IGNORED

Hack'em! / Hangly Man combined :)

Nukey Shay

3200 pts. fixed. One bug that shows up is if a monster is eaten when the player's position isn't changing (i.e. the monster bumping into you when you are resting against a wall). Zero bytes free to fix that problem :( And the fruit timer is still thrown off by 16 frames when the point value is being displayed (true...it's just a fraction of a second. But if all 4 monsters were eaten when the fruit is on-screen, it would disappear 1 full second sooner).

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

There's also a point value for the fruit too.

Not possible to add...unless I removed the death animation completely (and even then, I'd be 2 frames short). Right now, I'm at 3 bytes free in the entire 8k, so adding in the additional code would also be tricky unless more is removed.

How's this doing on jitters?

Corrected...and the banner changed slightly (it will also display at the start of a game). Also, I was told that some emus have problems with the long filename...so I went with the shorter one (the individual builds have been abandoned anyway).

ZERO bytes free...chances are looking pretty slim that I'll be able to improve collision detection in the fast game. No matter...it's the easy version anyway ;) This might be the final version unless bugs crop up. Any jitters?

hack_em_.zip

Not possible to add...unless I removed the death animation completely

Don't you dare even consider it!!! No points display for the fruits I can live with but the death animation is part of what makes the game *ac-Man. :wink:

This might be the final version unless bugs crop up.  Any jitters?

Give me a couple of minutes. I can't quite make myself turn off Walsh/May beach volleyball. :lust: :P

Not possible to add...unless I removed the death animation completely

Don't you dare even consider it!!! No points display for the fruits I can live with but the death animation is part of what makes the game *ac-Man. :wink:

True...but one compromise would be by using the Ms.PacMan death sequence (i.e. a spinning player). But since I'd also have to recode the fruit routines in order to display the points, it's a non-issue (I don't have any memory OR machine cycles to spare).

This might be the final version unless bugs crop up.  Any jitters?

Give me a couple of minutes. I can't quite make myself turn off Walsh/May beach volleyball. :lust: :P

I forgot to post back. :ponder:

Just wanted to let you know that I got a big assed screen roll on the fast/smart setting on last night's posted version. And a tiny jitter every time that the GO disappeared.

I'll give tonight's version a look-see once the Walsh/May gold medal game is finished.

I'll give tonight's version a look-see once the Walsh/May gold medal game is finished.

GOLD!!!!!!!

Ok, now back to business. What do you want to hear? An honest, dirty report or a gut feeling?

The honest report is that the "GO" stutter is still present in the newest version and I did see a couple of minor screen jumps throughout the game.

The gut feeling is that you should probably put a fork in it, Nukey. I'd say that the game's pretty much done! The glitches that I'm seeing are extremely minor and I have to think that they're more than a little related to 7800 timing sensitivity issues. The game looks great and plays great. I'm totally digging the points being shown when the ghosts are eaten and WildBill was right - the pause really does add a great touch. Most important of all, the game FEELS like Pac-Man. Who'd have ever thought that we would have ever been able to say that about a 2600 game! :D

I should probably add, however, that I've generally just been testing the main game. I hope that someone else has been keeping a watch on the variations to make sure that some glitch hasn't crept into something there.

BTW the fast+smart version should have the highest risk of running out of time - causing a jitter or roll...while the slow+random version should have the lowest risk (less lines executed on every frame).

I knew that. :wink:

I'm not sure that I saw any glitches at all when I played a quick slow/dumb game. My ADD brain doesn't like playing the slow version nearly as much though. :P

BTW the fast+smart version should have the highest risk of running out of time - causing a jitter or roll...while the slow+random version should have the lowest risk (less lines executed on every frame).

I knew that. :wink:

I'm not sure that I saw any glitches at all when I played a quick slow/dumb game. My ADD brain doesn't like playing the slow version nearly as much though. :P

There is one solution that I haven't used...and that is to do double adjustments when fast is selected. This should eliminate any timing issues and allow me to use the improved collision detection...but the Pac sprite would move less smoothly. Not sure if I want to use that method tho...but I might have to if I can't solve it any other way.