...  

Sacralige! :D

Tempest